General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User edwinbradford
(learned) Sun 07-Dec-14 13:50:55
Print Post

Another Plusnet unhappiness thread

[link to this post]

I know Plusnet aren't the worst ISP out there by any means but their support leaves a lot to be desired.

When I joined them over a month ago there was already a phone line and when I tried to connect a week after the connection date deadline they sent me I got nothing. After an evening of trying I gave up and contacted them the next day using the internet at work. I got a reply very quickly, in all fairness, along the lines of "Sorry, something went wrong with our suppliers, it wasn't switched on".

Now, a month later, it went down last night for the whole evening. It was working this morning and I attempted to register a problem with their online broadband support tool. I filled in all the details and submitted them three times and every time the tool failed with a message "Something went wrong please try again later". I called them and got an automated reply "The average wait time is 30 mins". I just tried the tool a fourth time and the page says "Not working".

I sent off a complaint today via their pretty hard to find complaint form so lets see what happens.

I don't really understand line stats so can anyone check my logs for me?

Update Counter : 21166
Modulation : G.Dmt
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 515730
Lan Rx : 304109
ADSL Tx : 212061
ADSL Rx : 185207
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 0
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 0
HEC Down : 0
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 24.0
SNR Down : 20.0
Line Attenuation Up : 9.0
Line Attenuation Down : 11.5
Data Rate Up : 448
Data Rate Down : 7616

The distance to my local exchange is 350 feet, yes feet. I have standard ADSL with Plusnet and according to OOkla speed test the down speed is 6.36 Mbps and the up speed 0.38 Mbps.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 07-Dec-14 13:53:47
Print Post

Re: Another Plusnet unhappiness thread

[re: edwinbradford] [link to this post]

Could you tell us the exchange please smile? You are on ADSL "up to 8Mbps" and I just want to check that is correct for starters.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User edwinbradford
(learned) Sun 07-Dec-14 14:15:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry RoberoS, I should have been more specific. Great to see you're still a regular here. I couldn't see what package I was on so I didn't post it but I found it, I'm on the Unlimited package which is advertised as up to 17mb.

I received an email from Plusnet when I first joined saying the estimated download speed is 7mb. I'm a bit confused then why my speed is so low given my proximity to the exchange.

My exchange name is Science Park and the code is EASCI according to Sam Knows.

I found another great site you must know called http://usertools.plus.net/. It says there was an outage last night at my exchange but Plusnet have nothing on their own site saying there was any disruption from what I can see.

So at least that explains what the disruption to service was but I'd be grateful to you for looking at my logs.

Cheers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sun 07-Dec-14 14:28:15
Print Post

[re: edwinbradford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by edwinbradford:
I received an email from Plusnet when I first joined saying the estimated download speed is 7mb. I'm a bit confused then why my speed is so low given my proximity to the exchange.

That's cos BTW don't have ADSL2+ equipment at your exchange so you're limited to 8 meg, ie non 21CN exchange. You could always move to Tesco (gulp) or TalkTalk (double gulp) to get speeds >20meg as they have ADSL2+ gear. Or perhaps fibre if your cab has been upgraded?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps