General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FibreSpud
(newbie) Mon 03-Nov-14 13:46:04
Print Post

PlusNet home move - 1 month and still waiting.

[link to this post]

First post - shame it has to be a rant.

House move for phone and broadband requested for the 08/10/2014 - up until now have been a happy Plusnet customer. 1 month after the move (nearly) and still waiting for provision of broadband with no end in site.

Moved from a fibre enabled area to a rural location, however the property I have moved into had a working phone on the day of the move (working as in live, not working as in able to make calls - that took antoher 6 days and a few calls to Plusnet!). There's a BT Openreach branded faceplate on the phone socket, so I assume it would have had a working broadband service at some point in the past?

My issue I have is that I'm constantly being fed excuses for non-provision of the broadband service. Started off as the vague 'We need to chase our suppliers' to 'work required at the line plant' to now 'pair divert and associated cabling'. Dates for each activity appear as nothing more than placeholders for Plusnet, and they appear to not care if they update you or indeed if any work was carried out at all.

At no point will Plusnet commit to a date for completion. At each 'update' date, there is just another date and another excuse given. At each update the inferrence is that the next set of work should result in me getting the service activated. So far these are all empty promises.

If this is just Openreach's issue, why do Plusnet accept this response from them? Why can they not get a commitment for a service date from them? Just as importantly, why do they think it's acceptable to feed the same to thier own customers? Or is this the way Plusnet treat all customers when they need their help?

Plusnet will probably lose a customer over this - I can't continue indefinately without any broadband, or a firm date for provision of such. I won't continue to pay to be treated in this manner.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Did you eventually get the service installed or did you get frustrated by and fed up with Plusnet's response?

Andy
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Nov-14 13:52:59
Print Post

Re: PlusNet home move - 1 month and still waiting.

[re: FibreSpud] [link to this post]

Sounds like fairly standard fair for most UK broadband where there are issues.

Because you are dealing with an intermediary (no matter which ISP you go with) you are always chasing someone that then has to chase someone else. And generally Openreach have set time limits for work and if the engineer runs out of time they have to then return the job for someone else.

Add that engineers have specific areas of expertise and you might need multiple engineers. And you are also assuming the right engineer gets sent - if it is misdiagnosed then you could get the wrong engineer and have to wait for another appointment for the right engineer.

None of this is ideal when there are issues. If it works fine then all is well. Get problems and it doesn't matter much which ISP you are with you are likely to get similar issues (barring possibly a small number of ISPs that have top notch service but also tend to have top notch prices).

Are PlusNet perfect? No.
Are they particularly worse than other ISPs? No.
Are there ISPs who are worse? Yes.
Are there ISPs who are better? Yes.

Likelihood is that the problem probably stems from whatever state the line was left in after the last tenants moved out. And it is likely that you would have had the same issue no matter who you signed up with.
Standard User FibreSpud
(newbie) Mon 03-Nov-14 14:19:42
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, I thought that was the case - just blowing off some steam as much as anything.

Any recommendations on a better ISP for when things like this need sorting?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Nov-14 14:37:31
Print Post

The one that normally is suggested is AAISP. Zen are also reputed to have good support (was with Zen years ago but they are a little more expensive than the average and I think I moved from them to PlusNet - but even that was a few ISPs back).
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Nov-14 17:32:09
Print Post

There's a BT Openreach branded faceplate on the phone socket, so I assume it would have had a working broadband service at some point in the past?

Possibly teaching you to suck eggs, but this faceplate you mention, as in a PSTN jack at the bottom and an RJ11 jack at the top ? You are connecting the router to RJ11 jack, as in connecting without a microfilter ?

Standard User FibreSpud
(newbie) Mon 03-Nov-14 19:02:11
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Possibly teaching you to suck eggs, but this faceplate you mention, as in a PSTN jack at the bottom and an RJ11 jack at the top ? You are connecting the router to RJ11 jack, as in connecting without a microfilter ?

Not at all, I like eggs smile It's only got the single PSTN phone jack at the bottom, but it has 'BT Openreach - a BT Group Business' printed in grey along the top. So I presummed from that, that the property may have had a broadband service in the past - could be wrong.

It's a moot point anyway, as Plusnet don't seem able to get a grip with their supplier (Openreach) and actually provide the service, or even a date for the service.

Edited by FibreSpud (Mon 03-Nov-14 19:03:27)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Nov-14 20:29:11
Print Post

No that sounds like a standard Openreach faceplate, so all that tells you is that Openreach has probably visited property since 2006 and done some telephone work. It carries no implication about broadband service.

Openreach can be hit or miss and varies wildly from area to area, only with a pro-active provider who spends more time on a customer than is sensible to do (e.g. AAISP) will you get sensible updates.

Of course if you stump up the price to expedite the install (an option Openreach offer - whether PlusNet do I don't know) they work faster, the old money talks scenario.

3 weeks is about normal for a phone line currently, and while 4 to 5 weeks is less common it is not unknown.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User FibreSpud
(newbie) Tue 04-Nov-14 10:17:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info Mr S.

If 3-4 weeks is the norm for phone lines, then Plusnet should be more than aware of that, and tell their customers upfront that this may be the case. Instead they have chosen to string me along week by week.

Knowing that info in advance would have probably avoided this becoming an issue for me.

'We'll do you proud' - I've seen no evidence of this so far.
Standard User Realalemadrid
(newbie) Tue 04-Nov-14 13:11:36
Print Post

The reason for the delay has now been identified ( in the thread on the PlusNet forum). There is a phone line but is has a DACS unit on it ( 2 users share 1 line) so no broadband possible until that is removed and a new line provided. This is why a pair divert and cabling work is required with a lengthy delay. This used to happen more often when ADSL was first introduced but is quite rare now, some DACS remain in rural areas. Unlucky for the OP to have one on his line.
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Tue 04-Nov-14 13:15:09
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Realalemadrid:
Unlucky for the OP to have one on his line.

Caveat emptor!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to