General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mikejp
(member) Thu 18-Aug-16 08:41:23
Print Post

Landline move (Utility Warehouse/BT)

[link to this post]

No 2 son gave UW 2 weeks notice asking for his number (and b/band) to move 8 doors down the road. Move not completed until 3 weeks after notice (UW blamed on BT).

Then told he needs to wait another 2 weeks for the b/band connection. (UW blamed on BT)

I only mention UW since the forum requires me to - I suspect they are pretty 'blameless' in these delays.

However, with a forecast b/band installation date of 23/8, a call between us was 'broken' yesterday morning. I then rang his number back several times, getting ringing tone but no answer. He said no phone ringing at his end, but he was able to dial out. 'Satisfactory' resolution yesterday afternoon with divert to his mobile.

However, I am hoping someone can cast some light on what has happened here? It transpires he has a 'new' number - same exchange code but well off the normal number range for the area - they begin with 81, this is 66 - and no-one told him. If I ring that, he answers!

I am assuming that some dull Openreach wallah pulled the wrong lead off? Is this 'new' temp number one that exists in a big box reserved for OR cock-ups?

Edited by mikejp (Thu 18-Aug-16 08:43:03)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Aug-16 11:29:51
Print Post

Re: Landline move (Utility Warehouse/BT)

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

Utlity Warehouse use LLU (mainly TalkTalk) so phone numbers are all down to the LLU operator and not Openreach.

Delays may be Openreach based, but a lot depends on what orders where placed, i.e. if down as two orders by UW or their wholesaler than what you describe timewise is normal. If done as a single order than broadband + phone should be on the same day.

LLU phone number ranges may not line up with historical allocations in an area.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mikejp
(member) Thu 18-Aug-16 11:49:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for that, but the question was "what has happened here"- why was the number changed with no notice?

He tells me that as of 11:30 he is 'back' on the correct number

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 18-Aug-16 11:54:41
Print Post

Possibly because the original line failed, or was replaced for some other reason, as shown by you not being able to ring in on the correct number, and the correct number then had to be ported again onto that line.

You and he picked up on it in the interval between line replacement and number re-porting.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 18-Aug-16 11:57:14)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Aug-16 11:54:59
Print Post

No one here could answer that question with confidence as it could be a number of things and therefore the only people who could answer are the suppliers.
Standard User mikejp
(member) Thu 18-Aug-16 12:13:11
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The failure to communicate the number change is unforgiveable. Why this was not sorted out whenever whatever happened I cannot understand. There should have been an instant 'divert' from old to new and not wait 6 hours until the customer
complains. It appears that incompetence is a standard qualification in British telephony.

In an LLU sitation, who does tne work on a line - OR or TalkTalk?
Standard User panda
(committed) Thu 18-Aug-16 12:30:01
Print Post

My guess is that the line was initially provided with a number from TT's block, then subsequently a Port order was completed to replace it with the correct number.

OR don't manage telephone numbers. They are allocated and managed by the underlying telephony Wholesaler.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Aug-16 18:26:32
Print Post

I am assuming that some dull Openreach wallah pulled the wrong lead off?

Nice attitude.

Openreach can and do many combined installs every day, they fit what the service provider has requested. The delay between the line install and the broadband going live was entirely at U/W's request. The renumber, also at their request.

Dull but at least informed.

Standard User mikejp
(member) Thu 18-Aug-16 19:42:52
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

So - you work for Openreach, I take it.

Sadly Dull it is, informed it isn't. NO request from UW for:-

a) Disconnection
b) A different number to be connected
and
c) You really should read these threads before pontificating. Broadband to be 'live' on 23/8 - in black and white, post 1.

No wonder the wrong bits get pulled! Reminds me of t'other son's telephone problems a few years back, in the Borders. 17 visits to house by ?dull and uninformed?, each confirming the problem was at the exchange. Lo and behold, No 18 went to the exchange and fixed it. Several 'dull wallahs' in that history, wouldn't you say?.

I cannot believe OR would survive in the real world without the BT cushion.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Aug-16 20:37:53
Print Post

Perhaps the answer is to not use Openreach at all

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to