General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sam882
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-16 00:19:46
Print Post

Post Office Broadband (Talk Talk) Speed Throttling

[link to this post]

My sister was on Plus Net, had no problems but thought she could get a better deal, so went to the Post Office (Talk Talk), big mistake that turned out to be, speed is poor at best of times but in the evening they apply 'Traffic Management' to slow the connection to a negligible speed (typically 0.5Mb or less), is this experience what others find too? Is Talk Talk trying to use this method to make people switch to fibre to fix an issue they have created?

My sister wanting to be sure of a ISP that does NOT use 'traffic management' has now gone back to Plus Net and the speed issues are all gone.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Aug-16 09:42:52
Print Post

Re: Post Office Broadband (Talk Talk) Speed Throttling

[re: sam882] [link to this post]

TalkTalk won't be doing to force people to switch to fibre, since Post Office have no fibre speeds.

Post Office is slow because of the service they purchase from TalkTalk which is often very contended or managed at peak times harshly. TalkTalk and others who buy them can offer decent ADSL/ADSL2+ based services.

Or put another way there is a reason a why Post Office is always bottom of the speed test table each month.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-16 09:49:26
Print Post

It is a post office decision of how much bandwidth etc they wish to purchase from TalkTalk. So it is Post Office at fault here.

Had your sister gone direct with TalkTalk she would have likely seen no throttling or slow speeds as TT do not do traffic management what-so-ever.

In future ask the question on here before switching, we usually give good advice smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 26-Aug-16 10:18:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Also I'm not aware of any Post Office exchange restriction to TalkTalk enabled ones. So TalkTalk must be using BT Wholesale there, which is even more likely to suffer this problem.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-16 11:41:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I would assume PO just rent straight from BT wholesale in these areas?
As far as I know TT do not accept any orders on non-LLU exchanges but it could be different for wholesale etc.
BTW I am just guessing here, fairly interested in getting a definite answer.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 26-Aug-16 13:18:16
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I'm fairly sure they completely subcontract the service to a single supplier. TT used to do BT Wholesale connections so may have legacy ones. A single MSIL somewhere would probably cope - or not, which we could be seeing.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Aug-16 13:20:35
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Post Office believe hand over everything to do with the service to TalkTalk i.e. its a white label operation rather than Post Office being a full ISP

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 26-Aug-16 13:21:13
Print Post

Please could you tell us the exchange your sister is on? If you aren't sure, put her postcode into this checker and it will tell you.

In fact posting the link to the result would be ideal, as it's the result we want to see smile. That doesn't reveal the postcode.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 26-Aug-16 13:22:28)

Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Fri 26-Aug-16 13:34:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I was on P.O on a non TT exchange Market 1 (A) with no LLU there. Speeds were appalling, service non- existant. TT must have some form of agreement with OR in these situation or just sub it back out to BT?

Woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-16 14:06:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Post Office believe hand over everything to do with the service to TalkTalk i.e. its a white label operation rather than Post Office being a full ISP

Wow, the Non-LLU areas will be absolutely dire. I have checked an area with no LLU and it proceeded to checkout just fine.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to