General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gilesp
(regular) Mon 14-Dec-15 20:02:49
Print Post

frustration moving phone and BB back to BT

[link to this post]

Got royally cheesed off with my incumbent ISP with their inability to fix random dropouts. So on the 27th Nov, I told them I'd be cancelling my contracts and would want to migrate my services away from them. Spoke to BT to arrange phone and BB (including a Fibre upgrade), and thing appeared to be going well. Got a date for the line activation (17th) and a HH5 through the post and everything.

Now (14th) I get a call from BT saying the order has 'failed' and the activation date has been pushed back nearly 3 weeks (4th Jan) cos the incumbent supplier hasn't/won't released the number/line. Which kinda means [censored]/flakey internet over the holidays, assuming that we actually have any, just in case some jobsworth gets as far as unplugging me before the end of the last shift, on the 24th..

Am I getting all bent out of shape over my inability to understand the process? Do I need to wait for my existing supplier to push a button before BT can do anything? Can I call the incumbent supplier to gee them on a bit or am I wasting breath even talking about it? Is it likely that even if I do this, I'm back at the end of the queue for openreach to send an engineer to the cabinet regardless?

Venting over, beer time..
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Dec-15 23:35:30
Print Post

Re: frustration moving phone and BB back to BT

[re: gilesp] [link to this post]

The issue may be that you told the old firm you wanted to cancel, which may mean that rather than a migration, they are cancelling everything.

Ideally you contact the provider you want to move everything too and then the losing provider gets informed and the full migration process takes effect, i.e. they send you out the 'sorry you are leaving letter' and this gives you 10 days to do nothing or contact old provider to change your mind or stop someone slamming your line

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jroadley
(regular) Tue 15-Dec-15 00:33:50
Print Post

Was in a similar issue a few years ago, ended up getting a second line put in (for free) and using new service on that. We never use our home phone, and family uses our mobiles for calling. Then just got old ISP to cancel the phone/bb.

Is that an option?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gilesp
(regular) Tue 15-Dec-15 06:45:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think I was pretty clear to the incumbent supplier on the phone that I wanted to move services, though I had to use the words cancel as they were trying to tie me into a new 18 month contract at the time. I did also follow up with an email re-affirming my intentions to leave and told them that the new service providers would be notified.

I'm going to try phoning them today, but I'm not sure if it will be any use.
Standard User gilesp
(regular) Tue 15-Dec-15 06:46:35
Print Post

[re: jroadley] [link to this post]

One of the things BT suggested was assigning a temporary phone number - and then moving back to the old number when the incumbent supplier releases it. I agreed at the time, thinking it might keep things moving..
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Dec-15 10:00:41
Print Post

If you use the word cancel, they will cease the line. It is unfortunately the only way to "cancel." This will result in around 4 weeks of issues, as you are experiencing.

You just needed to get a MAC, or even better yet, the new ISP could have just taken over most likely. The old service gets closed down automatically.

Anyway, what is done is done. Easiest way out now in my opinion - get a new line installed by the new ISP (a second line) - BT should be able to do that for free (usually). It'll probably be faster
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Dec-15 10:04:31
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Just to say Macs are no longer required. No contact is necessary with the losing provider any more. The only thing that means they OP may have needed to contact over is it appears the ISP were trying to get them into a new 18 month contract - it sounds like during that conversation the work cancel was used because the ISP were being awkward.
Standard User gilesp
(regular) Tue 15-Dec-15 10:07:27
Print Post

I've just spoken to both the incumbent and the new supplier this morning.

The incumbent supplier is sounding quite helpful, and has confirmed that they have not received an 'unsolicited Cease' instruction from BT. They have supplied an Access line ID number to help clarify matters -they're suggesting BT might be trying to take over the wrong line (say next door or whoever has a similar number).

The BT operator looked at my notes, muttered 'oh my god' and put me on hold. He's since come back to say that their 'offline investigation team' will be looking at the case and getting back to me within 24 hours. He also asserted that a cease order had been sent.

*bangs head against desk*

Might try the second line approach tomorrow when BT get back to me..
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 15-Dec-15 11:08:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
You just needed to get a MAC, or even better yet, the new ISP could have just taken over most likely. The old service gets closed down automatically.
Not only is ian72 correct in saying a MAC isn't needed any more, since 20 June they haven't existed.

All migrations are completely "Gaining Provider Led".

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Dec-15 11:09:45
Print Post

It would be easier if you were to clarify what you mean by incumbent supplier, since things can be more complex sometimes if its Sky or TalkTalk full LLU line and the number was from one of their designated number pools.

Providers can refuse to port numbers, and your use of the phrase cancel may have got them doing just that i.e. user cancelling so throwing number back into their own pool

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to