General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Wed 03-Dec-14 15:04:44
Print Post

Plusnet, Beware poor support!!

[link to this post]

I have been struggling on an over 3kms line for many years, periodically I have tried to get some support from Plusnet usually without success, the answer I get is "what do you expect".
My downlink synchspeed has been below 1500kbps for a long time.
I decided to take matters into my own hands and invested in a new router (W8960) this at least stopped dropouts (I think the old router just got to hot) but still the speed was not great, moving to the master socket didnt do much good either but I realised some of the cabling had been installed by non-bt as there were split pairs in the master socket wiring!! fixing this and a long run of drop cable alongside the power feed to the house raised the synch speed to 2000kbps but it would not rise above this despite and snr of >10db.
I called Plusnet again and in deperation wrote to them but still the same bad attitude "what do you expect"!! one day i was on there user site and a box popped up offering chat, well I thought anything goes so explained all to the support person, hmmm mom while i look he said, well he came back with the astonishing news there was a 2mbps cap on my line, why is it there he asked!!
Needless to say cap removed and rate immediatly shot up to over 3500kbps!!
BUT today i noticed my uplink had dropped from 960 to 440kbps despite the snr being >19db
Ho I thought, i will try those nice people on the online chat again......... conversation
them, "what do you expect"
me, can you fix it ?
them, we can put back the cap or force your downlink target snr up to reduce its speed
me, if the cap goes back on i will leave plusnet
them, ok if you want to leave do so

hahaha so one day you get the one decent support guy, the next you are back with the usual absolute rubbish!! and this is a company that claims award winning support!!

so think twice about plusnet although they may not be the worst, god help us if they are supposed to be the best.............
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Dec-14 15:35:14
Print Post

Re: Plusnet, Beware poor support!!

[re: fourtytwo1] [link to this post]

Have you been switched to 21CN (ADSL2 or ADSL2+) from ADSL1?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer
Standard User celad2001
(learned) Wed 03-Dec-14 15:54:25
Print Post

pah..

"we used to live in a cardboard box in the road...."

you certainly will not want to move to TT then if you think that's bad service

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Dec-14 16:54:03
Print Post

What was the upload speed before the downstream speed increased.

A simple copy/paste of the router stats or a link to the results from http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc will help people to judge if you are getting every ounce of speed from the line.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Dec-14 17:01:22
Print Post

Post the router line stats they could shed some light regarding the connection:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

You say you used the master socket if it was the newer type (NTE5) did you try the TEST socket within it too?

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-...

plusnet user
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Dec-14 18:11:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by fourtytwo1:
despite and snr of >10db.
despite the snr being >19db
You are looking at it the wrong way. You don't want the SNRM higher than some figure; you want it lower, usually about 6dB both Down & Up.

The higher the SNRM the slower you go.

Full router stats at all times are the key to discussing your issues.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Wed 03-Dec-14 18:40:42
Print Post

Thank you for all your comments, first I apologise for no stats, here they are
Stats recorded 03 Dec 2014 18:36:57

DSLAM/MSAN type: IFTN:0x827a / v0x827a
Modem/router firmware: AnnexA version - A2pB025c1.d21j2
DSL mode: ADSL2+
Uptime: 22 hours 50 min 11 sec
Resyncs: 0 (since 03 Dec 2014 11:08:25)

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB): 52.5 30.4
Signal attenuation (dB): Not monitored
Connection speed (kbps): 3589 446
SNR margin (dB): 9.2 18.5
Power (dBm): 0.0 12.8
Interleave depth: 16 8
INP: 1.05 2.17

RSCorr/RS (%): 0.0051 0.0000
RSUnCorr/RS (%): 0.0001 0.0000
ES/hour: 0.75 0

Ohh dear I cannot see the other questions from here so will answer after I write them down smile
Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Wed 03-Dec-14 18:43:28
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

not that i am aware of although the exchange became fibre enabled a while ago but NOT YET for FTTC!!
I myself switched off ADSL2+ in the router a while ago.
Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Wed 03-Dec-14 18:44:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

960Kbps rock solid at ~6db snr
Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Wed 03-Dec-14 18:48:21
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

sorry those are the actual measured snr's not targets.
It appears since the reset the downlink tsnr has changed from 6 to 9db maybe as expected
i am aware that if the target snr is increased the line rate will reduce on a resynch
thats precicely why i refused plusnets offer to increase it further
sorry i think maybe snrm and target snr is the same thing ?
not sure why these posts dont appear in the correct place, confused newbie smile
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Dec-14 19:05:14
Print Post

not sure why these posts dont appear in the correct place, confused newbie smile
The forums use "Threading", whereby sub-threads can occur within a thread and can be followed independently. If you see a staggered list of posts then you are in threaded mode and your reply to a person will follow their post.

You can click "Flat mode" at the top right to view the thread in the way you are probably used to, (note that the post headers then show who was replied to), or you can go to the "My Home" tab, and at the bottom you can alter many things, including setting to default Flat Mode if you prefer it.

Note that in Flat Mode it is important, (as many users use Threaded Mode, and there are email notification issues as well), that when posting you click the Reply button against the post you are replying to, which may not be the latest on the page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Dec-14 19:29:58
Print Post

Okay looks like classic PlusNet upload speed cap, not a technical issue, just needs PlusNet to uncap it. Find the right person and it can be done.

If you can get them to reset the target noise margin to 6dB (assuming it is 9 now) then you might sync at 4000 Kbps
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/index.php?param=RG...

The 52dB attenuation means your line length is more like 4.5km

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Dec-14 20:11:27
Print Post

Your best setting in the router is probably ADSL2 (G.992.3) at that attenuation. Not ADSL, and not ADSL2+.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Dec-14 20:13:09
Print Post

I myself switched off ADSL2+ in the router a while ago.
No you didn't tongue. Or at least, it's back. See also my post a few seconds ago.

Standard User moltensalt
(newbie) Wed 03-Dec-14 20:43:24
Print Post

RE: Your upload

From the sounds of it whoever you spoke with completed an SNR reset, and fat fingered the upload option (a common mistake as there's various settings from capped to uncapped and nothing to tell you what the circuit is currently on, unless you've checked elsewhere first and paid attention).

You will probably find if you contact again they'll check the asset with wholesale, which will show uncapped upload and you'll be bounced off again (which may be what the second half of your post is talking about?).

For your own sanity I'd suggest waiting for the 10 day training period to expire so another reset can be requested, and let the agent know someone fat fingered upload last time and it should be on an uncapped setting. You can also ask to go on 6dB downstream target as well.

Just be aware that if the connection becomes unstable at 6dB and a fault is logged, they will probably move it back to 9dB in the first instance.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Dec-14 22:29:09
Print Post

[re: moltensalt] [link to this post]

If the line is unstable the BT Wholesale DLM turns interleaving on, and raises the sync-time margin as high as 15dB in 3dB steps. Plusnet cannot directly set the SNRM.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Dec-14 23:28:10
Print Post

Re: Plusnet, Beware poor support!! *DELETED*

Post deleted by XRaySpeX
Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Thu 04-Dec-14 08:37:51
Print Post

[re: celad2001] [link to this post]

Ohh yes I realise who TT are now, I have always been scared off by there high pressure sales tactics and trying to move my line when I believed I had only made an enquiry, so I guess I have never had a dose of there support experience that I can only imagine is a near death experience lols
Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Thu 04-Dec-14 08:52:13
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

regarding the master socket! it had been moved, originally by the front door an old junction box connected directly to the CCS drop cable, I can see where it used to be on the skirting board and the last few feet of the CCS still has white paint on it, however this was pulled out and re-routed into the loft by a previous owner and lengthened by connecting CW1308 but with split pairs for an extra length of about 5 meters and terminated in an NTE5. From there there were 3 house extensions in star again using split pairs!! originally i had an ADSL filter on each of those extensions and the modem on one of them, thats when I used to get ~1600Kbps.
Since then I have fixed all the split pairs and I have contrived two of the filters in series at the master socket between the test port and all three of the extensions (difficult but not impossible) and the modem is connected directly to the first filter connected to the test outlet. That together with shortening the parallel running of the drop cable and house power cables from ~8 to ~3Meters has contributed to the performance improvement. I just wish they would replace my stinky old CCS drop cable with the new twisted pair stuff (CW1411 ?) FOC!!
Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Thu 04-Dec-14 08:54:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

ohh thank you smile i didnt mean in the wrong place, i apologise, it's me learning to use it, very good forum, thank you all smile
Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Thu 04-Dec-14 09:00:59
Print Post

Thank you, it was my feeling the uplink had plenty of margin to go faster too smile
I just did not realise these caps existed!! it's so good to speak to someone who knows what levers the ISP can pull if they are so minded, I am wondering if the 2mbps cap was breach of contract given i was paying for up to 8mbps!! anyway i shall just keep trying to find that right person, i am sure they have one somewhere in there organisation smile

I am hoping the DLM will restore me to a downlink tsnr of 6db once it is happy, if it doesnt I may decide to tweek it's nose hahaha
Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Thu 04-Dec-14 09:13:24
Print Post

Yes in the stats it is, I wonder if it's reffering to the DSLAM coz I just took a photo of the router settings to send you that shows it switched off BUT idk how to post a pic here yet!!
Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Thu 04-Dec-14 09:19:56
Print Post

[re: moltensalt] [link to this post]

That is so helpfull, thank you very much smile
Although as an electronics engineer I know how adsl works i had no idea the ISP/BT had these capping controls, I have only recently gotten my head around the DLM's existance smile
I shall certainly leave the 10 day period to elapse, the line is happy right now so I hope for better things once the DLM is also convinced !!
Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Thu 04-Dec-14 09:23:35
Print Post

well by unstable i assume you mean disconnects/dropouts there have been none of those BUT
I used to turn the modem off every night, then on again in the morning because I didnt know any better frown
The house wiring was cr*p causing quite high errored seconds.
Presumably the DLM would have noticed both of these and reacted accordingly........

I no have almost no errors as a consiquence of fixing the house wiring and i dont turn the modem off anymore smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Dec-14 12:43:32
Print Post

You could try it as breach of contract, but since 2 Mbps is in the range of up to 8 Mbps then would need a good lawyer to fight it.

Generally threatening legal action is a quick way to shut off any co-operation from a firm, as all communication is then dealt with via the legal team, so really it is a last resort.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 04-Dec-14 13:16:47
Print Post

Off at night and on in the morning is not a problem. High error seconds would make the DLM intervene.

Have a browse around my website for base-level explanations of DLM etc. Kitz, Samknows, and coolwebhome give deeper stuff once you have the basics from mine.

Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Thu 04-Dec-14 13:23:32
Print Post

I hope I found a way to show you the router settings, please see pic at
http://ge.tt/6uCnPC62/v/0?c
Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Thu 04-Dec-14 13:29:08
Print Post

Whilst I agree with you I think that people understand the limitiations to be imposed by the physical quality of the connection NOT by a deliberate cap on the line rate by the ISP!!
Anyway I don't intend anything unless things get really bad, I am simply pointing out there attitude problem.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Dec-14 13:34:25
Print Post

And here is where the lawyers will earn their money

One said claiming the cap was needed to avoid a line flapping around and not being available for 25% of the time, and the other fighting that you've lost 1 Meg of speed due to the capping.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 04-Dec-14 13:42:08
Print Post

If those are the current settings then something is very odd.

You certainly don't want G.Lite; T.413; AnnexL enabled by the way.

Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Thu 04-Dec-14 14:07:47
Print Post

ok your right smile
Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Thu 04-Dec-14 14:12:31
Print Post

Well imop the G.Lite and T.413 are just there so if it meets a DSLAM offering those instead of ADSL2 it will use them, in this case the fact that the are enabled is immaterial.
As for Annex L it's actually there for longer lines BUT it seems to be being ignored anyway as the downlink is using tones beyond the supposed 560Khz cutoff anyway at the moment top tone is 725Khz so I think Annex L is being ignored.
Thanks for looking, I wont change anything for now anyway coz I am being watched by big brother (DLM) and most changes cause a router restart!!

After some further reading elsewhere it seems BT do not support annex L at this time due to worries about increased xtalk from increased lf power. Meanwhile I also suspect the DSLAM is also ignoring my request to operate at ADSL2 only, nothing says it has to obay router configuration requests that after all is all these configuration options are!!

Thank god it's not running Annex M, rumour has it this only happens if you are on a business line smile

Edited by fourtytwo1 (Thu 04-Dec-14 14:28:08)

Standard User fourtytwo1
(newbie) Thu 04-Dec-14 19:27:32
Print Post

THE GODS ARE SMILING ON ME TONIGHT!! THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP smile:)smile

Suddenly coming back from watching TV I find that 25 minutes ago my uplink has been restored to 923kbps and my downink boosted further to 3827kbps as a result of the target snr being reduced to 6dB, also the interleaving has completely dissapeared....hoooray!!
Thats 3 years of trying to be nice followed by a week of pestering and asking for my MAC code!!

Well done Plusnet!! if this continues for a week I will take up there offer and renew my contract smile
hopefully happy xmas all round!!

Thank you all again smile

P.S. my new stats are :
Stats recorded 04 Dec 2014 19:25:48

DSLAM/MSAN type: IFTN:0x827a / v0x827a
Modem/router firmware: AnnexA version - A2pB025c1.d21j2
DSL mode: ADSL2+
Uptime: 42 min 49 sec
Resyncs: 0 (since 04 Dec 2014 19:03:46)

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB): 52.5 30.4
Signal attenuation (dB): Not monitored
Connection speed (kbps): 3827 923
SNR margin (dB): 6.9 5.9
Power (dBm): 0.0 12.8
Interleave depth: 1 1
INP: 0 0

RSCorr/RS (%): N/A N/A
RSUnCorr/RS (%): N/A N/A
ES/hour: 13.9 0

Edited by fourtytwo1 (Thu 04-Dec-14 19:28:49)

Standard User fourtytwo1
(learned) Thu 11-Dec-14 16:08:36
Print Post

Yup still working beautifully at 3.8Mbps/780Kbps so as promised renewed with Plusnet for another 12 months on very good terms smile

Just have to get you guy's attention sometimes!! Thanks for the fix smile
Standard User NotSoNaff
(newbie) Sat 20-Dec-14 14:32:42
Print Post

Re: Plusnet, Beware VERY poor support!!

My Phone Line died on 16th December 2014 whilst the Internet Connection carried on regardless.
Reported the problem on 17th and a couple of days later learned 'Your "question" is on hold until the 22nd'!!! Worse still it is likely to be resolved on 24th!!!
Plusnet used to have a system of answering problems via their Forum, but this proved to be run by 'headless chicken' mimics who cherry picked problems that they could just about deal with. They certainly failed to resolve my problems and in the end my communications were totally ignored. I will not go back there and do not know if Forum resolutions still take place.
There are not many ISPs working with the local Exchange so seemingly not much choice. Thinks, devil or deep blue.......
My ADSL2 has gradually got slower and slower, oh for minus levels in the ThinkBroadband Rating Section. Conceivably this could be related to Plusnet's strong desire to flog FTTC?
I guess it is time to walk, not sure where at present, but it will be away from Plusnet.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 20-Dec-14 18:36:32
Print Post

[re: NotSoNaff] [link to this post]

When you say the phone line has died, do you mean completely? No dial tone, no incoming?

If so, has the broadband slowed dramatically, such as from 3Mbps to 300kbps?

That combination of events occurs when one wire of the pair has become disconnected somewhere between the master socket and the exchange. Or even at the exchange.

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 20-Dec-14 18:36:55)

Standard User NotSoNaff
(newbie) Sat 20-Dec-14 23:03:02
Print Post

Nil Dial Tone, using Corded Handset, within the Master Socket, or anywhere else.
Unable to make or receive calls.
Modem reports 'No Telephone Enabled' but even if there was a way to 'enable' it would not work without the dial tone.
All Handsets, after dialling or hitting a phone book number, report 'Resources Unavailable'.
Handsets and combo DECT Base Modem Router interact like there are nil other problems, they can be Registered-Deregistered, Communicate with each other, etc.

Broadband running at its usual speed and not throwing up any other problems.

Edited by NotSoNaff (Sat 20-Dec-14 23:07:52)

Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Dec-14 23:12:03
Print Post

Naked Broadband Lol - I would cancel line rental and stick to VOIP.

Pulse8 Home Line Rental - Pulse8 XL Plus broadband.
http://www.pulse8broadband.co.uk/

Edited by professor973 (Sat 20-Dec-14 23:13:22)

Standard User NotSoNaff
(newbie) Sat 20-Dec-14 23:16:06
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Just happy that it continues to work and hope it does not catch a cold or flu in that state of dress wink.

Please educate me on how to have Broadband without the Phone Line.

Edited by NotSoNaff (Sat 20-Dec-14 23:18:35)

Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Dec-14 23:21:21
Print Post

Naked Broadband without line rental, is something that can easily be supplied, but suppliers prefer to keep charging line rental, even for those that don't need it. It would seem that be some error or fault, that is what you have.

Pulse8 Home Line Rental - Pulse8 XL Plus broadband.
http://www.pulse8broadband.co.uk/
Standard User NotSoNaff
(newbie) Sat 20-Dec-14 23:27:16
Print Post

Already clicked the link given in your siggy.
Will look deeper into their offers as your package would probably be fine for me?
Thanks for your contribution.
Standard User zom22
(member) Sun 21-Dec-14 09:28:54
Print Post

There are two wires in a pair coming into your property.
If one of those become disconnected/breaks whatever it is called a single line dis fault.

In this event you will have no dial tone on your phone and cannot make or receive calls.
However your broadband will work to a certain degree.
For those of us on good ADSL2 lines the speed drops to a very low level.
For you already on a long line with low speeds then it sounds quite likely that you would notice much of a drop in your broadband speed under the fault conditions of a 'single line dis'.
Standard User NotSoNaff
(newbie) Sun 21-Dec-14 17:18:19
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

Thanks for your input.

I am recovering from Operations on my Legs otherwise I would have been up a ladder to check the first point of contact with my property.
Everything else checks OK.

On a few previous occasions similar faults have been sorted promptly at the Exchange.

I hope the 'action', promised by Plusnet, will actually take place tomorrow.
Standard User NotSoNaff
(newbie) Tue 23-Dec-14 09:05:48
Print Post

The 'action' did take place on 22nd December 2014 between approximately 16:00 to 17:30, judged by the Internet going offline.
There was no sign of a technician visiting the property or the local Pole, and it was very 'dark' at that time, so it is assumed that it was similar to a couple of previous 'switch/relay' incidents dealt with in the comfort of the Exchange?
Don't Fix It unless it is Broken is only valid if it can be fixed in a reasonable time, otherwise perhaps Maintenance is a good idea?
Of course the response and repair aspect is going to remain with those having responsibility for the provision and maintenance of the infrastructure. Only by getting a good kicking [fine(s)] from Ofcom [?] for poor performance is anything likely to change. Changing ISP is a lottery and so you just have to bite the bullet then suck it and see.
However I am up to the back teeth, still got a couple, so it WILL be bye bye Plusnet.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 27-Dec-14 02:06:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Your best setting in the router is probably ADSL2 (G.992.3) at that attenuation. Not ADSL, and not ADSL2+.

indeed do not use adsl2+ at that loop length, it will perform worse.

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 30-Mar-15 00:25:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by professor973:
Naked Broadband without line rental, is something that can easily be supplied, but suppliers prefer to keep charging line rental
I suspect the cost would be broadly similar.

The line rental (I pay Primus 5.99 a month) is intended to cover the link to the exchange plus the exchange to exchange network, standby generators (if available), the batteries (so your corded phone will still work during a power cut) at the exchange, and general maintenance of the cabling and buildings.

What you pay for broadband is for the network infrastructure, so if "Naked Broadband" would somehow have to add a fee to cover the standard phone cable and network infrastructure on top of the broadband network kit. I am pretty sure that if you can get it (eg overseas) many countries charge significantly more than the basic broadband for this.

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to