General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Thu 03-Dec-15 21:44:45
Print Post

What is an acceptable actual speed from BB supplier?

[link to this post]

I have a new Post Office broadband service at a non LLU exchange. The original speed estimate was about 6Mbps, in fact the router connects at 8.128Mbps which is good.

However, what I have found is that although the service works fine in the morning, it becomes almost unusable in the evening. This is an example of the evening performance, and this is the performance the following morning.

I presume that the back haul from the exchange is not big enough. I have not yet complained to the PO, but I presume it is not a problem that the help desk is going to solve immediately.

Are there any standards of acceptability which I can expect the PO to adhere to? I don't pay that much so to some extent I maybe getting what I have paid for, OTOH I could argue that I did not know what the PO would actually deliver.

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Dec-15 22:06:58
Print Post

Re: What is an acceptable actual speed from BB supplier?

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Post Office is one of the ISP people warn you away from when its a non-LLU exchange, they are known for not buying enough capacity for users in this situation

What is acceptable is a negotiation thing, i.e. no absolute rules have been cast in stone

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Dec-15 22:16:18
Print Post

That is unusable at peak times, If they wont sort it ,i would be re negotiating the monthly subs, only pay for the times you get a unusable service, after all that is what you are paying for, failing that vote with your feet and migrate to another isp

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 03-Dec-15 22:17:24)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Thu 03-Dec-15 22:18:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

What do you think the best approach would be to get them to improve their service?

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Dec-15 22:19:49
Print Post

Given they seem not in a rush to improve things based on this is a long running thing its more about moving provider

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Dec-15 22:22:32
Print Post

What do you think the best approach would be to get them to improve their service?

Leave ?

(experienced) Thu 03-Dec-15 22:42:58
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Leave ?
If I left I would not care whether or not they improved the service, smile

The service is at a holiday home, and one of its uses is remote monitoring, initially the temperature and the central heating, then I plan to have a burglar alarm that I can monitor, and later maybe cameras. I also want to control the cost.

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 03-Dec-15 23:18:34
Print Post

They won't.

It is TalkTalk non-LLU and that has always been dreadful even on TalkTalk itself. Just like Sky Connect and O2 non-LLU when that was around.

The Post Office will have moved from whoever it was before, (I forget just at the moment), probably to pay less than they did before, so they won't be paying anything like enough to get TalkTalk to increase their non-LLU capacity.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
(experienced) Thu 03-Dec-15 23:40:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
They won't.

It is TalkTalk non-LLU and that has always been dreadful even on TalkTalk itself. Just like Sky Connect and O2 non-LLU when that was around.

The Post Office will have moved from whoever it was before, (I forget just at the moment), probably to pay less than they did before, so they won't be paying anything like enough to get TalkTalk to increase their non-LLU capacity.
Which makes me wonder whether Talk Talk will ever start an LLU operation. The exchange has about 1100 residential and 30 business lines.

Michael Chare
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Dec-15 10:04:33
Print Post

If I left I would not care whether or not they improved the service

That was kind of my point. As Bob mentioned, this service from them has a dreadful reputation for exactly the issues you currently face. They will be in no hurry to resolve anything. Vote with your feet and leave them and their shoddy service, it is the best way to make your point to them I'd say.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to