General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bit_bucket
(learned) Thu 17-Sep-15 08:39:12
Print Post

BTW charges for GPL migration?

[link to this post]

Does anybody know if BTW charge the losing provider for one of these new fangled GPL migrations?
This is a bog standard WB(M)C to WB(M)C migration.

I was aware that BTW had imposed a "cease" charge, on the losing provider, for migration to full LLU MPF since the back end of 2014, but I certainly wasn't aware that they were now doing the same for migrations that would have previously been accomplished with a MAC until a couple of months ago.

The reason for asking:
A couple of weeks ago, a contact of mine migrated her service from Eclipse to Zen, only to then find a £36 "cease" charge from Eclipse, on top of their 30 day notice charge, which she already knew about.
When she queried the charge, first off she was told that it was because she had migrated without using a MAC!
Eclipse helpfully sent a copy of their T&Cs, dated February 2015, which had MAC written all over them.
When she went on to query the validity of their continued reference to MACs, they changed their tune slightly, saying that they were just recovering the "cease" charge that BTW had imposed on them.

Are Eclipse correct in what they're saying or are they just extracting the urine?

I'm feeling slightly guilty, as I had advised her that, as she was long out of contract with Eclipse, there would be no termination charges.

Ta very much

Lizzie
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Sep-15 09:15:51
Print Post

Re: BTW charges for GPL migration?

[re: bit_bucket] [link to this post]

I would have thought that if a "cease" didn't occur then there shouldn't have been a charge for it.

plusnet user
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Sep-15 09:47:58
Print Post

Cease charges should only have applied if a cease was carried out, even on migrations to Full MPF if part of a migration cease charges are not meant to be raised.

It is impossible to migrate with a MAC now as they are not available since 20th June 2015.

Of course providers are at liberty to add their own cease charges and in this case looks like Eclipse has not actually woken up to new migration process imposed by Ofcom. So would say Eclipse are messing about, dispute the charge and remind of the migration changes.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Sep-15 09:59:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

According to Plusnet it depends on how the migration is handled
Sometimes is is done via a cancellation rather than a migration and then the charge is imposed
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1421...
Standard User bit_bucket
(learned) Thu 17-Sep-15 10:36:10
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Thanks for your comment Jim.

Zen, as gaining provider, have confirmed that they definitely did NOT request a WB(M)C "cease and re-provide".

Under the MAC system, it would have been classified as a "Cease (L)" and therefore not chargeable.
Though I don't know if these cease types all stayed the same after MAC morphed into GPL(?).

Thanks

Lizzie
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Sep-15 10:42:49
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

In which case the provider was not following best practice migration techniques

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Sep-15 10:49:19
Print Post

agreed and there was even one occasion reported - while the mac system was in it's last throws - where BT Retail were the guilty party and when challenged paid the cancellation charge themselves
Standard User bit_bucket
(learned) Thu 17-Sep-15 11:05:39
Print Post

Thanks Mr S

Of no direct relevance to my original query, but:

I was informed not that long ago, by our Timico account manager, that BTW were still making cease charges, to the losing provider, for "Cease (M)" "LLU XFER PSTN CEASED".
i.e. WLR3 to Sky or TalkTalk full LLU MPF migrations.

Whilst I appreciate that this sort of migration involves frame re-jumpering (adding an LLUT MPF tie), and BTW are entitled to recover that extra cost, I thought Ofcom said that this cost was supposed to be recovered from the gaining provider.

Do you know if Ofcom have woken up and have put a stop to this recently?

Thanks again,

Lizzie
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Sep-15 13:15:14
Print Post

If this charge was being levied en-masse would expect PlusNet and many others to pass it on and thus to be much more visible than the odd post.

Print Thread

Jump to