General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tattie
(newbie) Tue 28-Oct-14 08:27:48
Print Post

EE Accountability - anyone else re home broadband?

[link to this post]

I have completely lost my home broadband connection and face a reconnection fee due to the derisory and cheap way EE implemented a shift from Orange free broadband to a paid service earlier this year. I've got no problem with the change in business model but the way they did this was insulting and ultimately anti-competitive (e.g. Zen charge for re-connection - making this a tricky option as the costs really start going up. Zen have explained that other SPs can defray the cost they must pay BT Openreach across contracts but because Zen does not lock you in, they can't take the liability that people will just leave them after a month, unlikely as this may be).

EE simply cut off people's home broadband (which took three calls to work out that it wasnít a tech fault). They indicate (and have done so repeatedly) that they are not at fault - they sent a letter (headed EE, so if you donít have an account with them likely to get ignored as a marketing flier) and also sent two emails to my 'orange' email address - the one you get allocated if you have ever done anything with orange. They said that it was my fault for not updating my email address on their system. EE told me by phone they met with Ofcom, and checked they fulfilled [minimum] requirements to communicate with customers. In other words they did it the cheapest easiest way possible, for non-revenue generating customers, forgetting that we might do other business with them across their empire (though not for long).

The cost problem arose over information I was given over the phone linked to the MAC code. I was told (I'm not a technical person) that if the MAC code expired, which it would within a month, I could call back and get another one. A friend rigged up temporary broadband access, the MAC code expired and when I called for a new one I was read out one over the phone. In practice this was useless (when I rang Zen with it) as the whole system had been shut down and would have to be connected from scratch via BT OR.

At no point during several calls did EE inform me of any deadlines (or frankly what they were doing, what my options were other than staying with them). In a written reply from an unrepentant EE they said they posted information to my account (what account?) about the broadband expiring. So Q: is that correct that it is not their responsibility to provide accurate information to customers via their staff, but my responsibility to find an account via EE for broadband I signed up to 8 years ago with Orange?

A final point. When EE really wanted to communicate with customers - to do the hard sell for their landline business - I got 3 phone calls. I thought they were fraudulent calls - strangers ringing up from companies I had never heard of with my full account details. I have an Orange Business Mobile - I called them, they explained this was outsourced marketing. So one question is shouldn't communication on such an important matter (cutting off your home broadband) pass some kind of 'ordinary person' test - would an ordinary person open a letter from EE if they do not hold a direct account with EE; would an ordinary person update a website they do not visit just because a company gave them an email address they didn't ask for?

I've made two complaints to Ofcom. I will leave Orange Business Mobile (which has good customer service) on principle if I have to pay for broadband reconnection, but they would rather lose that more valuable, long-term business than re-connect me. I really hope the big telcos get hauled up by the CMA just as the major utilities are at the moment.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Oct-14 08:35:55
Print Post

Re: EE Accountability - anyone else re home broadband?

[re: Tattie] [link to this post]

The only thing I can think of is that if getting the MAC code was considered to be notification of termination. Different ISPs handle this in different ways but if getting the MAC effectively started a 30 day notification of leaving them then at the end of the 30 days they may have cancelled the line/account.

You would probably need to see if you can get a recording of the conversation(s) from them to show whether they had made this clear or not otherwise it could be your word against theirs (especially if they did send you a confirmation by post). It also sounds like you were aware you were talking to EE on the phone so saying you didn't read the letter as you didn't know it was someone you deal with seems odd - did you know you were talking to EE?

Whether this is OK or not you would probably need to take up with Trading Standards, Citizens Advice or a lawyer.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Oct-14 09:22:51
Print Post

In terms of making a small claim against EE they would most likely contend that you had a MAC that you allowed to expire and then probably cite some part of the T&C that lets them cease service 30 days after issuing the MAC

If you enjoy paperwork and a battle small claims, if not a life lesson and ensure you keep track of who you are paying money to every month and check the bills for change notification e.g. price rises.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Oct-14 12:41:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

IIRC one of the frequent complaints about Orange (pre-EE) was that they refused to accept notice until the migration (using a MAC) had completed!

It would be quite a change-round for the issue of a MAC to become an irrevocable notice, as that would against the regulations governing MACs. I doubt if T & Cs can over-ride that, though Newnet did have a system whereby you received a final invoice based on the MAC expiry date and needed to contact them if you changed your mind about leaving.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Oct-14 13:00:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It wasn't necessarily an irrevocable notice. It is possible that EE assume notice and in their letter/emails may state what to do if you decide not to use the MAC in the time period. However, this is all conjecture as we have nowhere near enough information to understand exactly what went wrong here.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Oct-14 20:15:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
then probably cite some part of the T&C that lets them cease service 30 days after issuing the MAC
They can't! Requesting and issuing a MAC from EE in itelf definitely does not cease the service. So that hypothesis is out the window!
3.12. If You want to transfer Your Broadband Service from Us to another provider, You may need to request a MAC Code from Us and give it to Your new broadband provider. You can request to receive the MAC Code by email, letter or calling Customer Support. We will provide the MAC Code to You within 5 working days of You contacting Us. A MAC Code expires after 30 days of issue. We can only provide a new MAC Code once the previous one has expired. This Agreement will be terminated 10 days after any MAC Code that We provide to You is Used by Your new provider, or at the expiration of the notice You gave under point 9.1, whichever date comes first in time.
It requires to MAC to actually be used by new ISP or the cust to have explicitly given notice. Perhaps the OP did give notice as well as asking for MAC. He is not exactly clear in OP of what exactly is happening.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 28-Oct-14 20:17:25)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Oct-14 20:26:24
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

frown yes, I agree. Possibly the old "I want to cancel my contract. Please can I have a MAC".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 28-Oct-14 20:27:55)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Oct-14 20:26:48
Print Post

In all these words it is unclear exactly what is taking place.

Are you migrating your BB from EE to Zen?

Did you request a MAC? Did you give it to Zen?

Has Zen used the MAC? If so, EE will terminate your contract 10 days later, but the BB will already be with Zen so EE can't cut that off.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Oct-14 20:28:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Or the dreaded "cease"!

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Oct-14 11:15:22
Print Post

There are three simple steps to success when changing broadband provider:

1. Contact your current provider and request a MAC code to transfer they may haggle with you to keep your business, be firm. The ISP must provide MAC code (Migration Authorization Code) within 5 working days and it is valid for for a period of 30 days.

2. Important remember, donít cancel the old service (If you cancel, your service will be immediately cut-off and the MAC Code will be invalid).

3. Sign up with a new provider and give them the MAC code during the sign up.

Thats it! Your service should be transferred smoothly in a about a week or so.

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/guides/switch/

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/internet/broadband-swi...

http://ee.co.uk/help/getting-started/joining-ee/join...

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Wed 29-Oct-14 11:51:42)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to