General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User oirecocobean
(newbie) Thu 18-Sep-14 19:43:27
Print Post

Talktalk connections cuts out

[link to this post]

Hello there. Just registered so hope this is the right board for my rant.

I've been having issues with my broadband connection for about 4-5 months now. I hope that someone on here can help or shed some light on the problem.

At the start of the summer it would cut out in the afternoon for 1-5 hours. It would also cut out when someone rang the landline or I rang out. I have been onto my ISP (Talktalk) several times and BT Openreach have been to my place twice. After trying many things (see below), all that's changed is that instead of going off for long periods in the afternoon, it cuts out randomly when someone is using the internet. It doesn't seem to go off when nobody is online.

I am getting decent download speeds (9-10 Mps) and am less than 1 mile in a straight line to the exchange. I have a D-Link 3680 router. We have quite a lot of noise on the landline when we call or somebody rings us. We use two separate cordless phones with one in the master socket and one in another one elsewhere in the house.

What's been tried so far (all to no avail!):

Using a corded phone instead of cordless
Changing filters
Re-booting router
Changing the router
Changing router frequency - Talktalk did this and it seemed to stop the long periods when it was off in the afternoon but as mentioned above it just cuts out randomly now
Changing the master phone socket - BT Openreach did this. The was a very old one in before. The new one has a master plug in. I've tried taking off the faceplate and plugging the phone and also just the router in it. Still cuts out
Talktalk have done their tests as well

I'm getting pretty frustrated now. I use the internet for work, tv. movies and gaming.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Sep-14 20:47:30
Print Post

Re: Talktalk connections cuts out

[re: oirecocobean] [link to this post]

if the noise is present when NO ADSL hardware is connected to the line, then report a plain old noisy telephone line.

Sounds most likely to be a High Resistance fault (poor joint) which can be difficult to diagnose as they are often intermittent.

Not sure what you meant by changing router frequency, sounds like a change to WiFi which is nothing to do with the ADSL line. So we need to check that you also get the same problems when connected using an Ethernet cable?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mrsbrinners
(newbie) Fri 19-Sep-14 09:38:44
Print Post

Ditto - joined last September and had had no problems with my broadband connection prior to my Talk Talk account. They did the same thing for me - switched stations?!! from 6 to 9, various other things. Resolved problem in the short term but now it just cuts out randomly. So I am here to find a new provider!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Sep-14 10:08:38
Print Post

[re: mrsbrinners] [link to this post]

Switching stations would fix a wireless issue, if the problem is just wireless then might be better to turn off the wireless on the TalkTalk router and add your own dedicated wireless access point.

Invariably the third party access points give better wireless service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User oirecocobean
(newbie) Fri 19-Sep-14 20:27:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
So we need to check that you also get the same problems when connected using an Ethernet cable?

This is tricky as the problem is intermittent and I can't think of a way of checking it where I don't have to sit there doing something internet based with an Ethernet cable plugged in, watching for something to happen.

On the router, the ASDL light and Wifi light both cut out when the connection drops so I assumed this was an ASDL issue, rather than a Wifi one.

Thanks for the helpful replies btw everyone.
Standard User dib
(newbie) Tue 30-Sep-14 03:26:02
Print Post

This is a High resistance fault, changing isp won't help. I have just had mine sorted by BT openreach. I have now got the best speeds I have ever had.

The adsl and phone line both dropped out intermittently, but together. It took some luck and a couple of visits from BT to fix. They changed the pairs of wires progressively all the way back to the cabinet.

Edited by dib (Tue 30-Sep-14 05:23:28)

Print Thread

Jump to