General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Wed 02-Sep-15 12:49:50
Print Post

Tesco Broadband & Homephone moving to TalkTalk

[link to this post]

I have just received a letter from Tesco to tell me that my Broadband and Homephone service is being moved to TalkTalk - in a week! I didn't ask for and to be honest, don't want this change.

When I phoned Tesco to ask about the migration, amongst other things they said that they couldn't guarantee that I would be able to retain a home 'phone number that I have had for about 25 years! They suggested that I talk to TalkTalk but couldn't suggest to whom I should talk.

Does anyone else know about this change?
Is it true that I might lose my long-standing home 'phone number?
Is there anything I can do about this?

PLEASE HELP - FOR GOD'S SAKE!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Sep-15 13:05:46
Print Post

Re: Tesco Broadband & Homephone moving to TalkTalk

[re: bbvictim] [link to this post]

The new migration process is lead by the gaining provider and allows for a letter to be sent and 10 days to cancel it.

It may be that TalkTalk have raised an order in error and triggered the process. But, as you have the letter from Tesco they (Tesco) should now be able to stop the order so that it doesn't go through. And when Tesco stop the order everything should halt and there should be no change to your service.

I think your issue at present is with Tesco as it appears they don't understand the new migration process.
Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Wed 02-Sep-15 13:25:17
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying (so fast).

However, I think that you may not see the full picture. Tesco sold their Broadband and Homephone service (and my contract) to TalkTalk earlier in the year. The letter I have had is from Tesco, more or less saying "Goodbye and Good Luck!" I have not had any contact from TalkTalk.

My two real problems are that I have no particular desire to be stuck with TalkTalk and I definitely do not want to lose my landline 'phone number.

Thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Sep-15 13:38:53
Print Post

To be honest I can't see your number being lost by this migration to the TalkTalk network, have Tesco given a firm date as to when your service will be migrated to TalkTalk... or have they just said that TalkTalk will begin moving people across in a weeks time..

The reason is that you should have the option to migrate away from Tesco to another provider of choosing before this change... TalkTalks network has been known to be tricky when migrating OUT and numbers have been lost in this case, but if you opt to move to another provider such as BT they should be able to take your number from Tesco and bring it to their network without an issue.

7 days notice for a switch isn't very good and as pointed out the new migration system for customer switching provider has a 10 day waiting period before nay process is even started.

Standard User Adrianuk
(newbie) Wed 02-Sep-15 13:44:39
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Surely until TalkTalk change the contract then any minimum term remains? TTs network should provide the same performance (or even better, as sans traffic management) so can't be classed as material detriment.

If a migration date has been set then I would probably recommend the OP just rides it out for now. Number is unlikely to go missing and I imagine TT will want to move them on to a new package triggering a penalty-free get out soon. Trying to migrate from Tesco whilst TT are trying to do their thing can only cause issues.

If no date has been set then it's probably safe to migrate out of Tesco directly but obviously will be subject to early termination fees if still in minimum commitment.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Sep-15 13:49:34
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

The lost number issue generally only arises for numbers that were from the original TalkTalk pool.

Numbers ported in (even if to full LLU) should port back out sensibly.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Sep-15 13:53:52
Print Post

Is this the very first official contact you've had about the move?

So long as TalkTalk continue to provide the same service there is no get out of contract for free situation, only if they change the contract, i.e. we as consumers can be traded around as blocks like this so long as service delivered/price does not change.

The bit about the phone number, the guarantee is more because a very very small number get messed up in internal migrations like this, so unlikely to lose it.

If the orders have actually been placed to institute a migration then probably too late to do a lot about it, unless Tesco will cancel it and you can start your own migration elsewhere.

Any provider change, like when you joined Tesco originally cannot guarantee you will retain your telephone number.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Sep-15 14:07:17
Print Post

[re: Adrianuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adrianuk:
Trying to migrate from Tesco whilst TT are trying to do their thing can only cause issues.

If no date has been set then it's probably safe to migrate out of Tesco directly but obviously will be subject to early termination fees if still in minimum commitment.

Agreed, this was the reason I asked if it was a week from notice the service would move or a week from notice that the migrations process started.

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The lost number issue generally only arises for numbers that were from the original TalkTalk pool.

Numbers ported in (even if to full LLU) should port back out sensibly.

Oh OK, Thanks for clearing that up! smile

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Sep-15 14:52:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by bbvictim:
However, I think that you may not see the full picture.

That is true as you didn't give out the pertinent information. You may not want to move from Tesco but Tesco appear to be no longer running a service - so you either move to TalkTalk or you migrate to someone else. Others have already given info around this so no point in me repeating. The key question for me that has been asked is if this was the first time you had any info saying you would be moved? If it is then that is definitely poor service for Tesco as they could have let you know earlier then you could have chosen to move somewhere else.
Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Wed 02-Sep-15 15:04:25
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I had an unhelpful letter from Tesco a few days ago saying that they had some important news about "Important changes to your Tesco Broadband and Homephone service" and a follow-up today saying that my service was to be transferred within the next few days.

I believe that Tesco sold their service (and customers) to TalkTalk back in January but they didn't contact me personally until a few days ago.

Frankly I am not concerned about the delay or lack of information, all I care about is retaining my 'phone number and not being "tied" to any given ISP.

As I understand it, I could cancel my contract with Tesco, pay to the end of my contract and move elsewhere - e.g. BT.

Someone told me ages ago that it was becoming increasingly common for ISPs to refuse to release a 'phone number when a customer wished to move elsewhere, presumably as a means of discouraging the open market and migration opportunities that the Government proclaims with such enthusiasm.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to