General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-15 15:22:20
Print Post

Re: Tesco Broadband & Homephone moving to TalkTalk

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Perhaps the appropriate (honest) solution would be whenever a prospective customer is contemplating signing up with an ISP, a provider who plans to take over the 'phone number would be compelled clearly to advise the customer that they would be surrendering "ownership" of their number and "you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"?

By "clearly to advise" I don't mean "in microdot legalese on page 73 of the Ts&Cs freely available every third Thursday afternoon in some unlit broom cupboard somewhere in Syria"
Standard User 961a
(regular) Wed 09-Sep-15 15:53:51
Print Post

[re: bbvictim] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bbvictim:
Perhaps the appropriate (honest) solution would be..... "you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"?

By "clearly to advise" I don't mean "in microdot legalese on page 73 of the Ts&Cs freely available every third Thursday afternoon in some unlit broom cupboard somewhere in Syria"

You've hit the nail on the proverbial. It's nonsense. It's one of the reasons why, love them or loath them, I've stuck with BT. At least I can e-mail their CEO and get somebody to listen to my complaint

So far as you are concerned I'd let the dust settle and once things are up and running I'd get shifted elsewhere. And if, at the end of the day, you do need a new number, it really is not the end of the world. You can easily tell those you want to know what the new number is. I've had to do that, it does work

In the meantime I was so priviledged to see these guys live at the O2 when last they were there. Unforgettable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUevY8GHLiw
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Sep-15 18:21:52
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

But you have never owned the telephone number, and ownership does not change.

This is a mountain from a molehill, since there are risks of losing a number on mobile moves too, just no-one seems to warn you and millions switch phone line with no issues.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-15 18:44:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
But you have never owned the telephone number, and ownership does not change.
Technically absolutely true. However, not really much help to me - or to others who have suffered in the same way.

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
This is a mountain from a molehill.
Is it? Really? What an extraordinary expression of a personal opinion, your 'phone number may not matter to you - mine does to me.

I have had the same number for very many years; people contact me using that number. Last year I had a call from someone from overseas to whom I had not spoken for at least ten years. Had my number changed he would have had no way of contacting me. I have friends and relatives overseas. Why should I have to contact everyone who may know my 'phone number in order to tell them it has changed?

Personally, I have never had a problem retaining my number when moving a mobile from one contract to another and I don't know of anyone who has. Perhaps we are all unique?

Trust me, losing a reliable means of contact that I have had for years is an issue to me - as I suspect it would be for most people.

As a matter of interest, do you think it matters whether this forum continues to be called "thinkbroadband.com" or would you be happy if the name were to change to "tintacksankettles.com"?

Edited by bbvictim (Wed 09-Sep-15 18:51:46)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 09-Sep-15 19:12:35
Print Post

Have you checked it still isn't accepting incoming calls?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Sep-15 19:30:27
Print Post

Molehill comment is because the provider gave you a warning, but reality is that this is so rare in terms of happening i.e. lose of number cannot recall an instance.

It is almost used as a scare tactic by some providers to make them think about changing.

As things stand given the outgoing CLI is showing up as the correct number it appears you have not lost the number, just that incoming call routing needs to be resolved by the provider.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Roger_W
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-15 22:20:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I was moved from Virgin (ADSL) to Talk Talk back in February when Virgin decided 100,00 customers were of no significance! I had heard all the talk about Talk Talk but I have to say I have had no problem. My number was always safe, from a variable 3 - 16 down and .2 to .8 up I now have a stable 24/7 16 down and .9 up. Ample for me to stream video whilst my grandson plays on line. I have a new free and adequate router with excellent wi-fi, a free YouView box, unlimited phone calls, extra TV channels, no data limits and its costing me half the price of the smaller Virgin package. What's not to like?
In the immortal words of Private Jones, 'Don't panic'. Wait to see what they offer. If you don't like it then move!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Sep-15 08:49:44
Print Post

As a matter of interest, do you think it matters whether this forum continues to be called "thinkbroadband.com" or would you be happy if the name were to change to "tintacksankettles.com"?

Poor example, for I'd be almost certain that this sites owners do own the domain.
Had my number changed he would have had no way of contacting me.

Directory enquiries ? Send a letter to your address.

Not spoken in ten years, what hugely important association that must be ?!?!

Standard User zhango
(regular) Fri 11-Sep-15 09:31:43
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

Always good to retain the option to kiss and make up though?
Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Fri 11-Sep-15 10:46:12
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Poor example, for I'd be almost certain that this sites owners do own the domain.
Fair comment in relation to the domain name. However, I suspect you take my point. I believe that ANY long-term unique "Identifier" may well be of value to the "User" .

Directory enquiries ? Send a letter to your address.

Ex-Directory?

A 'phone number is perhaps easier to record or remember than an address?

The person in question is someone overseas with whom I used to work very many years ago. We had talked from to time to time on the 'phone. he was visiting the UK and wanted to meet up. There are many other instances where people and/or organisation happen to have my 'phone number - is there any sound reason why I should have to remember and contact them all, just in order to facilitate blackmail on the part of an ISP?

Our views on the utility of a consistent unique identifier clearly differ - you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, I just happen not to share it - OK?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to