General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ajdroberts
(newbie) Fri 11-Dec-15 18:53:42
Print Post

Time for a change

[link to this post]

I've mentioned my own and my village's Exchange Only line problems a few times in the past few weeks.

Based on the comments of several engineers who've carried out the latest repair, these problems are entirely down to a failure by Openreach to maintain our connections properly. The result is that we have regular phone disconnections, often for more than a week at a time and my neighbour has had three of these, one of which was for two weeks. The BB service is often much slower than it should be (<25% of what, on a good day, it can be).

I've kept my ISP out of the discussions until now - I appreciate they are only a middle-man. However, their telephone response times are wholly unacceptable and the Complaints Department person I have been assigned has achieved absolutely nothing over the past 7 weeks and has failed to do what he agreed to do and/or by agreed times.

Ironically, the engineer who was previously dealing with my 'Question' and who was very helpful and often made some progress, albeit temporarliy, was killed off by Plusnet after I had written direct to Opnreach's Gavin Patterson to complain about the frailty of their cabling to our village.

Worse, when my complaint 'handler' went on leave earlier this week without passing the ongoing and still very current BB problems to a colleague I decided I had to email the department's manager to ask that someone else to be assigned to my case. Two days on and no-one has even acknowledged that email. let alone acted on it.

So, time to vote with my wallet, cancel the contract and initiate proceedings for a refund of payments made since these problems arose more than 3 months ago. Basic consumer rights apply - 'fit for purpose' and all that. And in case anyone from Plusnet management is reading this the 'Question' is 111076849.

So, without wanting to drop from the frying pan into the fire, what ISP do you suggest -bearing in mind their the possibility of a fibre service, albeit using the old, lousy copper cabling that we currently have, sometime in the next six months.

What I really need is an ISP that will just get a commitment from Openreach to supply me with a reliable service
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Dec-15 18:59:56
Print Post

Re: Time for a change

[re: ajdroberts] [link to this post]

Just a point of information, that unfortunately doesn't give an ISP. I'm not sure whether you just made a typo or not, but Gavin Patterson is BT Group CEO. So the Openreach CEO Joe Garner's boss.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Dec-15 20:24:00
Print Post

THE best for sorting out issues with BT is AAISP - if you can afford it.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Telephone rental: Pulse8

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ajdroberts
(newbie) Fri 11-Dec-15 22:56:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Gavin Patterson is BT Group CEO. So he's the boss of Openreach CEO, Joe Garner .

Yes, I did know this thanks but I wrote to Patterson deliberately.

BT Group, for now anyway, owns both Plusnet and Openreach. I have been persuaded only recently that breaking BT Group's links with Openreach is the only way that we, as the general public, will see the removal of a significant hindrance to effective competition in the marketplace.

Plusnet shares BTG's bed with BT the ISP so that's two major ISPs who do not have the necessary independence to challenge Openreach management and their investment policies.

I just hope that a breakup doesn't overly strengthen the hands of Virgin and Sky at the same time.
Standard User ajdroberts
(newbie) Sat 12-Dec-15 12:06:59
Print Post

Time for a change

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
THE best for sorting out issues with BT is AAISP - if you can afford it.

Jelv - like you, I've been with Plusnet for many years, as long as I've had Broadband in fact. But the value of your ISP is obvious only when you have problems. I've been looking at the AAISP link you posted -how fascinating and interesting, the whole website.

There's a lot there that I like, not least the fact that they'll not lie down and roll over as does Plusnet. Or, more accurately, roll over and hibernate when it comes to my problems with Openreach equipment.

I'd like to learn much more about them from existing users - they look a lot less mainstream than any other utility company I've ever thought of using.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 12-Dec-15 13:00:11
Print Post

If cost is an issue, everything depends on your download requirements.

I'm on Home::1 on 80/20, as 100GBpm is far more than I need. The cost is with Pulse8broadband phone is near enough the same as Plusnet 80/20 unlimited with BT Consumer phone, which is what I had before. You can buy more GB of course.

No problems so far. Needed a bit of help between order and migration, very well handled.

The AAISP units-based system is very flexible, particularly if you can schedule large downloads to their 1000GB per unit overnight. Units are used in fractions, so 400GB overnight leaves you with 0.6 of a unit for daytime use at whatever rate you are on.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User corsa57
(newbie) Sat 12-Dec-15 13:05:04
Print Post

My experience so far is, yes, there are some ISPs that are better than others but even the best cannot sort BT Openreach, they can persuade, cajole and no doubt use their personal connection to try and get a resolution but that is as far as it goes.
So don't expect wonders from whoever you choose to change to they still have to deal with BT and if co-operation is not forthcoming then nothing will change.
Until there is a change in the structure of BT to make them more directly accountable to their customers then nothing will happen.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 12-Dec-15 13:07:43
Print Post

[re: corsa57] [link to this post]

What experience do you mean? It looks like you've only used Zen.
Standard User corsa57
(newbie) Sat 12-Dec-15 13:09:31
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

No I have in fact been with several and am currently with Andrews and Arnold having changed to them a couple of months ago.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 12-Dec-15 13:10:02
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

And Plusnet.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to