General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hagen
(newbie) Mon 14-Apr-14 19:37:52
Print Post

OpenReach Negligence - PlusNet Compensation

[link to this post]

Between Friday 4/4/14 and late on the following Monday afternoon we had no landline nor broadband due to Openreach leaving a pole replacement work with the wires to a neighbour and us crossed. We have been offered £3.40 as compensation. I spent several pounds on my mobile for 90 minutes trying without success asking PlusNet to get it sorted out. We then had to rely on mobiles over the weekend, together with in inconvenience of all our inward calls going to the neighbour.

Am I being unreasonable in expecting full compensation for the costs and inconvenience suffered due to OpenReach's negligence?

Also PlusNet told me OpenReach do not work overweekends except for emegencies - I have since been told it depends on the contract between the ISP and OpenReach: is this correct?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Apr-14 20:22:11
Print Post

Re: OpenReach Negligence - PlusNet Compensation

[re: hagen] [link to this post]

Residential services generally give no compensation unless a voice line is not working for more than four working days.

So Friday 4th to Monday 7th would not have got anything for voice based on usual rules.

On the weekend work, weekends are generally emergency and business care level faults.

90 minutes to report a voice fault sounds a very long time, for voice its a simple test usually to show there is a fault, so unless lots of queuing no reason for call to take too long.

All down to what was in the contract you signed, and Plusnet are probably meeting that and possibly a little more. Might be able to negotiate something more if a lot of the cost was reporting the fault and sloppy Plusnet call handling.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Apr-14 20:55:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

plusnet do seem to have a considerable queueing time or did not so long ago, i think the 1.5hrs spent on the phone to support is a combined total figure of perhaps several calls/attempts perhaps to report the fault,

But if OR screwed up then they should have to pay compo imo, chances are they don't/wont though, everything stacked nicely against the bill payer

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 14-Apr-14 22:07:58
Print Post

Is your line rental with Plusnet, as well as your broadband?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Apr-14 22:48:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by hagen:
I spent several pounds on my mobile for 90 minutes trying without success asking PlusNet to get it sorted out.
That's the disadvantage of not being with BT for voice, even if it cost more unpackaged; you can report voice faults online (using mobile data if necessary) and their voice fault handling is excellent.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 14-Apr-14 22:59:05
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Plus when your phone is out of order you can have free diversion to your mobile and a small daily allowance/rebate for outgoing mobile calls.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User hagen
(newbie) Tue 15-Apr-14 20:47:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes we have a broadband/phone package with Talk Anytime.

PlusNet have come back with an offer of 25% Discount from Broadband bill over 3 months which is better than £3.40 - we are on a Market 1 exchange so our 1.5mbs speed is £16.99 per month.

Some neighbours had a card posted through their door warning them of the work, others including ourselves received no warning.

They also stated "Unfortunately crossed lines can happen following a pole replacement. Our suppliers have no way of identifying this kind of issue as all testing will pass as it had done when you contacted us and we tested the line. We will therefore be unable to raise a complaint to Openreach regarding this.". In the 21st century is it impossible to check that all wires are simply reconnected correctly- if it is, is it wise to finish the work immediately before the weekend.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Apr-14 20:58:48
Print Post

Openreach is a law unto itself, given its de factomonopoly. There should be some way of getting direct compensation from them for this sort of cock-up. There are other kinds as well. The trouble is there is little ISPs can do about it.

Maybe it's a subject people should raise with Ofcom.

(Not getting warned about the job - was the one some received from Openreach?)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Apr-14 23:57:16
Print Post

if it is, is it wise to finish the work immediately before the weekend.

So they should only finish pole replacements Monday through to Thursday, what a non-sensical theory.

Standard User ainsley001
(regular) Thu 17-Apr-14 06:53:23
Print Post

Plusnet have been trying to solve a sync speed problem with my fibre line for several weeks (now resolved, fingers crossed). As part of that process I've had to have Openreach visit twice and on both occasions I was offered visits on a Saturday and a Sunday so I presume the bit about Openreach and weekends is nonsense
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to