General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User John_Boy_1946
(newbie) Wed 18-Nov-15 17:31:59
Print Post

BT - free monthly double data allowance

[link to this post]

I'm on an ADSL2+ line that used to have a typical download speed of 9 Mbps with an IP Profile of >12 Mbps. In October I accepted BT's offer to double my data allowance. Shortly after, my download speed and IP Profile went to 4 Mbps. Line attenuation and SNR are the same as before and line capability on a Billion 8800NL is still >12 Mbps, so I assume that I'm throttled. The BT Help Desk was of no use in amending the IP Profile so I now have an extended contract with a much reduced download speed and, despite living in a city, no possibility of switching to Infinity. Buyer beware.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-Nov-15 18:25:06
Print Post

Re: BT - free monthly double data allowance

[re: John_Boy_1946] [link to this post]

Not likely to be a throttle as far to obvious for that, but more likely the ADSL2+ DLM just reacting to the varying noise conditions.

Have you powered off and back on the modem, i.e. to ensure that the low speed is not from just a noise blip. You say the line capability is still over 12 Mbps, is that the max rate or the connection speed? Since on ADSL2+ the IP profile should always be a direct reflection of the sync rate.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Nov-15 18:48:21
Print Post

See what you get from this tester and make sure to follow on and complete the "further diagnostics" (tab is at bottom of page) as well:

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

plusnet user

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Wed 18-Nov-15 20:14:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Those figures have remained for more than two weeks. I can't paste the xDSL stats but the worst downstream readings at stable SNRs are:

SNR 6.1 dB, rate 4.539 Mbps, attainable rate 9.724 Mbps, attenuation 43.5 dB, line coding - trellis.
SNR 1.1 dB, rate 4.539 Mbps, attainable rate 11.672 Mbps, attenuation 43.0 dB, line coding - trellis

BT Wholesale Speed checker shows an IP Profile of 4.0 Mbps.

Cabling from the the BT Master Jack to to Billion 8800NL (in bridge mode) hasn't changed from Cat5e STP.

I won't download the present xDSL stats as I have to do a factory reset on the Billion when it's in bridge mode.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-Nov-15 21:29:14
Print Post

If exactly the same sync after a reboot of the router then suggests banding has been applied, i.e. a system to cap sync speed to avoid undue numbers of resyncs. ISP can get this removed or you can just wait for DLM to see the line is stable for a couple of weeks and remove it

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 19-Nov-15 12:01:00
Print Post

I suspect I live on the planet Zarg. I contacted BT Help Desk - that's an oxymoron - and requested that my IP Profile was raised. After 45 minutes on BT Live Chat the proposed solution was; "take the cable out of a yellow socket and put it another yellow socket"!

The stats that I posted were after the line had been stable with no modem drop outs for two weeks. The stats at the start and end of the two weeks were the same. Before this cap, I could change the target SNR in the 8800NL and the BT downstream speed would change within minutes.

Does anyone on the forum know of a BT point of contact who can arrange for the re-setting of the IP Profile?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Nov-15 12:04:47
Print Post

Help desks CANNOT raise the IP profile, the IP profile is 100% determined by the connection speed, so asking for banding to be removed from the line as its limiting connection speed should stand more chance of them finding something on their question/answer sheets.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 19-Nov-15 13:09:04
Print Post

I'm assuming you have re-sync'ed since the slow speed started. You don't actually say so.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(newbie) Thu 19-Nov-15 13:15:16
Print Post

I'm aware the the BT Help Desk does not have a Sysadmin who can remotely access the exchange. I contacted the Help Desk to try and establish to whom this request should be addressed. The Help Desk hadn't heard of DSLAM and IP Profile. You have seen that my xDSL stats that show the IP Profile and connection speed are the same regardless of SNR and downstream speed.

Does anyone have the BT contacts either for a BT sysadmin with remote access to exchanges or to arrange an on-site reset?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Nov-15 13:50:46
Print Post

SNR 6.1 dB, rate 4.539 Mbps, attainable rate 9.724 Mbps, attenuation 43.5 dB, line coding - trellis.
SNR 1.1 dB, rate 4.539 Mbps, attainable rate 11.672 Mbps, attenuation 43.0 dB, line coding - trellis

The IP profile of 4 Mbps is 100% correct for the rate of 4.539 Mbps. The attainable is a theoretical figure and represents what MIGHT be possible if any target noise margin or banding restrictions are removed.

This is not a sysadmin issue, but getting your retail provider to take on board a request for the DLM to be reset and specifically the banding to be removed. If that is done then the IP profile will automatically correct, insisting on an IP Profile will ALWAYS result in a we cannot do that, a banding or DLM reset is something they can request from the wholesale provider.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to