General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Wed 02-Sep-15 12:49:50
Print Post

Tesco Broadband & Homephone moving to TalkTalk

[link to this post]

I have just received a letter from Tesco to tell me that my Broadband and Homephone service is being moved to TalkTalk - in a week! I didn't ask for and to be honest, don't want this change.

When I phoned Tesco to ask about the migration, amongst other things they said that they couldn't guarantee that I would be able to retain a home 'phone number that I have had for about 25 years! They suggested that I talk to TalkTalk but couldn't suggest to whom I should talk.

Does anyone else know about this change?
Is it true that I might lose my long-standing home 'phone number?
Is there anything I can do about this?

PLEASE HELP - FOR GOD'S SAKE!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Sep-15 13:05:46
Print Post

Re: Tesco Broadband & Homephone moving to TalkTalk

[re: bbvictim] [link to this post]

The new migration process is lead by the gaining provider and allows for a letter to be sent and 10 days to cancel it.

It may be that TalkTalk have raised an order in error and triggered the process. But, as you have the letter from Tesco they (Tesco) should now be able to stop the order so that it doesn't go through. And when Tesco stop the order everything should halt and there should be no change to your service.

I think your issue at present is with Tesco as it appears they don't understand the new migration process.
Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Wed 02-Sep-15 13:25:17
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks for replying (so fast).

However, I think that you may not see the full picture. Tesco sold their Broadband and Homephone service (and my contract) to TalkTalk earlier in the year. The letter I have had is from Tesco, more or less saying "Goodbye and Good Luck!" I have not had any contact from TalkTalk.

My two real problems are that I have no particular desire to be stuck with TalkTalk and I definitely do not want to lose my landline 'phone number.

Thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Sep-15 13:38:53
Print Post

To be honest I can't see your number being lost by this migration to the TalkTalk network, have Tesco given a firm date as to when your service will be migrated to TalkTalk... or have they just said that TalkTalk will begin moving people across in a weeks time..

The reason is that you should have the option to migrate away from Tesco to another provider of choosing before this change... TalkTalks network has been known to be tricky when migrating OUT and numbers have been lost in this case, but if you opt to move to another provider such as BT they should be able to take your number from Tesco and bring it to their network without an issue.

7 days notice for a switch isn't very good and as pointed out the new migration system for customer switching provider has a 10 day waiting period before nay process is even started.

Standard User Adrianuk
(newbie) Wed 02-Sep-15 13:44:39
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Surely until TalkTalk change the contract then any minimum term remains? TTs network should provide the same performance (or even better, as sans traffic management) so can't be classed as material detriment.

If a migration date has been set then I would probably recommend the OP just rides it out for now. Number is unlikely to go missing and I imagine TT will want to move them on to a new package triggering a penalty-free get out soon. Trying to migrate from Tesco whilst TT are trying to do their thing can only cause issues.

If no date has been set then it's probably safe to migrate out of Tesco directly but obviously will be subject to early termination fees if still in minimum commitment.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Sep-15 13:49:34
Print Post

The lost number issue generally only arises for numbers that were from the original TalkTalk pool.

Numbers ported in (even if to full LLU) should port back out sensibly.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Sep-15 13:53:52
Print Post

Is this the very first official contact you've had about the move?

So long as TalkTalk continue to provide the same service there is no get out of contract for free situation, only if they change the contract, i.e. we as consumers can be traded around as blocks like this so long as service delivered/price does not change.

The bit about the phone number, the guarantee is more because a very very small number get messed up in internal migrations like this, so unlikely to lose it.

If the orders have actually been placed to institute a migration then probably too late to do a lot about it, unless Tesco will cancel it and you can start your own migration elsewhere.

Any provider change, like when you joined Tesco originally cannot guarantee you will retain your telephone number.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Sep-15 14:07:17
Print Post

[re: Adrianuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adrianuk:
Trying to migrate from Tesco whilst TT are trying to do their thing can only cause issues.

If no date has been set then it's probably safe to migrate out of Tesco directly but obviously will be subject to early termination fees if still in minimum commitment.

Agreed, this was the reason I asked if it was a week from notice the service would move or a week from notice that the migrations process started.

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The lost number issue generally only arises for numbers that were from the original TalkTalk pool.

Numbers ported in (even if to full LLU) should port back out sensibly.

Oh OK, Thanks for clearing that up! smile

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Sep-15 14:52:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by bbvictim:
However, I think that you may not see the full picture.

That is true as you didn't give out the pertinent information. You may not want to move from Tesco but Tesco appear to be no longer running a service - so you either move to TalkTalk or you migrate to someone else. Others have already given info around this so no point in me repeating. The key question for me that has been asked is if this was the first time you had any info saying you would be moved? If it is then that is definitely poor service for Tesco as they could have let you know earlier then you could have chosen to move somewhere else.
Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Wed 02-Sep-15 15:04:25
Print Post

I had an unhelpful letter from Tesco a few days ago saying that they had some important news about "Important changes to your Tesco Broadband and Homephone service" and a follow-up today saying that my service was to be transferred within the next few days.

I believe that Tesco sold their service (and customers) to TalkTalk back in January but they didn't contact me personally until a few days ago.

Frankly I am not concerned about the delay or lack of information, all I care about is retaining my 'phone number and not being "tied" to any given ISP.

As I understand it, I could cancel my contract with Tesco, pay to the end of my contract and move elsewhere - e.g. BT.

Someone told me ages ago that it was becoming increasingly common for ISPs to refuse to release a 'phone number when a customer wished to move elsewhere, presumably as a means of discouraging the open market and migration opportunities that the Government proclaims with such enthusiasm.
Standard User Adrianuk
(newbie) Wed 02-Sep-15 15:18:32
Print Post

I wouldn't pay to end your contract with Tesco if I were you - your number should be fine and you will be able to leave TalkTalk penalty free if (when) they try and move you over to one of their packages.

Then you will be able to move anywhere else.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Sep-15 15:23:40
Print Post

If the migration is in progress you cannot move providers until the service has successfully settled in at TalkTalk... if you still are within contract with Tesco for Eg. 5 months then this will continue with TalkTalk.

As has been said it is highly unlikely that you will lose your number during the transfer to TalkTalk and apparently there is no reason it should fail to be released from TalkTalk at request,

I think its worth you giving TalkTalk a chance as they don't seem to be that bad an ISP and considering you are transferring in from Tesco which unless in a C&W LLU area would of been sold over BT's infrastructure and possibly a lower priority over other providers using that infrastructure, with TalkTalk you should get near highest priority of service and potentially see an improvement in service performance and consistency.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 02-Sep-15 15:25:14
Print Post

As long as it's in a TalkTalk LLU area.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Sep-15 15:26:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OH yes, of course! wink

Standard User Adrianuk
(newbie) Wed 02-Sep-15 15:31:32
Print Post

If they aren't then they will be going over to Fleur Telecom not TalkTalk.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6815-talktalk-dum...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 02-Sep-15 15:38:42
Print Post

[re: Adrianuk] [link to this post]

Thanks Adrian smile. I was completely unaware of that sell-off.

I wonder where that leaves Post Office broadband.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Sep-15 15:57:29
Print Post

DO NOT CANCEL

Cancelling the contract with Tesco will drop the number back in the pool and will make it very likely you will lose the number.

Cannot recall the time we have seen someone had their number refuse to be released, but can remember plenty of times people cancel and have no service and wonder why they lose the number after not paying for it for a few weeks.

Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Wed 02-Sep-15 16:52:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What does that mean?
How do I determine whether I am in a TalkTalk LLU area?
If I am not, am I stuffed?
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Sep-15 18:00:10
Print Post

What does that mean?
How do I determine whether I am in a TalkTalk LLU area?
If I am not, am I stuffed?
enter your number and or post code in that checker, it should say which llu suppliers have equipment in your telephone exchange

Sam knows
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Sep-15 18:41:30
Print Post

You can try the sign up process which I've just tried and if there is no TT LLU provision in the exchange you should get the same message as I did.

plusnet user
Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Thu 03-Sep-15 23:29:03
Print Post

This just in:
As this is the first part of the migration to Talk Talk (Network Migration), you still remain a Tesco Broadband and Homephone customer and phone number remains the same. When the final part of the migration begins (Billing Migration), you will be contacted by Talk Talk to begin a contract with them. If you let this process complete naturally, whilst I cannot 100% guarantee that your number will be transferred, Talk Talk will do everything possible to retain your current number.
Brilliant!
Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-15 10:59:32
Print Post

Broadband service has now been transferred - presumably to TalkTalk.
I can call out on my landline.
Anyone calling my landline gets a "number unobtainable" message.

GREAT!

Can anyone suggest what ISP I might transfer to without losing a 'phone number that I have had for many years? Fibre is not currently available in my area or I would move to BT who are probably capable of dealing competently with this issue.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Sep-15 12:13:13
Print Post

Call your mobile what number does it show up as, is that the number you want.

If yes, then issue is just that the number mapping on the TalkTalk just needs a little time.

Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-15 13:12:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, I have tried and the reported number is as you suggested my old phone number.

Should this mean that I will be able to retain my old number?

I don't understand why there is an issue in retaining my number if I migrate between ISPs, it seems to be quite straightforward with a mobile 'phone. Is there likely to be any problem if I move to a different ISP at a future date?

Thanks again.
Standard User keith969
(learned) Wed 09-Sep-15 13:16:57
Print Post

Unfortunately Tesco are in serious financial trouble with huge debts and a criminal investigation into their accounting practices. So they are selling off as much of their non-essential business as they can. Not surprised they have divested this bit of their business.

It's one of the reasons I've stuck with BT over the years - they aren't going to go away in short notice.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Sep-15 13:18:23
Print Post

They should be able to do it but companies can get awkward when they want.

As far as it being straight forward for mobiles that is the case for the customer but in the background it is most definitely not straight forward. Mobile numbers are essentially owned by an operator and are generally owned in blocks. It is difficult to actually move a number that is part of a block so they don't. What actually happens is the operator who owns the number continues to own it and essentially forwards that number on to the new operator. There is a lot of paddling going on under the surface that the end user has no idea is happening.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Sep-15 13:27:36
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by keith969:
Unfortunately Tesco are in serious financial trouble with huge debts and a criminal investigation into their accounting practices.

Hmmm, yes there employee's are certainly feeling the brunt of this too frown

FTTC* - FTTN - LTE

*Migrating > Full MPF 16th September smile
Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-15 13:50:07
Print Post

I certainly don't understand the background technical issues, I don't even entirely understand the consequences for the end-user.

The situation with landlines and broadband seems to involve a major oversight in terms of legislation. Surely all of the infrastructure is owned and maintained by BT? It sounds very much as if ISPs are using loopholes in the deregulation legislation effectively to blackmail customers into not benefiting from the best available deal.

As to mobiles, I am delighted that despite the difficulties, migration between mobiles 'phone providers is relatively seamless - an unusual instance where the Government seems to have got competition legislation right smile

Edited by bbvictim (Wed 09-Sep-15 13:56:00)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Sep-15 13:55:02
Print Post

In the case of TalkTalk and Sky they have a certain amount of their own equipment/connectivity in most exchanges. Also, the actual back end (ie beyond the Exchanges/BT Backhaul) is generally owned by the ISPs so there is a lot of stuff the ISPs do have control of. Regulation potentially does need to be better and ISPs need to stop using scare tactics and ass-covering comments.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 09-Sep-15 14:02:40
Print Post

One possible factor is that the way fixed line broadband works several physical connection changes need to be made in the exchange whenever you move to or from an LLU supplier, including the phone circuit, whether or not the phone number is also moved to the LLU supplier.

Things can go wrong.

In this case it is possible your migration is happening in two stages and the phone line hasn't yet been moved but the routing for incoming calls has been changed ready for that. (Wild guess but is a logical possibility).

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 09-Sep-15 14:03:20)

Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-15 15:22:20
Print Post

Perhaps the appropriate (honest) solution would be whenever a prospective customer is contemplating signing up with an ISP, a provider who plans to take over the 'phone number would be compelled clearly to advise the customer that they would be surrendering "ownership" of their number and "you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"?

By "clearly to advise" I don't mean "in microdot legalese on page 73 of the Ts&Cs freely available every third Thursday afternoon in some unlit broom cupboard somewhere in Syria"
Standard User 961a
(regular) Wed 09-Sep-15 15:53:51
Print Post

Perhaps the appropriate (honest) solution would be..... "you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"?

By "clearly to advise" I don't mean "in microdot legalese on page 73 of the Ts&Cs freely available every third Thursday afternoon in some unlit broom cupboard somewhere in Syria"

You've hit the nail on the proverbial. It's nonsense. It's one of the reasons why, love them or loath them, I've stuck with BT. At least I can e-mail their CEO and get somebody to listen to my complaint

So far as you are concerned I'd let the dust settle and once things are up and running I'd get shifted elsewhere. And if, at the end of the day, you do need a new number, it really is not the end of the world. You can easily tell those you want to know what the new number is. I've had to do that, it does work

In the meantime I was so priviledged to see these guys live at the O2 when last they were there. Unforgettable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUevY8GHLiw
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Sep-15 18:21:52
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

But you have never owned the telephone number, and ownership does not change.

This is a mountain from a molehill, since there are risks of losing a number on mobile moves too, just no-one seems to warn you and millions switch phone line with no issues.

Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-15 18:44:22
Print Post

But you have never owned the telephone number, and ownership does not change.
Technically absolutely true. However, not really much help to me - or to others who have suffered in the same way.

This is a mountain from a molehill.
Is it? Really? What an extraordinary expression of a personal opinion, your 'phone number may not matter to you - mine does to me.

I have had the same number for very many years; people contact me using that number. Last year I had a call from someone from overseas to whom I had not spoken for at least ten years. Had my number changed he would have had no way of contacting me. I have friends and relatives overseas. Why should I have to contact everyone who may know my 'phone number in order to tell them it has changed?

Personally, I have never had a problem retaining my number when moving a mobile from one contract to another and I don't know of anyone who has. Perhaps we are all unique?

Trust me, losing a reliable means of contact that I have had for years is an issue to me - as I suspect it would be for most people.

As a matter of interest, do you think it matters whether this forum continues to be called "thinkbroadband.com" or would you be happy if the name were to change to "tintacksankettles.com"?

Edited by bbvictim (Wed 09-Sep-15 18:51:46)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 09-Sep-15 19:12:35
Print Post

Have you checked it still isn't accepting incoming calls?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Sep-15 19:30:27
Print Post

Molehill comment is because the provider gave you a warning, but reality is that this is so rare in terms of happening i.e. lose of number cannot recall an instance.

It is almost used as a scare tactic by some providers to make them think about changing.

As things stand given the outgoing CLI is showing up as the correct number it appears you have not lost the number, just that incoming call routing needs to be resolved by the provider.

Standard User Roger_W
(newbie) Wed 09-Sep-15 22:20:48
Print Post

I was moved from Virgin (ADSL) to Talk Talk back in February when Virgin decided 100,00 customers were of no significance! I had heard all the talk about Talk Talk but I have to say I have had no problem. My number was always safe, from a variable 3 - 16 down and .2 to .8 up I now have a stable 24/7 16 down and .9 up. Ample for me to stream video whilst my grandson plays on line. I have a new free and adequate router with excellent wi-fi, a free YouView box, unlimited phone calls, extra TV channels, no data limits and its costing me half the price of the smaller Virgin package. What's not to like?
In the immortal words of Private Jones, 'Don't panic'. Wait to see what they offer. If you don't like it then move!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Sep-15 08:49:44
Print Post

As a matter of interest, do you think it matters whether this forum continues to be called "thinkbroadband.com" or would you be happy if the name were to change to "tintacksankettles.com"?

Poor example, for I'd be almost certain that this sites owners do own the domain.
Had my number changed he would have had no way of contacting me.

Directory enquiries ? Send a letter to your address.

Not spoken in ten years, what hugely important association that must be ?!?!

Standard User zhango
(regular) Fri 11-Sep-15 09:31:43
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

Always good to retain the option to kiss and make up though?
Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Fri 11-Sep-15 10:46:12
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Poor example, for I'd be almost certain that this sites owners do own the domain.
Fair comment in relation to the domain name. However, I suspect you take my point. I believe that ANY long-term unique "Identifier" may well be of value to the "User" .

Directory enquiries ? Send a letter to your address.

Ex-Directory?

A 'phone number is perhaps easier to record or remember than an address?

The person in question is someone overseas with whom I used to work very many years ago. We had talked from to time to time on the 'phone. he was visiting the UK and wanted to meet up. There are many other instances where people and/or organisation happen to have my 'phone number - is there any sound reason why I should have to remember and contact them all, just in order to facilitate blackmail on the part of an ISP?

Our views on the utility of a consistent unique identifier clearly differ - you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, I just happen not to share it - OK?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Sep-15 11:43:21
Print Post

For the second time, is the problem sorted yet?

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Fri 11-Sep-15 11:57:58
Print Post

For the second time, is the problem sorted yet?
Yes and No.

YES
My broadband service and landline have been transferred from Tesco to TalkTalk and I still have my original 'phone number - there are now other issues but that is a separate topic.

NO
I have not been given any guarantee that I will not lose my landline number when TalkTalk take over the "contract" from Tesco.

I would still like to understand what I can do to ensure that I can retain my landline number if and when I move from ISP to ISP.

I was under the impression that this was part of the deal when the Government flooged off bits of the BT monopoly in 1984 in order to increase competition and provide a better customer service.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Sep-15 12:05:57
Print Post

So people can now call in on your number? When did it go right?

If so, surely TalkTalk have already fully taken it over from Tesco? As some of us have suggested, it would simply have been TalkTalk's routing that hadn't been updated.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 11-Sep-15 12:06:19)

Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Fri 11-Sep-15 12:36:04
Print Post

So people can now call in on your number? When did it go right? If so, surely TalkTalk have already fully taken it over from Tesco? As some of us have suggested, it would simply have been TalkTalk's routing that hadn't been updated.
I'm not sure when exactly people were able to call my number, I think that it took about 24 hours.

So far as I can understand (from Tesco), my contract for supply with Tesco is being run down until the end-date which is early next year. In the meantime, TalkTalk are effectively acting as a sub-contractor for Tesco. When my contract with Tesco ends, TalkTalk will offer me a new, different, improved contract. I have not had confirmation that this will include retention of my landline number; since I am not actually a TalkTalk customer at the moment, they will not comment on that. Nor can anyone tell me whether I would be able to retain my landline number if I were to change ISP, either when my Tesco contract expires or at some future date.

I would still like to understand what I can do to ensure that I can retain my landline number if and when I move from ISP to ISP, at any time. I was under the impression that this was part of the deal when the Government flooged off bits of the BT monopoly in 1984 in order to increase competition and provide a better customer service.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Sep-15 13:31:18
Print Post

Seeing as the line is now routed through TalkTalk, with that number and circuit ID attached, the (rather odd but I believe it) commercial arrangement shouldn't have any effect at the end of your Tesco contract.

It's probably an accounting thing, to save them having to calculate the full outstanding value (specifically the Net Present Value) of all current contracts that TalkTalk would have to pay.

(Say ten payments of £20 were still to come, you would pay £200. But the NPV would be lower than £200. If TalkTalk paid Tesco the full value then Tesco would have the use of your money earlier and TT would have lent it to Tesco before you would pay TalkTalk. Apply that principal to every account and it could add up to quite a significant amount. Like you paying something such as line rental a year in advance - you pay less because the lower amount straight away is worth more over 12 months).

I wouldn't be surprised if you don't already have a TalkTalk account, but it is being billed to and paid for by Tesco. The change would just be Tesco stopping charging you and TalkTalk starting. Any change to pricing and broadband service wouldn't affect the line number.

It's normally when the line is physically re-routed by Openreach or the migration ordering is cocked-up that things can go wrong and the number lost. That physical change has already happened. The migration has completed.

Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Fri 23-Oct-15 14:14:49
Print Post

Will people still be banging on about how great TalkTalk is?

I wonder whether credulous people will still continue to bang on about why I should be happy to have been flung into the incompetent hands of TalkTalk?
Standard User Adrianuk
(learned) Sat 24-Oct-15 00:10:56
Print Post

Re: Will people still be banging on about how great TalkTalk

I wonder whether credulous people will still continue to bang on about why I should be happy to have been flung into the incompetent hands of TalkTalk?

I don't think that is fair - the concerns you raised originally were unfounded and everything that has been said is still valid. Your number is safe.

If you had voiced concerns about your data security at the time, then given that TalkTalk had already lost customer data twice at this point, you might have received different replies.

You came to this forum for advice regarding your number and you were given it - this advice turned out to be correct.

You have had a while now after your transfer to pay up your contract and move elsewhere. Why have you not? Nobody advised you to stay indefinitely - just until your number transfer was done.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 24-Oct-15 00:27:33
Print Post

As AdrianUK has pointed out, you can't of found TalkTalk so bad as you've continued to stay a customer even after many advised you moved as soon as you officially landed on TalkTalk...

Coming on here to have a [censored] about TalkTalk because they are currently at the centre of something that has happened many times already to other major companies and could and will happen again to other companies...

I'm going to be spending my Saturday and probably best part if Sunday assisting family members and probably friends of theirs with updating passwords and security because of this breach, however I'm not blaming TalkTalk, I'm going to blame whoever was responsible for such an attack.
Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Sat 24-Oct-15 08:32:35
Print Post

Adrianuk & mlmclaren - you are making assumptions which may not be entirely justified. My views on TalkTalk have not altered in any way.

I didn't know until recently that TalkTalk had failed to prevent a couple of "Hacks" already this year for which they are being investigated by the Information Commissioner's Office. The fact that TalkTalk don't even know (if actually true) whether they were encrypting personal data is staggering in terms of incompetence.

Nonetheless, if TalkTalk weather this storm, in order to have any sort of future, they may have a wholesale (mis)management clear-out, a policy review and have to make some special offers to entice customers back so perhaps not all bad wink

"SQL Injection"???

Dear merciful God!"

Edited by bbvictim (Sat 24-Oct-15 08:35:04)

Standard User knicol46
(learned) Sat 24-Oct-15 10:09:13
Print Post

Good luck dealing with TalkTalk - asy the technical support a question that is not on their flowchart and the phone line goes dead.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 24-Oct-15 11:21:19
Print Post

I didn't know until recently that TalkTalk had failed to prevent a couple of "Hacks" already this year for which they are being investigated by the Information Commissioner's Office. The fact that TalkTalk don't even know (if actually true) whether they were encrypting personal data is staggering in terms of incompetence.

and you know this to be true how....

The reality of it is, maybe TalkTalk where a bit relaxed on the Data Protection front or maybe the people responsible for customer data (maybe an external source) are to blame...

There's too many if's and buts but if your taking anything the media are saying as the whole truth then your mistaken to do so...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 24-Oct-15 11:39:44
Print Post

Consider this encryption is only worthwhile if the decryption key is secret. Even then some encryption and hashing algorithms can be broken easily enough

So even if every details was encrypted in database stolen data can still be useful in some cases

The safest presumption is all data was compromised

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 24-Oct-15 11:47:05
Print Post

My thoughts exactly!
Standard User bbvictim
(newbie) Mon 16-Nov-15 23:55:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren: