General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User billd
(newbie) Sun 03-Jan-16 08:12:52
Print Post

Talktalk....Are they the worst on the market

[link to this post]

Hi folks, Long time no post>

On black Friday last year I took up a special offer from TTalk for their simply broadband package. Having had nearly 4 years on BT and Sky with a constant speed of 5-5.5mbps I didn't fall for their estimation off 15.9 max, 11.3 ave, and 6.9 min sync speeds. Been around to long for that, but at the price settled myself I would only get the 5mb I've had for so long.
My go live date was confirmed as the 15th December but was the put back to the 18th (thus giving 2 days of the 20 days from order to cancel).
Now 15 days of the new broadband and I,ve ended up paying for the worst service I,ve ever had. No email working since day 1, constant broadband outages in the early days (solved by bumping SNR up to 12 and reducing the speed to 3mb or less). 4 days to be able to access my account and get calling features to work.(call centre couldn't manage it)
Live chat system appears to hold nobody responsible for things not being done and on the phone you get promises of things being looked at within 24-48hrs (even get text confirmation) but it never happens.
My advice is to stay the hell away from them. I'm for citizens advice tomorrow (4th jan)
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 03-Jan-16 08:25:41
Print Post

Re: Talktalk....Are they the worst on the market

[re: billd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billd:
constant broadband outages in the early days (solved by bumping SNR up to 12
This indicates severe problems with your line. If you don't get it fixed, you wont get good broadband performance.
I think it's either a line fault or poor extension wiring.
Standard User billd
(newbie) Sun 03-Jan-16 08:36:56
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Good Morning,

I,ve had the line replaced just a couple of months ago,router (Bipac 7800N) tested in 3 other houses (2 x adsl2 and 1 fibre) and the one and only socket in the house (adsl V1) replaced. Had no problems at all on BT or Sky. The 5-5.5mbs is about as much as I can expect given my location. I am connected to a fibre ready cabinet but the fibre is slightly slower than adsl2+ due to distance. This problem appears to be at the exchange or congestion. My frustation is that Talktalk don't appear to give a hoot.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 03-Jan-16 09:20:19
Print Post

What estimate does the DSL checker give for your line then? www.dslchecker.bt.com

How come TT estimate 15.9 max but you're nowhere near to it?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Jan-16 10:56:38
Print Post

constant broadband outages in the early days (solved by bumping SNR up to 12 and reducing the speed to 3mb or less)

Does indicate a line issue rather than an ISP issue. Perhaps the Sky Hub / BT HomeHub were better at dealing with an underlying issue. Everything stated here, regarding the speed is pointing at the line.

That said, I doubt talktalk will send out an engineer if it stables off at a 12db noise margin - other ISPs would be more willing.

Seeing line stats would be useful. Line attenuation, sync, and noise margin.

EDIT: a 12db noise margin will slow the speed down, so this is why it's slower. A 12db noise margin should only be applied to a very unstable line (ie line fault).

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 03-Jan-16 10:59:00)

Standard User billd
(newbie) Sun 03-Jan-16 11:07:47
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

FTTC Range A (Clean) 6.3 2.9 1.2 0.8 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 4.9 1.8 1.1 0.5 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 2 to 6 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 3 Up to 0.5 2 to 6 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2.5 -- 1.5 to 5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available

Thank you for your advice. The router hasn't changed though. If I change the SNR on my router I can get the 5mb I had but that was never neccessary with BT and Sky.
Standard User billd
(newbie) Sun 03-Jan-16 11:10:11
Print Post

FTTC Range A (Clean) 6.3 2.9 1.2 0.8 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 4.9 1.8 1.1 0.5 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 2 to 6 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 3 Up to 0.5 2 to 6 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2.5 -- 1.5 to 5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available

I appreciate what you say . I have to be honest and say that I knew myself that would never happen. All I wanted was the speed I already had.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Jan-16 11:15:49
Print Post

Is it stable when you do this though?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 03-Jan-16 11:24:50
Print Post

The 5Mb speed looks reasonable given those estimates, I can't see how TT thought it would be higher.

Isn't getting email working just down to how you configure the email client? Does TalkTalk webmail work ok?
Standard User billd
(newbie) Sun 03-Jan-16 11:40:56
Print Post

No m8. TT webmail is also on the blink. Been reporting it now since 20th December. One nice lady (out off about 7 ) managed to get me access to my email account but could not get it to recieve any mail. I can log in and send but thats it. Tried pop and imap but again nothing. It took 4 days just to get access to my Main Account on TT. The whole switch over has been a disaster. The account was allegedly set up a couple of days after the order was confirmed but never worked. The router they sent me a Dlink gave me nothing but problems on the wireless side,so I went back to my own. (Bipac Billion 7800N) It works fine but I am very reluctant to use it to force a lower SNR.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to