General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sg07
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-15 10:38:31
Print Post

Plusnet Failure to Supply Broadband

[link to this post]

24th June I ordered a Plusnet Broadband & Telephone connection to replace BT Infinity.

On 21st July, BT discontinued my service and Plusnet 'confirmed' that they had connected me. Since that time (as of 10:00, today 30th July) I have not had any internet connection.

Plusnet have raised at least 2 tickets (1078141182, 107811670 - for the benefit of anyone in Plusnet who may read this and wonder what is going on???) run several tests and last Friday 24th July they decided that (and this is a quote from one of their SMS messages)

'the problem resides in the provision of the order, rather that a fault itself. I will be sending your order to our dedicated team who will seek an update and look to get back to you within the next 24-48 hours.' 24/07/15 13:45.

I have had no further contact from Plusnet. So it is now 10 days in to the contract and I still do not have Broadband.

In my view this is not a fault, it is a failure to supply a broadband connection as per the contract/sale. If at any time I did have a connection and it then failed, then I would consider it a fault.

I have called their help line, waiting in the queues listening to the music etc. I have attached messages to the list associated with the ticket including asking them to forward the message list to their CEO.

My internet access is now via borrowed connections (including submitting this message) so I cannot spend time looking for other ways to contact them.

What else can I do get this company to deliver?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 30-Jul-15 11:13:58
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Failure to Supply Broadband

[re: sg07] [link to this post]

Was this PlusNet fibre that should have been connected? Should have been fairly seamless if it was. If back to ADSL2+ then more scope for actual physical problems

If its FTTC, does the VDSL2 modem show any indication of a sync? Internet access can only come after you have sync.

The wording 'BT discontinued' makes me wonder, if somehow BT performed a cease rather than just leaving service up and running until you actually migrated.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sg07
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-15 11:28:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Order was for Fibre, the new router connects through to the existing Openreach modem. I have run (at their request) a PPPoE test which failed.
The BT email received on the 21st talks about stopping the service.
All lights on modem and router are OK. I discussed this with their support staff. The router is also supporting my internal wired and wireless network (media server etc).
However, I have just been going through some of the notes attached to the tickets and ADSL+ does get a mention - perhaps this is the reason the SMS talks about 'provision of the order'. But that was last Friday and surely someone could have sorted it out by now.

By the way, the support asked me to do the PPPoE in Windows - I have only Linux based kit. I borrowed a Windows laptop top to do the test. I have since tried it out in Linux using a command pppoeconf, it also failed to connect. If and when I get a link, I will retry this and post a message to help other linux users to do this test.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jul-15 13:30:52
Print Post

Assuming that this was a managed install (BT engineer visited your home)Which brand of BT Openreach modem do you have is it an ECI or Huawei , you will find the manufacturers label on the modems underside, can you please let us know which it is?

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 30-Jul-15 13:32:59)

Standard User sg07
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-15 15:22:25
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I have had an Openreach modem since BT Infinity arrived in the village about 3 years ago.
The Modem is a Huawei EchoLife HG 612 (Large 3B stamped along side this).
One of the early messages talked about an engineer. However, from what I remember of the conversation during the order process, I simply confirmed that I had an existing modem and no mention was made of a visit. No engineer turned up during the 21st or 22nd July. I simply removed the BT Router and installed the Plusnet router.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jul-15 16:09:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by sg07:
I have had an Openreach modem since BT Infinity arrived in the village about 3 years ago.
The Modem is a Huawei EchoLife HG 612 (Large 3B stamped along side this).
One of the early messages talked about an engineer. However, from what I remember of the conversation during the order process, I simply confirmed that I had an existing modem and no mention was made of a visit. No engineer turned up during the 21st or 22nd July. I simply removed the BT Router and installed the Plusnet router.
So you have still a 2 box solution BT modem connected to a Router) ? And the modem is in sync ? if it is then it sounds like a problem with the PN account or log in credentials on the PPPOE side of things if so then it's a issue with plusnet , and if they are so clueless they can't sort it out, i would cancel as they have broken their T &S's

BTW their CEO's email is andy.baker@plus.net maybe be more of a chance of a resolution if you e-mail him direct rather than relying on and trusting plusnet staff to forward your e-mails

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 30-Jul-15 16:14:14)

Standard User sg07
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-15 16:17:16
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Thanks,
I've taken advantage of a friends offer of squatting on his wifi, to send these messages and also find Andy Baker. An email was sent about 15 minutes ago. I won't hold my breath.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Jul-15 18:07:29
Print Post

I had similar. HG612 sync'ed to exchange. Me able to connect to the HG612 through my router both GUI and telnet.

No internet showing on the router.

Engineer couldn't find anything wrong anywhere. Brought a new HG612 from his van, plugged it in, an all was well. The HG612 had gone phut!

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 30-Jul-15 18:08:27
Print Post

Have you done a factory reset on both the HG612 and your router?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync 57676/14040kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User sg07
(newbie) Fri 31-Jul-15 11:13:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for that tip.
I have done several resets on the router but not on the modem. I found and pressed (several seconds) the reset button and it did go through some sort of reset process - but I do not know if it was to a factory setting. However, after a few minutes of waiting, no change in the symptoms. Still cannot get through to servers.

In the mean time, I have had two emails this morning from PN - they acknowledge the problems and are expediting a solution. Still not holding my breath.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to