General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User arvcov
(newbie) Thu 03-Jul-14 23:51:22
Print Post

Talk Talk Providing very slow speed

[link to this post]

I signed up for Talk Talk's simply broadband package a few weeks ago and the installation was done last wednesday. On the date of installation I managed to get a speed of approximately 7 mbps and though it wasnt fast like virgin I still was satisfied with it as most of my work involves just browsing the net and occassionally watching a video on youtube (low res ones not HD as it wont stream continously in this connection). Anyway from Friday last week I noticed a steady drop in connection and started getting average speeds between 2 to 3 mbs. Still I felt it might have been due to weekend with lots of folks just logging onto the net and downloading stuff and hence reduction in speeds. Anyway this slow speed contiinued over till Monday and I started getting worried as even browsing websites started getting slow. Finally I called talk on Tuesday. The person on phone gave the usual suggestions of restarting the router, disconnecting the cable which I did but not much effect as speed continued to be at 2 mbps and during peak hours (4pm to 10pm) it went down further to like .7mbps at times! I checked at ookla's speedtest site and it showed .7mbs to 1mbps during peak hourse. I then tried resetting the router to no avail. Yesterday I called them again and guess what I was asked to do the same 'tests' such as switching off the router, restartijng my pc,. I was then transferred to the 'technical team' and guess what suggestion they gave? They asked me to open the telephone connector box [the one installed by bt] as they wanted to check something. I refused as its not my job and there is a risk of some shock plus I am under the impression we are not supposed to open this box as its supposed to be bt's responsibiltiy. Anyway I refused to do what they suggested and then guess what they said they will need to send a bt engineer to 'check' the line is ok and the next 'earliest' appointment was for next saturday and also there will be a 50 pound visiting charge plus if any repair work or parts to be replaced will be charged extra! I argued that as speeds were not as advertised (at time of signing up I was told I will get around 7 mbps at my residence at Coventry ( near to city centre!) and they told me that as far as they are concerned at time of installation the line was fine and if any problems happening after that is responsibility of customer and they need to pay!! what a joke! Oh I forgot the technical team also suggested I upgrade to their fiber optic connection as its supposed to be 5x faster and ofcourse will cost more obviously!

I think the real reason why speeds are slow is because they are capping it or they have got way too many subscribers and very less bandwidth to share with all and hence the slow speeds and ofcourse they are never going to admit it and will instead play innocent and claim to know nothing about it!

anyway if any of you are planning to sign up for their service be warned that you might or might not get the advertised speeds!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Jul-14 23:58:07
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk Providing very slow speed

[re: arvcov] [link to this post]

Accessing the test socket is described in the phone book and is a safe procedure to undertake. If you do t do that then engineer visit is chargeable

Your router will have a line stats page

The page http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/stats/routers.html#hg532 shows the page and the numbers of interest

Next question is whether there are any phone extension and do all phones have a microfilter fitted?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User professor973
(experienced) Fri 04-Jul-14 01:04:09
Print Post

That is typical of Talktalk in my experience and they shocked me this very day. I have recently been looking to reduce cost as I spend a lot of time away from this location, but cannot really do that without the dreaded TT oir a TT reseller. I get 13+ Mbps download speed as I have had with all suppliers.
Upon helping a friend next door with a printer today, I noticed they had switched to TalkTalk as they were sporting a new router advertising the fact. How is it? I asked ... Cheap but a bit slow was the reply. A speedtest revealed 1.5Mbps - the same as all other examples of TT I have encountered. Market 1 LLU exchange so should not be the dreaded connect service ... Think I will count my blessings and stay put.

Zen Business Talk - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png

Edited by professor973 (Fri 04-Jul-14 01:05:51)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User boranatty
(newbie) Fri 04-Jul-14 09:08:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

A Friend in the village was with TT, he only the had the 1 master socket,he lived 500 yards from the Market 1 exchange,his speed varied between 7.5 and 1 meg,often being below 2,TT blamed him for all his problems,they sent their engineer who walked through the door looked at the single socket,did no test whatsoever and was gone in 5 minutes telling him to do constant speed test and they would monitor the test and sort the problems,after 6 months of no contact from TT unless he call them he moved provider and his speed never drops below 7meg,so TT did a lot of talking but could not address the problem
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 04-Jul-14 09:25:54
Print Post

[re: boranatty] [link to this post]

And remise of the engineer to not do any tests as even with a single socket a wiring fault in the network can cause problems, was this a TalkTalk boost engineer or an Openreach one?

As always first port of call is look at the connection statistics from the modem.

When we last looked at TalkTalk speed tests for a general roundup there was no indication that its ADSL2+ services were a LOT slower than the competitors. The last set of data we published was May 2013

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2013/05/talktalk-broa...

If the few posters here are the tip of a larger iceberg of slow speeds we would see a large flat section on the ADSL2+ plot, rather than one that mirrors the likely effect of line length versus speed.

NOTE Not saying individuals have issues but the overall picture suggests it is limited numbers of people.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User boranatty
(newbie) Fri 04-Jul-14 09:39:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
And remise of the engineer to not do any tests as even with a single socket a wiring fault in the network can cause problems, was this a TalkTalk boost engineer or an Openreach one?

As always first port of call is look at the connection statistics from the modem.

When we last looked at TalkTalk speed tests for a general roundup there was no indication that its ADSL2+ services were a LOT slower than the competitors. The last set of data we published was May 2013

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2013/05/talktalk-broa...

If the few posters here are the tip of a larger iceberg of slow speeds we would see a large flat section on the ADSL2+ plot, rather than one that mirrors the likely effect of line length versus speed.

NOTE Not saying individuals have issues but the overall picture suggests it is limited numbers of people.

It was A TT engineer well that is what he claimed to be,we viewed the router stat's on many occasions and they were always showing what they should be seeing how close he was to the exchange,TT often commented that everything was okay but could never explain the slow speeds that they could see via the online speed test,I am pretty sure they knew what the problem was but did not want to be honest about it,they did start offering him big discounts to put up with the problems,but whats the point of paying less from something that is not fit for purpose
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Fri 04-Jul-14 10:29:34
Print Post

The DSL checker returned for FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 70.2 20 17.9 so I thought it reasonable to expect a connect ion of at least 60 14,

TTs [business] predictive speed was 38 10 for their "Complete" [80/20] package. Checked with them to make sure I wasn't accidentally being given data for their 40/10 offering but was told this was the lower end of predictive speeds that the line would support on the "complete Package". Won't know of course until the line goes live what the delivered speeds are, but relationship with TT hasn't got off to a good start. Based on this experience, it does indicates to me that the subject heading could be true.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 04-Jul-14 10:31:02
Print Post

[re: boranatty] [link to this post]

OK sounds more like congestion - if it speeds improve after midnight and tail off from about 3pm onwards each day then generally congestion is the cause.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Fri 04-Jul-14 13:25:18
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
The DSL checker returned for FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 70.2 20 17.9 so I thought it reasonable to expect a connect ion of at least 60 14,

TTs [business] predictive speed was 38 10 for their "Complete" [80/20] package. Checked with them to make sure I wasn't accidentally being given data for their 40/10 offering but was told this was the lower end of predictive speeds that the line would support on the "complete Package".

Unlike their residential arm on FTTC, TalkTalk Business do NOT offer the 40 meg package....its the 80/20 service or nothing. Having said that, when i ordered their 'complete' FTTC service a couple of months ago their confirmation email gave my estimated speeds as 39/19 despite their online checker saying i could get 76/19. The latter proved to be correct as i'm synced at the full 80/20 on TTB smile

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps