General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woodmass14
(regular) Wed 29-Jul-15 15:33:49
Print Post

Bt raising prices Can i cancel in a contract?

[link to this post]

Hi there just noticed that bt were raising their prices once again, i'm currently in a contract that runs out on March 2016, they seem to be raising there prices on a yearly bases now and honestly don't want to give them any more of my money as its becoming a joke, is there a loophole in the contract that allows me to cancel as there raising there prices, i did just contact them and they said i'd have to pay 150 quid to get it cancelled. currently paying £25 with an offer on or i can go with sse and pay 12 quid for line rental and free broadband for 2 years and i always love saving a bit of cash smile

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-Jul-15 15:39:23
Print Post

Re: Bt raising prices Can i cancel in a contract?

[re: woodmass14] [link to this post]

Is that a contract for both line and broadband, or have you also got a Line Rental saver on the line. What about call plans?

Have you had the price rise email yet? Mine came yesterday and a friend had hers a week ago. That's the one that should trigger an early exit if appropriate. If you haven't had it yet they may have treating you as a normal leaver, even though you know about the rise.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User woodmass14
(regular) Wed 29-Jul-15 16:01:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply roberto, yes its for both line and broadband, i assumed i had line rental saver but the mrs just told me she didn't go for it this year. and phone plan is weekend only with caller display (cheapest as i don't use it)

Just checked emails also, i do have an email about the price rise and also it explains i can leave, Oops should check my email more often

"We want to make sure you get the best deal for you. So, if you want to change something, or even leave because of these price changes, and you're within your minimum contract period, you'll need to call us within 30 days of receiving this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days if you're switching provider), starting from the date you ask us. We won't charge you the increased price during that time. "

But i contacted bt before posting asking to cancel, they came back and told me i could not unless i paid a fee. Then asked if there was a loophole in the contract that allowed me to leave, put me on hold and told me no.... Little [censored] about that!

Back on the phone i go

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Jul-15 16:10:27
Print Post

If you just said you want to cancel then yes fees will apply.

If you said 'I wish to migrate away from BT over the recently notified price rises' then that should kick in with the Ofcom mandated get out of jail free.

Devices like YouView boxes might have to be returned to avoid early exit fees still.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woodmass14
(regular) Wed 29-Jul-15 16:22:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes have just gotten of the phone with bt, told them what the email said and that was that.

All i got to do now is sign up with sse using my current bt phone number, Hope its as simple as that and should then be in the process of switching. Sorry for the pointless post, in my defense the email was in Spam smile

I am surprised there raising there prices so high, i'm able to get 2 broadband and phone lines with sse at the same price as one of Bts, it truly is astonishing

Also thanks for letting me know about the email roberto, somethings telling me bt wouldn't have mentioned it willingly on the phone and i would have been in the dark regarding the 30 day period
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-Jul-15 16:32:03
Print Post

In fact according to the Ofcom guidance about GC9.6 they say you shouldn't need to notify the losing ISP. Unless that's been changed since this 24 Jan 2014 version.
A1.25 CPs should also keep in mind the need to comply with all their obligations under the General Conditions, including as to switching processes. This is particularly relevant where the rules provide for a gaining provider-led process under which a subscriber is able to switch providers by contacting a new provider and without needing to contact their existing one.

A1.26 Neither GC9.6 itself nor this guidance requires that a subscriber must exercise their rights under that condition by contacting their existing provider. One way the CP making contract modifications could meet its obligations in a relevant case is by telling the subscriber that the GC9.6 termination rights may be exercised by contacting a new provider.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-Jul-15 16:33:45
Print Post

See my reply just now to MrSaffron smile. Though you may have ended up with a big argument with BT smile.

Standard User woodmass14
(regular) Wed 29-Jul-15 16:39:50
Print Post

I should probably keep myself updated on these new ofcom rules as they'll most likely effect me. i just assumed a contract is a contract at the end of the day and that i need to go through bt as i'm in contract with them, that is good to know for future reference though thanks!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Jul-15 17:19:52
Print Post

While Ofcom says you don't need to contact them, a pre-cautionary can I walk from contract call to verify everything will avoid getting a whopping, sorry you are leaving you owe us £x00 from leaving contract early.

A provider has no way of knowing if you are migrating because of the price changes, or should every migration that is done within 30 days of a price rise letter be presumed to be because of the price changes and just roll-over automatically?

As some price rises are flagged ahead of the 30 day notice period required, there is a sticky situation when someone thinks they can exit contract but in reality as the price rise did not apply to them this was not the case.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 29-Jul-15 19:29:23
Print Post

I agree in principle, and did say so to the OP just after my reply to you. I've also said to a few people, including the OP, it only applies if you have had personal notification.

That should be noted on the user's account and from thereon the losing ISP should not charge. But that gets messy. At what point can they clear the "no ETF" flag. There's nothing to say the migration has to be within 30 days of any date.

Just knowing there is a price rise coming doesn't count - as you say.

"A 1.26" is quite specific though.

What you and I are doing is talking about the side-step they take in it with "One way the CP making contract modifications could meet its obligations in a relevant case is by telling the subscriber that the GC9.6 termination rights may be exercised by contacting a new provider". Paraphrasing that - "We haven't a clue how this could be done, but here's an unworkable idea". LOL

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to