General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Tue 02-Sep-14 12:51:01
Print Post

Zen - nuisance silent calls

[link to this post]

For my company I organise the broadband service for our remote users and the company picks up the tab.

Now with one such installation we have a problem with silent calls that come in around midnight almost ever night. Having tried every option thrown at us by Zen, none of which worked, decided to have the number changed specifying that the number had to be ex-directory and not given to directory enquiry services.

On the very day the number was changed, and even before a select few were given the "new" number, a further nuisance silent call came in. Zen seemed to be entirely baffled by this turn of events and have gone away to scratch their heads.

This is all very well but another disturbed night is on the horizon. Anyone with any ideas of how to crack this problem?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Sep-14 13:00:17
Print Post

Re: Zen - nuisance silent calls

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Can Zen not trace the number for you?

I haven't read this (not enough time) but there may be something in there as to who you can complain to to escalate this. Automated dialers are often the cause of nuisance calls and are illegal (assuming it is from the UK).

Also, it could be there is actually a line fault somewhere and that it isn't actually a real call (not sure of how this would happen but seems too much coincidence that it happened on a brand new number - that to me suggests physical line issue rather than nuisance call).
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Tue 02-Sep-14 13:22:47
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Also, it could be there is actually a line fault somewhere and that it isn't actually a real call (not sure of how this would happen but seems too much coincidence that it happened on a brand new number - that to me suggests physical line issue rather than nuisance call).

Exactly the same happened to me after the new installation of a Sky box..............

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Tue 02-Sep-14 13:40:35
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Can Zen not trace the number for you?

I haven't read this (not enough time) but there may be something in there as to who you can complain to to escalate this. Automated dialers are often the cause of nuisance calls and are illegal (assuming it is from the UK).

Absolutely no information given on 1471 following the incoming call.

To me everything seems to point a physical line fault and with Zen on the case I have [misguided/] faith that they will get to the bottom of this issue. Well I will at least give them a reasonable amount of time to come up with a plan of action.
(committed) Tue 02-Sep-14 15:31:02
Print Post

Have you tried changing your microfilter?
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Tue 02-Sep-14 15:41:44
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

Microfilter contained within the faceplate.
Standard User professor973
(experienced) Tue 02-Sep-14 15:50:10
Print Post

Simple - Get a Truecall box. I swear by mine, it even blocks International withheld numbers that the B.T. paid for service cannot.
http://www.truecall.co.uk/home.aspx

Zen Business Talk - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 02-Sep-14 16:00:46
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

It may not be a phone call.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User lexden16
(member) Tue 02-Sep-14 16:32:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
For my company I organise the broadband service for our remote users and the company picks up the tab.

Now with one such installation we have a problem with silent calls that come in around midnight almost ever night. Having tried every option thrown at us by Zen, none of which worked, decided to have the number changed specifying that the number had to be ex-directory and not given to directory enquiry services.

On the very day the number was changed, and even before a select few were given the "new" number, a further nuisance silent call came in. Zen seemed to be entirely baffled by this turn of events and have gone away to scratch their heads.

This is all very well but another disturbed night is on the horizon. Anyone with any ideas of how to crack this problem?

FWiW, you are not alone in experiencing phantom telephone calls. The Fritz!Box 7390 modem/router suffered from this problem up until about a year ago. The manufacturer's response was as follows:

Thank you very much for the enquiry you submitted to AVM Support.

Ghost calls and DSL disconnects parallel to incoming telephone calls occur
due to electrical impulses. The latter mostly is caused by a wrong cabling
with an analog landline.

Verify that only the DSL splitter is attached to the main telephone socket
and that no other terminal devices (e.g. telephone, fax machines etc.) and
no other telephone sockets (e.g. via extension leads) are connected to the
main socket. Connect any terminal devices to the extensions of the
FRITZ!Box.

The problem disappeared after I double-filtered the telephone line. I replaced the 7390 with a 7490 about 6 months ago and it has standard telephone filtering and there haven't been any issues. I am with ZEN both for BB and phone.

FWIW, the 7490 allows unknown and withheld calls to be diverted to an answerphone. The ring doesn't ring so late night calls are not an issue. The Fritz!Box also sends me an e-mail transcript of all answerphone messages for me to review as and when.
(committed) Tue 02-Sep-14 16:47:46
Print Post

Try a new faceplate. I agree with others that it is not a genuine phone call. (Do you have a Sky box connected in your house?)

Edited by Stevenage_Neil (Tue 02-Sep-14 16:50:26)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to