General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User unhappywithsky
(newbie) Thu 26-May-16 09:17:38
Print Post

Warning - moving to Sky, want to keep your landline number?

[link to this post]

I posting a recent experience of moving to Sky Broadband from Talktalk. I feel that misselling took place while the account was opened and promises were made without attention being drawn to caveats in their T&Cs.

I suggested an attractive deal with Sky to my dad as he was looking to upgrade to fibre and his existing contact had expired. He went online to sign up and while doing so received advice from a Sky representative via webchat. The one overriding factor in this was that he definitely wanted to keep his landline number having had it for over 50 years.

As he proceeded, he came up against an issue to do with his address and an associated charge when stating that he was the owner/occupier at the address. He queried the charge and eventually the Sky representative on webchat recommended that he say that he was 'moving to the address' rather than already living there as that would circumvent the charge.

Note that the charge wasn't huge (around £25-30) but it wasn't clear what it was for and the Sky webchat person couldn't explain what it was for. It wasn't a deal breaker so to this point I'm still unsure as to why the Sky rep guided him around it, I can only imagine they felt that business might be lost.

Anyway - once the signing up process was complete, he then ended up speaking to another Sky rep who took him through everything. He highlighted the importance of retaining his number and kept coming back to the incorrect information that he had entered in the application. He was assured that it wasn't a problem, he would be assigned a new number and then the number porting would take place on the day the new service started. (This sounded plausible to me as I have had similar experience with mobile number porting where I was given a temporary new number until my old number was ported within 24hrs of a new service starting).

At no point, while promising he would keep his landline number did the Sky rep indicate that number porting isn't guaranteed (and I believe this is stated in their T&Cs). It is this that in my opinion is misselling as she knew that not retaining the landline number would be a deal breaker.

In the interim he received letters which stated that someone would be moving in which he didn't take a lot of notice of because of the guidance he had received. Lo & behold the new service began on May 25th and he has a new landline number. When he calls Sky to try and discuss he gets a brick wall. The Sky rep (not named here) is supposedly given messages to call him back but nothing. We contact Talktalk to check if the number was released, it had been. Another Sky complaints rep says she doesn't understand why that guidance was given to him and '£30 for his trouble' was offered.

I don't understand the motives for guiding him in this way but I don't believe any effort was ever made to port the number. I think him saying that he was moving address potentially scuppered any chances of the number being ported. I've read that it's cheaper for Sky to just do a new number than to port but that is speculation on my part. I believe Sky were deceitful and made promises while knowing that the number wouldn't be ported, putting new sales ahead of customer needs/wants (I know, hardly a shock).

This could be an isolated case but equally with the nature of call centres with many reps working in close proximity it is also likely that it is not an isolated case and Sky are well aware this is taking place.

Anyway the warning is if your landline number is of utmost importance then ensure you follow correct procedure when making applications to a new ISP and do not be led astray by Sky reps. Keep a record of web chats you may have regarding these issues.

Here is a link to the number porting procedures which were changed June 2015 to stop losing providers not releasing numbers I believe. Click here

The final note is that if this has happened to you the best chance you may have of getting your number back is to go with BT as they are the closest company to BT Openreach who manage the telephone infrastructure. I am not guaranteeing that they can get your number but speak to them to see. My dad has signed up with them and they say it may be possible, I will report back in June when the service has been activated.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 26-May-16 09:47:57
Print Post

Re: Warning - moving to Sky, want to keep your landline numb

[re: unhappywithsky] [link to this post]

AIUI numbers that stop being used, like you father's, don't become available for re-use for a considerable time. I think it used to be six months.

As it must be originally a BT number it must be technically possible therefore for it to be recovered, and as you say, BT is probably the best bet. I doubt if that's to do with closeness to Openreach, as there are Chinese walls created by Ofcom, but they probably have previously-used facilities for number recovery while it is still free.

Let's hope so. Good luck.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59240/14753kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-May-16 10:52:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Number porting is always fun as the losing provider has a part to play and can mess things up.

When numbers are with full LLU it can be more confusing, e.g. some providers say a new number will be needed when migrating to them, but then magically you get to retain the old number usually. Maybe that is a more 'honest' approach, i.e. set people up with idea of not keeping number and surprise them nicely when you can.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-May-16 12:01:34
Print Post

Still amazes me that even in this day and age there's such a problem with transferring landline numbers...

As far as sales reps from ISP's goes, I don't bother with them.... they alway confuse a situation, make the orders/bills make little sense...

In the case of your order I would of never lied to the system and said I was moving house, actually Sky not being able to explain any charge would of ended any intentions of joining.

I've recently (3 days ago) placed an order with Sky for Fibre & calls at a new address, it replaces Virgin Media service that we was going to move to the new address but after there sales dept decided they wanted to make some commision and didn't do a house move but rather a cancel and new customer...

Seems to be a trend with these 'cock-ups' , maybe time for ISP's to start charging its reps a flat rate and not give them bonuses for making sales... it causes to much of an issue.

Virgin was also supposed to be transferring a phone number with a distant past across to the new address but they didn't seem to care or sound very possitive that it would be transferred, specially after we was told the orders and cancellations would need to be cancelled and a new home move action would need to be processed due to the numerous balls ups.

BTInfinity - 69000/20000kbps Formerly 116000/31000 - Quality Monitor - Quality Monitor 2
VirginMedia - 77000/5250kbps - BQM L1 - BQM L2 PENDING CEASE
(newbie) Thu 26-May-16 17:10:18
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Agreed, with hindsight he wouldn't have lied to the system and he accepts that responsibility, we just don't want it to happen to other people. He had been talking to them for over an hour trying to get signed up and Sky advised him that way. When baffled by a system or process the tendency is to go to the provider for the advice. Lesson learnt in the case of ISPs reps.
(newbie) Wed 07-Sep-16 19:16:47
Print Post

Just to finish this thread off for anyone that has had a similar problem. My dad cancelled Sky by moving back to BT with the knowledge (BT were careful not to promise which is fair enough) that BT may be able to get his telephone number back. He did get his number back. After starting the contract with a new number, the old number was reinstated not long after. It may have helped that he had a previous BT account which was reactivated in the process but I just don't know. It did take considerable time on the telephone to all the parties involved.

If this has happened to you then I suggest BT are your best bet although there are no guarantees and he did have to sign up to a pretty non-competitive deal for 12months with their broadband but it was worth it for him to retain the number. I don't often say this (I do work in the audio visual industry so deal with these companies a lot) but "well done BT on this occasion, good service".
  Print Thread

Jump to