General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User keymaster
(member) Thu 29-Jan-15 20:55:04
Print Post

BT fttc "super fast"

[link to this post]

Hi
Ok I was on BT adsl winding my contract down ready to look at options when Infinity was enabled on my exchange and on my cabinet
Cromer Exchange - Cabinet 5
I decided that as Infinty was available then I would consider staying with BT and went through the signing up process. BT website said Infinity not available for me as I am too far away from cabinet and best I would get was "superfast broadband" and speeds I should expect were from 13meg - 20meg, I decided this was enough and signed up, I had to sign new 12 month contract and price increase of £6 per month.
Now the bit thats grinding my gears, internet goes live at 9meg download (on ADSL i got up to 7 meg). I imediatly called the India line and advised them that what I signed up to was 13-20 meg, they told me that they would do their best to get it up to about 12 meg.
Downloads are now 11.5meg and router synching at 12.4 meg, wishing I had just stayed on ADSL and feel I had my pockets picked.
also it says
FTTC Range A (Clean)
FTTC Range B (Impacted)

Impacted??

when I go to this BT line checker thing it still says 13 -19.5 meg

any advice please.
Key

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Jan-15 21:38:00
Print Post

Re: BT fttc "super fast"

[re: keymaster] [link to this post]

Can you quote both ranges.

The checker is an estimate not a guarantee and on longer vdsl2 lines small changes can have an impact. Choice is stay and pay or downgrade citing speeds as issue

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Pedrostech
(newbie) Thu 29-Jan-15 22:23:40
Print Post

I was quoted 11.4-17.1mbps. The line with the HH5 synced at around 8mbps. Getting an openreach modem brought it up to 11mbps. This was from near 8mbps on ADSLmax...so the differences are not necessarily large.

Generally my advice when informing friends is to go for the lower of the clean estimates, such as in your case 13mbps.

The impacted results are for lines with wiring issues such as line taps.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User keymaster
(member) Fri 30-Jan-15 01:51:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Can you quote both ranges.

The checker is an estimate not a guarantee and on longer vdsl2 lines small changes can have an impact. Choice is stay and pay or downgrade citing speeds as issue

Hi
Thank you for response, I would choose to downgrade if it means I go back to being near the end of my contract and also my bill returning to lower figure.

TTC Range A (Clean) 19.7 13.1 1.3 0.8 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 16.5 6.4 1.3 0.6 -- Available

thanks
Key

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Jan-15 08:26:11
Print Post

Do you have any extensions in the house? Have you tried the router in the test socket? It's possible your own internal cabling is causing the lower syncs.

Given the figures they could be providing anything from 6.4 - 19.7 and still be within the estimate.
Standard User keymaster
(member) Fri 30-Jan-15 08:54:40
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hi
Router (HH5) is plugged into master socket, which has ADSLnation master socket on it (worked well previously).
Many thanks
Key

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Jan-15 09:05:04
Print Post

VDSL will put more stress on than ADSL. It is possible that the ADSLNation filter isn't working well with VDSL especially if it is getting older. Do you have the filters that came with the HH5 - if so then using one of these in the test socket behind the ADSLNation faceplate and checking the full stats would give a comparison to rule out anything internal.
Standard User keymaster
(member) Fri 30-Jan-15 10:13:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
VDSL will put more stress on than ADSL. It is possible that the ADSLNation filter isn't working well with VDSL especially if it is getting older. Do you have the filters that came with the HH5 - if so then using one of these in the test socket behind the ADSLNation faceplate and checking the full stats would give a comparison to rule out anything internal.

Hi Ian
Thank you so much, tried this and got a half meg increase in download speed (just over 12 meg now) by removing adslnation plate as you suggested.
But this is still the same:
FTTC Range A (Clean) 19.7 13.1 1.3 0.8 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 16.5 6.4 1.3 0.6 -- Available
thanks

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Jan-15 10:27:59
Print Post

The estimates won't change - they do but only very occasionally.

What we really need is the stats from the HH5 - I believe it can tell you attenuation, SNR and sync speed. That would tell us if there is any margin being freed up that might be able to give higher speeds.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(member) Fri 30-Jan-15 10:31:38
Print Post

The estimates are based on the dB loss at 300kHz - so there may be small changes in the ranges now and then.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to