General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Jun-15 21:57:43
Print Post

Plusnet FTTC - dire speeds in the evening

[link to this post]

In spite of it going on for months, speeds in the evenings on Plusnet can be absolutely dire.

I'm on their 40/20 package with a sync speed of 80 and in the daytime consistently get speed test results of around 37mbps.

Tonight I'm getting as low as 5mbps: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 16-Jun-15 23:02:25
Print Post

Re: Plusnet FTTC - dire speeds in the evening

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User Tazz_uk
(experienced) Tue 16-Jun-15 23:12:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Same over at BT I am thinking some major core congestion

BT Infinity 2 Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Tue 16-Jun-15 23:16:32
Print Post

I managed to avoid it by getting onto a rare Telehouse North gateway but before that it was around 300% worse than usual speed drops...

Normally 60 goes to 25-35 but tonight was 6-9...

I'm not quite sure what to say, I on't think Plusnet are alone in these issues but I can see a way out of it and think the time to take that way out.

Plusnet 21CN 3500/800 @ 4.2Km > TP-Link TD-W8968v3
Plusnet Fibre 67000/19999 @ 450m > HG612 > Asus RT-AC87U BQM
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Jun-15 23:39:07
Print Post

Did you do a tap3 test on the BT PT? as it sounds like more BT network congestion or the VP's or Svlan's
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Jun-15 23:44:19
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
I managed to avoid it by getting onto a rare Telehouse North gateway but before that it was around 300% worse than usual speed drops...

Normally 60 goes to 25-35 but tonight was 6-9...

I'm not quite sure what to say, I on't think Plusnet are alone in these issues but I can see a way out of it and think the time to take that way out.
The gateways aren't the problem, it's down to the endpoints that are connected to those gateways and how close they are to saturation, but there can also be congestion within the BT wholesale network be that on the exchange vp's or other parts of the network before it reaches plusnets network, in which case no amount of gateway hopping will improve throughput, the network congestion is likely to be regional,

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 16-Jun-15 23:48:41)

Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Wed 17-Jun-15 00:04:20
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I agree, the gateways are not the issue hence my comment about Plusnrt not being the only service provider having the issues,

however Plusnet are my service provider and are responsible for the performance of my service, so all issues with my service wether they are caused by BTw, BTor or even a drunk man crashing into street cabinet have to be fixed/supervised by Plusnet... And done so in a reasonable time..

3 months has passed, still at square one, only difference is now that people have either given up and or have worked out ways to avoid issues, but tonight has been a night where most these work arounds haven't worked successfully or have not been possible for many people...

And with little to no information from my ISP or even any intention of taking any responsibilty for any issues customers are now left with no options.

Ive also learnt in the last hour that Plusnet have made changes to early termination charges which have seen them increase by nearly 50%.... I'm not sure of the legal info in this yet but pretty sure its not acceptable without suitable notification. But i will look into that further tomorrow.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Jun-15 00:13:16
Print Post

Termination charges for each product are always specified in relation to the date the customer signed up to the specific product. So your contract isn't affected and they don't need to notify you, as nothing has changed that affects you.

I've just checked this is still the case with the latest changes.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Wed 17-Jun-15 00:14:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I thought this would be the case But I cant find the old termination charges!

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Jun-15 00:21:07
Print Post

Tables 1.10, 1.11, 1.12. Just below 1.12, before Section 2, is a link for older (archived) products. Which is where I live tongue.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to