General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User abellboy
(newbie) Thu 23-Jul-15 23:36:27
Print Post

Broadband speed lower than impacted FTTC?

[link to this post]

So my Impacted FTTC min range is 35 download but I get about 29. Of course that speed isn't awful so BT fail to do anything. How do I go about getting that clean range of up to 65 download? Can I get an engineer out to check my wire for bridge taps etc..?

Thanks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-Jul-15 23:44:08
Print Post

Re: Broadband speed lower than impacted FTTC?

[re: abellboy] [link to this post]

Bridge taps means you have extension wiring

The estimate is to the DP so if your line is a long way from there it can have an impact.

How far are you from the cabinet?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User abellboy
(newbie) Thu 23-Jul-15 23:53:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm about 0.3 miles around from the cab just down the road. Isn't the BT wholesale checker meant to factor this distance in to its speed estimate though? Which is why I'm confused I get a lower speed than the impacted FTTC range.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User abellboy
(newbie) Thu 23-Jul-15 23:59:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

What's the difference between a distribution point and the cab itself?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Jul-15 00:15:04
Print Post

Could you copy and paste the estimates please.

As you are with BT, I assume you have a Home Hub 5. Somewhere in the Troubleshooting menus you will find the stats, connection speed, attenuation and so on. Could you copy those to here as well please?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User abellboy
(newbie) Fri 24-Jul-15 00:34:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

(Download and upload)
FTTC Range A (Clean) 69.7 50.9 / 20 13.9
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 59.5 35 / 19.9. 9.6

Yes I do have a hub 5 but I'm away from home at the moment but have the stats from a test I ran recently if it helps!

Download: 28.07
Upload 9.11
Ping: 30ms
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Jul-15 00:44:52
Print Post

Well you're certainly getting the speed test well below the estimates, as you said. (I didn't doubt that).

But the stats are something different from speed test results. As I said, they will have the connection speed (sync/line rate), attenuation , noise margin or SNR/SNRM. Those tell us about the technical aspects of your line.

Another useful test, which is a speed test, is the BT Wholesale Performance Test, (ignore all the red instructions, just click that you've done them), but don't stop at the initial results page. On that, click the Further Diagnostics button near the bottom. Then copy and paste the full contents of the two text boxes of results from the page that gives you smile.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User abellboy
(newbie) Fri 24-Jul-15 11:00:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok great, so I'll do a proper diagnotics test when home and then reply here with my findings?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Jul-15 11:16:50
Print Post

If factors in the distance from cabinet to the DP (which is distribution pole) which is usually the last pole or pavement chamber before your property, so if you have a long 100m long drive this is not taken into account.

Have seen some rural properties (and even the odd urban one) suffer because of this.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 24-Jul-15 12:56:34
Print Post

Great smile.

Are we talking a week, a month or ...?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to