General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Chewie9999
(newbie) Sat 29-Mar-14 01:52:05
Print Post

Daisy Communications - great until November 2013

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

I have been on the "same" ISP every since I got ADSL in 2001.
I was with Griffin Internet, which got sold to Eurotel, and then to Daisy.
Everything was fine, with no problems about bandwidth consumption or reliability until I got loads of CRC and FEC errors for several months during the summer last year.
After logging a call they "fixed" it by dropping the speed from 11mb back down to 8mb (which was the max a few years before).
Anyway, things got worse when in November I got a bill for >£300, which included a charge for "data overusage".
When I complained, they said that they had turned on their data caps.
I said... ok, what is my data cap, and they said "2GB".
I replied "So I'm paying £70/month for 2GB.... seriously???"

After a long silence they tried to explain that there should always have been a cap but they had only just turned it on after the takeover from Eurotel a few years ago. They still didn't seem to get that paying £70/month for only 2gb was a little on the pricey side.
I was told that my only choice was to accept the new terms, or move to a new contract (12 months minimum).
I thought that in that case I would see if I could get some extra services, so I asked if they could provide IPv6 and to check that I could keep my static IPs.
Someone rang back to say that there was no guarantee that I would keep my current static addresses, and yes, I "could have 6 IP addresses".
After explaining the difference between "6 IP addresses" and "IPv6" and another long pause, they said they couldn't provide this.
By this point, I had got a bill in December for >£500, so I cancelled my DD before it could go out - the £300 had already gone out for the previous month, with no refund.

Aaanyway, at this point, I thought I might as well move to a new ISP as it was pointless staying with Daisy.
I found a post on this site for a company called Fluidata, which I have moved to, as they provide IPv6 and don't seem to have a bandwidth cap.

Even though I moved in mid February, Daisy still have not sorted out my account (29th March). They have refunded my over payment as a "good will gesture", (a laughable phrase - it should never have been applied in the first place), and any attempts by them to find my contract to prove I should be charged for >2gb (which they couldn't, and have never seen one since I received a very short one from Griffin Internet) have failed.

So far so good with Fluidata (although they don't seem to have many IPv6 customers, judging by the 3 weeks extra it took to configure IPv6 and lack of working IPv6 DNS servers), and although this is the same line as with Daisy, my speed seems to have increased back to the previous level without any noticeable errors.

The only thing now is to get fibre from BT.
This was originally "31st December" (a surprising date), then "January - February", then "January - March", then "February - March" and now "July - December"..... [censored]!?!!
We only live <1 mile away from the main exchange in a city of > 240,000 people...

</rant>

Laters!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Mar-14 14:57:50
Print Post

Re: Daisy Communications - great until November 2013

[re: Chewie9999] [link to this post]

Terrible treatment and almost certainly contra-contract.
In reply to a post by Chewie9999:
The only thing now is to get fibre from BT.
We only live <1 mile away from the main exchange in a city of > 240,000 people
When you put your phone # in http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ does it give a cab # on top line? Make sure you are not EO.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Chewie9999
(newbie) Sun 06-Apr-14 17:28:08
Print Post

Re: Daisy Communications - great until November 2013

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I'm sure it would be contra-contract if they actually had one for me....
At least it meant that I didn''t have to give them 3 months notice.
However, they're still messing about with invoices.

Allegedly I will get the last one (all sorted) in a week's time....
I won't help my breath..!

Thanks for the link! It's better than the usual BT checker.
Unfortunately it still says "31-Dec-14":
"FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Sorry it's taking us longer than planned to get your cabinet ready for service. Please bear with us."

frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to