General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Dec-14 19:05:14
Print Post

Re: Plusnet, Beware poor support!!

[re: fourtytwo1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by fourtytwo1:
not sure why these posts dont appear in the correct place, confused newbie smile
The forums use "Threading", whereby sub-threads can occur within a thread and can be followed independently. If you see a staggered list of posts then you are in threaded mode and your reply to a person will follow their post.

You can click "Flat mode" at the top right to view the thread in the way you are probably used to, (note that the post headers then show who was replied to), or you can go to the "My Home" tab, and at the bottom you can alter many things, including setting to default Flat Mode if you prefer it.

Note that in Flat Mode it is important, (as many users use Threaded Mode, and there are email notification issues as well), that when posting you click the Reply button against the post you are replying to, which may not be the latest on the page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Dec-14 19:29:58
Print Post

Okay looks like classic PlusNet upload speed cap, not a technical issue, just needs PlusNet to uncap it. Find the right person and it can be done.

If you can get them to reset the target noise margin to 6dB (assuming it is 9 now) then you might sync at 4000 Kbps
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/index.php?param=RG...

The 52dB attenuation means your line length is more like 4.5km

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Dec-14 20:11:27
Print Post

Your best setting in the router is probably ADSL2 (G.992.3) at that attenuation. Not ADSL, and not ADSL2+.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Dec-14 20:13:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by fourtytwo1:
I myself switched off ADSL2+ in the router a while ago.
No you didn't tongue. Or at least, it's back. See also my post a few seconds ago.

Standard User moltensalt
(newbie) Wed 03-Dec-14 20:43:24
Print Post

RE: Your upload

From the sounds of it whoever you spoke with completed an SNR reset, and fat fingered the upload option (a common mistake as there's various settings from capped to uncapped and nothing to tell you what the circuit is currently on, unless you've checked elsewhere first and paid attention).

You will probably find if you contact again they'll check the asset with wholesale, which will show uncapped upload and you'll be bounced off again (which may be what the second half of your post is talking about?).

For your own sanity I'd suggest waiting for the 10 day training period to expire so another reset can be requested, and let the agent know someone fat fingered upload last time and it should be on an uncapped setting. You can also ask to go on 6dB downstream target as well.

Just be aware that if the connection becomes unstable at 6dB and a fault is logged, they will probably move it back to 9dB in the first instance.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Dec-14 22:29:09
Print Post

[re: moltensalt] [link to this post]

If the line is unstable the BT Wholesale DLM turns interleaving on, and raises the sync-time margin as high as 15dB in 3dB steps. Plusnet cannot directly set the SNRM.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Dec-14 23:28:10
Print Post

Re: Plusnet, Beware poor support!! *DELETED*

Post deleted by XRaySpeX
Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Thu 04-Dec-14 08:37:51
Print Post

[re: celad2001] [link to this post]

Ohh yes I realise who TT are now, I have always been scared off by there high pressure sales tactics and trying to move my line when I believed I had only made an enquiry, so I guess I have never had a dose of there support experience that I can only imagine is a near death experience lols
Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Thu 04-Dec-14 08:52:13
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

regarding the master socket! it had been moved, originally by the front door an old junction box connected directly to the CCS drop cable, I can see where it used to be on the skirting board and the last few feet of the CCS still has white paint on it, however this was pulled out and re-routed into the loft by a previous owner and lengthened by connecting CW1308 but with split pairs for an extra length of about 5 meters and terminated in an NTE5. From there there were 3 house extensions in star again using split pairs!! originally i had an ADSL filter on each of those extensions and the modem on one of them, thats when I used to get ~1600Kbps.
Since then I have fixed all the split pairs and I have contrived two of the filters in series at the master socket between the test port and all three of the extensions (difficult but not impossible) and the modem is connected directly to the first filter connected to the test outlet. That together with shortening the parallel running of the drop cable and house power cables from ~8 to ~3Meters has contributed to the performance improvement. I just wish they would replace my stinky old CCS drop cable with the new twisted pair stuff (CW1411 ?) FOC!!
Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Thu 04-Dec-14 08:54:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

ohh thank you smile i didnt mean in the wrong place, i apologise, it's me learning to use it, very good forum, thank you all smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to