General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User paualb
(newbie) Wed 24-Aug-16 10:28:04
Print Post

PLUSNET/BT are just SO POOR it actually is UNBELIEVABLE

[link to this post]

Well, like most people it takes me a while to get a head of steam up, but it's happened.
Every couple of months for the last 4 or so years My line speeed drops to a crawl - voice is absolutely fine no noise no interuption.
I've done it all, followed Plusnets instruction, put the line into the maintenance socket, switch of the router for an hour, changed the broadband line seperator dongle (several times), had the bt engineer onsite at home who say's there is no wiring problem internally .....on and on it goes. When phoning Plusnet there is a warning that you may have to wait for up to 40 minutes and strangely every time I have called them over the last 4 years or so I have waited for a minimum of that time, even the chat on line (Which is pointless if you can't load the site because it is too slow) takes up to 25 minutes to be connected with someone.

So you have a problem and can't contact them, how utterly [censored] is that - and then when you do (finally) contact them and speak to someone, there is no method by which you can prioritise a call to continue a conversation relating to the fault - oh,no,- back in the queue for 40 minutes you go.
And on this last occasion after 20 minutes waiting to chat, 20 minutes explaining (again) the history of the problem and being directed to the broadband trouble shooter via a link the site is down and over the next hour and a half and 10 or so attempts can't get on there, eventually the page reports a service error (I expect they are trying to contact plusnet internal support and are on the 40 minute wait for the phone to be answered)
And round and round you go, all the while they have no issues debiting your account.

What awards for communication have they won exactly? Is it 'Poorest performer by far' Ist prize, 4th year running.
Is it the 'I can read a script longer than you have patience' award.
Or is it the ultimate award, The "Don't bother, we have your money anyway, we're happy" award
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Aug-16 10:58:44
Print Post

Re: PLUSNET/BT are just SO POOR it actually is UNBELIEVABLE

[re: paualb] [link to this post]

Fairly standard fair for the bargain basement price most of the UK pay for broadband. The margins are pretty slim so support is generally not that high.

There are ISPs that can do much better support like AAISP. But, to get that level of support you need to be willing to pay much more for your broadband - and most people don't want to pay the extra for the better service.

It is also possible that there is a 3rd party somewhere in the area who are periodically firing up something that has large levels of noise generation - that could be what is causing the problems with your line. And if it is then it can be difficult to trace - especially if it is only active for a limited amount of time. Or it could be that water is getting into a joint somewhere - again there could be many joints between you and the cab/exchange and so it can be very difficult to trace. Broadband over copper is a relatively complex service to fault diagnose and so faults can go on for long periods.
Standard User paualb
(newbie) Wed 24-Aug-16 11:22:26
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hi there thanks for the reply.
You know if this was a once or even a twice off occurance I could agree with you. But I'm afraid it is not, This is ongoing for YEARS.
Copper is not a complex medium to analyse- climb pole, measure attenuation - or go to site and last pole, measure attenuation even go pole to pole and measure attenuation/resistance, this is hard work though and whilst everyone likes to take their money, let's keep expectation low. This is not good enough. Down the road from where I live in Herefordshire a BT pole was knocked down by truck, 2 months later it is still on it's side cables all lovely and stretched, getting more stretched with heat and cold variation no doubt. (Open reach pass this road daily, in fact several times daily, so it is highly unlikely that it is not known to BT - The parish council I believe have also told them)
Plusnet IS cheap, but when you live in the country side where the service is rubbish (as this post states) why on earth would I wish to pay for the unobtainable, my speed currently is about 60k at very best 1.9mb normally.
I will be going to another supplier shortly - a proper ISP like UNO or XILO etc. My post is a warning to others,
Hard earned money payed to these jokers is highly likely to be spent on anything other than service(Like smarmy adverts)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User merlin617
(newbie) Wed 24-Aug-16 12:21:43
Print Post

I have had 21/20 mb down and 1.1 up ping of 10 little to no jitter or packet loss for about eight years but recently its been 15mb down 0.7mb up, ping, buffer and packet loss off the chart. They tell it has been escalated but I am still waiting for a definitive reason for this.

E/O line so no fibre possible, I can get Virgin but the contention ratio is extremely high.
Standard User paualb
(newbie) Wed 24-Aug-16 12:40:33
Print Post

[re: merlin617] [link to this post]

Yep, and another soul waits for the 'Experts' to put right a fault that they probable caused.
BT are THE provider of services, no matter who you get your line from (Except if you live in the Metroplitan areas). BT have all the equipment - Data capture, Advanced analysis tools, Advanced signal generators, loggers, Blah, blah blah. Hell, they even design the stuff. But to date the only piece of advanced equipment I've seen being used is me calling (Plusnet)support on the phone, that technological marvel created almost 200 years ago.
Oh, lets not forget Plusnet is BT in everything other than name (certainly service).

Rant complete
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Aug-16 19:22:02
Print Post

So who are you with plusnet or BT?

BT Infinity 2 - 80/20
BT Infinity 2 Speedtest *Smart Hub*
BT Mobile - 4G
BT Mobile 4G Speedtest *Huawei PLK-L01*
Standard User flippery
(experienced) Mon 29-Aug-16 10:45:07
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
So who are you with plusnet or BT?

Read 2nd para of OP first post
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 29-Aug-16 11:07:06
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

[joke]
Third.
[/joke]

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Mon 29-Aug-16 11:22:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by paualb:
Hi there thanks for the reply.
You know if this was a once or even a twice off occurance I could agree with you. But I'm afraid it is not, This is ongoing for YEARS.
Copper is not a complex medium to analyse- climb pole, measure attenuation - or go to site and last pole, measure attenuation even go pole to pole and measure attenuation/resistance, this is hard work though and whilst everyone likes to take their money, let's keep expectation low.

Oh yeah it's that easy.....
It's easy enough to get a measurement on some kind of disconnection fault. As for battery (line in contact with another line) and earth faults (line in contact with earth), absolute nightmare!

Edited by Icaras (Mon 29-Aug-16 11:33:29)

Standard User henryblackman
(newbie) Mon 29-Aug-16 11:40:10
Print Post

Worth a move to AAISP who promise to take on problematic lines?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to