General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ColinA3
(learned) Fri 04-Jul-14 16:33:32
Print Post

Coms'edy Continues

[link to this post]

When Coms bought ADSL24 they promised not to change our T's & C's, and also promised that there would be no adverse effect to our connections.

After the switchover, my speeds were down a good bit. ADSL24's excellent support people all seem to have been replaced by script-reading, low-cost resources from India, and were no use whatsoever.

Shortly afterwards, Coms introduced traffic throttling, with some users reporting 2k/s on torrents.

A week or two ago, I noticed my Coms-hosted web site was displaying an error on the front page.

...and now Coms are introducing yet another change and downgrade in service, while keeping their premium prices:

"Dear Customer,

I am writing to provide you with 30 daysí notice of our intention to vary the terms and conditions of your contract with Coms Ltd, specifically in relation to the provision of services.

After careful consideration we have decided that on the 31st September 2014 we will be terminating our email and web hosted services. Our decision has been based on the ongoing viability of providing these services, which is unsustainable."

Can't believe what these clowns have done to the once-great ADSL24 frown It surely can't be long before they've no customers left at this rate?!

I would have left sooner, but was waiting on the new fibre cabinet round the corner being enabled. Now it is, and I'm off to Plusnet. 80/20 unlimited package, £22.49 a month. Rather more appealing that Coms ludicrous 80/20 offering: £59 a month (plus £108 activation!) for a slow, throttled service with [censored] support, and no email or webspace. Hmm, let me think about that...

/rant
Standard User dontasciime
(newbie) Fri 04-Jul-14 16:53:44
Print Post

Re: Coms'edy Continues

[re: ColinA3] [link to this post]

Does this mean I won't have an email associated with my coms account eg the email adsl24.co.uk provided us as part of the package we were paying for and the same contract coms agreed to adhere to and supply us with.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-Jul-14 06:35:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by ColinA3:
After careful consideration we have decided that on the 31st September 2014...
As no such date exists (unless it's your typo) then can they actually do it?

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ColinA3
(learned) Sat 05-Jul-14 08:56:21
Print Post

[re: dontasciime] [link to this post]

Yes, that's exactly what it means.
Standard User ColinA3
(learned) Sat 05-Jul-14 08:57:33
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
In reply to a post by ColinA3:
After careful consideration we have decided that on the 31st September 2014...
As no such date exists (unless it's your typo) then can they actually do it?

Heh, not my typo, I copy-and-pasted it from the email. Hadn't noticed that rather silly error - they can't even get that right!
Standard User thinkit
(newbie) Sat 05-Jul-14 10:38:46
Print Post

Do you know if it will also affect the SMTP [mailsender] for email accounts?

I mean NOT Coms.co. or adsl24.co.uk based accounts, but 'any' email account that is sent using COMs SMTP login.

Thanks
M
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 05-Jul-14 11:08:05
Print Post

[re: thinkit] [link to this post]

Probably, yes. But you will have to wait until 31st September to be sure.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Goldovite
(newbie) Sat 05-Jul-14 13:49:28
Print Post

I know exactly where you're coming from. When the transition happened I lost my connection for days, and firstly they denied the problem was at their end. Before this they just kept asking me to check my modem. I KNEW it wasn't my modem. Eventually they admitted the problem was at their end but I eventually went on to find out that the whole migration from ADSL24 was horrendously executed. Even an IT novice would know that you don't just migrate everyone at the same time, as Coms did.

During my time with Coms, I had a lot of unexplained outages, sometimes for days at a time. It was irritating.

This all culminated with them losing all my email back to Febuary. I was actually in my mailbox when I saw a load of emails disappearing before my very eyes.

I found out that their hosting servers had some weird 'read only' problem so they had to do a reboot but somehow this went and reset everything back to February. I didn't care about their explanation. I just wanted know whether my emails were retrievable. All I needed was a simple answer - yes or no?" You'd think this would be a simple thing but all I was given was the runaround. To tell the truth, I didn't really need any of the emails but it was the principle of it all.

They finally admitted in the end that none of the emails in between February and June could be retrieved.

I also found out (it doesn't get any better), that their system was hacked by spammers and their servers had a backlog of spam creating even more problems. Not the kind of service I want to pay for.

I had been so happy with ADSL24, and then this joke of a company comes along and ruins it all.
Standard User thinkit
(newbie) Tue 08-Jul-14 11:06:02
Print Post

[re: Goldovite] [link to this post]

Thanks for confirming ALL you said - I was then right at the time!

I also been told SMTP will cease too.

Maybe a move is the only thing.

What about EE [that owns Orange which I never liked and Tmobile, etc.] ?

Edited by thinkit (Tue 08-Jul-14 13:52:12)

Standard User thinkit
(newbie) Tue 08-Jul-14 13:51:33
Print Post

[re: thinkit] [link to this post]

Also I bet the FIXED IPs too - being on ADSL24 block I believe!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to