General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sg07
(newbie) Tue 07-Jul-15 14:54:25
Print Post

Moving to PN but have a BT fault

[link to this post]

Last week, I ordered a move from BT Infinity to Plusnet Fibre. We live in a village where telephone is delivered over telegraph poles and noisy lines are a norm. However, since arrival of FTTC, at least the internet service is good - giving 33 - 38 mbps in Thinkbroadband and BT tests.
Soon after placing my order, the noise level went up so that by this weekend, it sounded like a fireworks display being recorded down the line. I tested with three handsets in the back test socket of the master - therefore no internal wiring - still bad.
So even though we are leaving BT and I had no conversion date from PN, I placed a fault call - the operator claimed no fault but placed a fault call when I told her I could hardly hear her.
This morning, no internet for about an hour. Then it came back but at 16mbps and has remained there all day. Also, the line noise has gone back to normal (just noisy). I have tried to cancel the fault call but change it so internet fault (probably IP which is set to 16.43) the operator refuses to cancel the call and he let me know that the engineer will be sent out with a note to say that the fault is probably within the premises (and that I should therefore be charged). He also implied that the test socket is no longer considered to be the boundary.
As a check, I have been to neighbours who share the route from the cabinet - noisy lines.
Questions
Any one else had problems starting just after placing an order with another ISP?
Is the back plate of the main socket the boundary, or is it where the cable loops 5 or 6 metres over my garden wall?
Should I be able to cancel a call?

I am going to make another attempt to cancel the engineer visit tomorrow but I would appreciate any guidance on the above
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Jul-15 15:08:53
Print Post

Re: Moving to PN but have a BT fault

[re: sg07] [link to this post]

Test test socket is still the boundary.

If you cancel you will be left with FTTC at 16 Mbps, now it may be the line is back to its proper state but the DLM has reacted to the noise and errors during the fault and when the rewiring took place and has slowed you down.

In theory if an Openreach broadband engineer looks at it and decides a reset of DLM is best as a fault has been cleared then one can take place. NOTE: The IP Profile is just the visible effect of the DLM and sync speed that modem ends up negotiating so resetting IP profile will not help, unless the DLM is reset too.

Really unsure why the BT operator is almost threatening with the bill, test socket tests usually mean you are fine, unless it turns out the fault was a strimmer having a go at the line and someone has quietly fixed it or similar.

A migration on the way should not change anything at all in terms of line performance.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sg07
(newbie) Tue 07-Jul-15 15:16:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. No strimmer, I promise - the main socket is on an external wall, cable straight through the bricks and then up to a bracket on the roof before crossing the street to the pole. So unless the local birds have suddenly taken a liking to 30 year old cable there should be no damage.
Just to add to my problems, while trying to cancel, the noise level went up again and I could not hear the voice recognition menu and it could not understand me. I looks like the engineer will have to visit.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sg07
(newbie) Wed 08-Jul-15 17:20:45
Print Post

Update and closure
Openreach engineer arrived on time, Took just a couple of minutes to agree that the problem was outside and then spent about 3 hours tracing back to exchange. Eventually allocated a new line from the exchange to the cab.
Lovely clear sound now and internet back up to 37.66.
One point I think I have learned - the voice is still on copper to the cab, internet on fibre - so presumable they need to be recombined at the cab so that they are delivered over the old overhead copper to the house.
Three points come out the experience
1 - BT's call centre tried very hard to frighten me away from a call out and at least one other person near here has not called upon them to try to fix poor reception.
2 - if I had not been downloading large Linux iso files, I would not have noticed the degradation to 16mbps so quickly. Again would others have done so at all as they suffered poor reception.
3 - BT engineering use No Number phone calls to keep you up to date. This is not much use if your home is fitted with a BT phone system which rejects international, number withheld and other possible nuisance call sources.

It was a shame that I could not get to speak to the engineer ( he called in but the Nuisance Call system only gave access him the voice recorder). But thanks to him for the effort and thanks Mr S for the help.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 08-Jul-15 19:43:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by sg07:
One point I think I have learned - the voice is still on copper to the cab, internet on fibre - so presumable they need to be recombined at the cab so that they are delivered over the old overhead copper to the house.
FTTC explanation.

It's very odd that he needed to swap the exchange-cabinet line, as noise problems there should have been filtered out at the FTTC cab. Mine certainly was - I was getting several disconnections a day on ADSLx and moving to FTTC fixed it.

Not that it matters smile. He fixed your fault!

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 58162/14182kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jul-15 11:20:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by sg07:
Last week, I ordered a move from BT Infinity to Plusnet Fibre.
With all that's changing at Plusnet at the moment you must be mad!

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User sg07
(newbie) Thu 09-Jul-15 12:33:46
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

The move was occasioned by changes in the terms of the BT contracts, changes which I do not need. Either I allowed the contract to drift one way which would cost me more and a new contract, or I asked them not to make the changes in which case they would downgrade the terms but still grab me with a new contract.
My requirements are simple - A phone line and good broadband download at about 38mbps. The fact that Plus net is unlimited is a potential bonus.
When I called BT to try to get them to recognise my concern - the script reader effectively said take or leave it.
I am concerned about some of the comments but similar ones are targeted at most of the ISPs.
I am looking at Plusnet's approach as being a menu - I can pay to have the other things if I want them - but I don't.
  Print Thread

Jump to