General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BTSuffering
(newbie) Fri 25-Jul-14 12:23:20
Print Post

Upgrading From TalkTalk To BT Infinity = InfinityOfSuffering

[link to this post]

Thinking Of Switching to BT from another provider? Read My Story.

- On the 24th June I fill in an online application to switch from Talk Talk to BT, I want BT Infinity, arranged for 9th July, all good so far.
- I get my router as promised.
- On the 9th I get cut off.
- Nothing from BT, no text, no phone message, nothing.
- I then get my BT order cancelled.
- Then BT advise via text that I will be contacted with a new date on the 17th July, and also the 22nd July. I have no new date.
- Yesterday I was informed that I could not keep my old number, I now have to have a new phone number, the soonest they can now "fit me in" is the 5th of August.

I e-mail BT residential services every day, they have ignored my mails every day, they don't even bother responding to me. It's actually making me ill.

That's almost a months disconnection. I don't even know if they will fix it then.

Graciously, I understand that they are prepared to waive the £130!!! reconnection fee.

Still thinking of switching?
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Jul-14 17:37:32
Print Post

Re: Upgrading From TalkTalk To BT Infinity = InfinityOfSuffe

[re: BTSuffering] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BTSuffering:
I e-mail BT residential services every day, they have ignored my mails every day, they don't even bother responding to me. It's actually making me ill.

If they have already advised you, then there is no point in responding to these emails...

In fact all you are doing is delaying others from getting replies.

That aside. Why not actually speak to them and see what is going on? Clearly you are not short of a internet connection. Or you would not be able to email....

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Jul-14 22:00:05
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JohnR:
Clearly you are not short of a internet connection. Or you would not be able to email....
It might surprise you to learn that some people work in offices where they have connections to the internet and that some coffee shops and restaurants also have free internet connections. tongue

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer

Edited by jelv (Fri 25-Jul-14 22:02:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-Jul-14 02:10:07
Print Post

One thing to learn with the big ISPs is that email doesn't get a fast reply. I have also found the call centres can deal with more. E.g. If you live chat with Sky they will virtually always forward you to call them as they don't have the resources on live chat to sort out the problem.

TBH if that's the date they have given it's likely that's the case...

Something I have found to be the case and may explain your issues. This has happened to me when I've moved home / changed broadband online.
When you place an order online, for some reason it gives you dates which are a lot sooner than they offer on the telephone. If you go ahead and choose one of those dates online it fails - why, there's not a BT engineer actually available. This happened to me with both Sky and BT.
Since then I have done home moves and sign ups on the phone and it's always been accurate. I think the online systems can end up inaccurate with regards to the BT engineers OR more likely I was just unlucky.

It's really hard to tell who is at fault in this situation. Perhaps talktalk terminated your old service when they shouldn't have OR BT just messed up. I feel like TalkTalk probably placed a cease on the line and your services which would mean BT couldn't take over the phone number etc. Did you ring TalkTalk and ask them to cancel your services? If you did this would mean they would instigate a cease of the services which would cause these kinds of issues.

To keep it smooth I would have sorted out the deal with BT. Then just waited and not informed TalkTalk as BT should be able to deal with all of that. Then when the switch actually occurred I would ring TT to sort out the final billing etc. That's how I always do my moves.

It's very complicated and can quite easily go wrong if one provider does the wrong thing. Cancelling TT will cause a cease which will mean around a month of downtime and I think that's what happened here.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 26-Jul-14 02:11:08)

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Jul-14 18:36:02
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
In reply to a post by JohnR:
Clearly you are not short of a internet connection. Or you would not be able to email....
It might surprise you to learn that some people work in offices where they have connections to the internet and that some coffee shops and restaurants also have free internet connections. tongue

Well give that man a medal.....

My whole point..... blush

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 26-Jul-14 19:30:36
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

But the office mail server could be binning the replies as spam smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(newbie) Mon 28-Jul-14 09:54:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi There,

Thanks for the responses, some additional info.

I'm communicating with BT from work, I had no access at home. The reason i'm using e-mail is that it's pretty difficult for me to persue a long conversation via phone in work, and besides, I want a record from BT of what's going on, rather than have to remember everything.

The e-mail spam filters not a problem, as BT did intiially respond, until I mailed back a complaint and then they did not respond again, not sure why, it's not as if I was abusive or anything like that, but they won't even acknowledge that they recieved it, and this was almost 2 weeks ago, hence my frustration, and repeated mails. Perhaps it defaults to a different internal dept? I have no idea.

I have never spoken to Talk Talk, BT handled the whole thing.

My partner took a few days off last week and managed to speak directly to a handler (on her mobile) to sort things out, and we got a priority engineer arrive last friday to reconnect us. The phone is now working, yey!, but the BT Infinity is not. Apparently they sent the wrong engineer round, and he was not trained to do the work???

Note that I now have a complaints handler, who seems very motivated to sort things out, in all fairness to her, encouraging progress is being made. She is able to mail me in work, and that's appreciated.

BT should be back out this week, fingers crossed as I have been without broadband for almost 3 weeks now.

My situation seems very straightforward, I'm really not sure what happened to my line to make it so difficult. It's really turned me off ever wanting to change again. Is it usually this much hassle?
(newbie) Wed 30-Jul-14 10:37:25
Print Post

So...an update on this. We had an appointment for BT Infinity between 1:00 and 6:00 on the Monday. Despite my partner changing plans and sitting in the house monitoring the front door during this entire time, no-one from BT turned up.

I tried the hub when I got home from work on monday, it did not work. (flashing red light)

I spoke to BT the following day in work, my complaints handler checked, and she confirmed the work had been done at the exchange the previous day, and all is now working, it would have been nice if they had communicated this to my partner.

When I got home I checked the hub again last night, and this morning it still does not work. (red flashing light). I also tried it this morning, and before anyone suggests, I tried all the usual resets, restarts, different cables, different filter etc etc etc.

I contacted my complaints hander again, I have no response at all, perhaps she's not in today...

It's now been 3 weeks without internet... Sigh...

I'm unsure as to what I can actually do now, I guess I just need to grind this out. I did have a chat with my partner about cancelling the order, but I'm not sure where I stand with that, and also I feel that as I have got this far, should I see this through??

I'm not looking forward to the 18 months contract if anything else goes wrong at all when it's up and running.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 30-Jul-14 10:49:18
Print Post

Were you on FTTC with TalkTalk?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(newbie) Thu 31-Jul-14 13:56:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No I was not on FTTC with Talk Talk, just basic broadband.

Further updates, another apology from BT, they are getting another engineer to poke around the cabinet and exchange on friday morning. They don't seem to need to come to the house. Im unsure why, as surely it would be better to check that it's actually resolved in one visit rather than put me through a series of hoops.

I'm not sure how this is different to the work they did on Monday, which I have to assume was done correctly, I have no way to prove this.

I guess I will just have to wait until tomorrow night to check again.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to