General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User m1ssed
(newbie) Sat 03-Sep-16 19:14:32
Print Post

Switched from Sky to BT - gone from great to unuseable

[link to this post]

I've just swapped from Sky fibre Pro (flawless service for 4 years, I add) to find my BT infinity 1 service drops to near ADSL speeds at peak times with latency of over 300ms in most FPS games. It's completely unusable! During the day it's absolutely fine so I'm guessing it's congestion at the exchange? I've moaned on the forum and complained to their tech support who are now 'monitoring' the situation. Is there anything else I can do, or should i buy my way out of the contract early because I can't not have fast broadband in the evenings. Come back Sky all is forgiven frown

so angry right now frown
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 03-Sep-16 19:29:28
Print Post

Re: Switched from Sky to BT - gone from great to unuseable

[re: m1ssed] [link to this post]

Why did you move?
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 04-Sep-16 23:20:54
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

the sad thing is he cannot move back now as pro is gone.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Sep-16 07:15:01
Print Post

BT should let you leave the contract freely if you complain.

Just to check what speed are you syncing at when you have these issues and are you using Ethernet?

Edit: the general good news with BT is that congestion does get fixed almost always, it just takes time, usually around 3 months based on other cases.

It does seem strange for a fibre connection with BT to have congestion, I do not know if you're aware of this, but the fibre cabinet does not go back to your local telephone exchange on fibre. It goes back to a master exchange which will serve multiple telephone exchanges. Hence congestion if it exists will affect usually many thousands of users at once. This is why we don't usually see it on fibre services. If you PM me I can give you an email of the Newcastle based support team who are the best you'll get in BT.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 05-Sep-16 07:24:59)

Standard User m1ssed
(newbie) Mon 05-Sep-16 11:18:44
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

So running the BT wholesale speed tests I'm getting the following:

Max achievable line d/l speed of 53.23Mbps and u/l of 10Mbps

Off peak

Iam getting a d/l of 51.3Mbps and u/l of 8.93

Peak times

6.24Mbps d/l and 8.43 u/l If i'm lucky..... not to mention the horrendous ping fluctuations in online gaming etc. I've seen it drop to 3Mbps

Never had this problem on Sky, it was always fast and consistently a good service. I swapped as thought I could get a similar service for lower cost......
Standard User 23Prince
(learned) Mon 05-Sep-16 11:20:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by m1ssed:
I've just swapped from Sky fibre Pro (flawless service for 4 years, I add) to find my BT infinity 1 service drops to near ADSL speeds at peak times with latency of over 300ms in most FPS games. It's completely unusable! During the day it's absolutely fine so I'm guessing it's congestion at the exchange? I've moaned on the forum and complained to their tech support who are now 'monitoring' the situation. Is there anything else I can do, or should i buy my way out of the contract early because I can't not have fast broadband in the evenings. Come back Sky all is forgiven frown

so angry right now frown

I feel your pain friend, This is my infinity 2 late at night.

https://s10.postimg.org/4n6vnypk9/Screen_Shot_2016_0...
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Sep-16 13:29:55
Print Post

Can you run a speedtest over here on Thinkbroadband at peak hours. Just hit speedtest down the side.

I want to see the result like this (one I did the other day):

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

On my speedtest you will see the yellow and green lines are very similar. This indicates no congestion...

Basically a multi threaded download (the yellow line) somewhat hides congestion, so by running both a mutli and single threaded speedtest and plotting a graph, you can easily detect congestion.

As an example, this ones a clear case of ISP congestion (Not mine):
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14673...

See the yellow line is getting 71Mbps (indicating line is syncing at full 80Mbps) but the single threaded falls to a miserable 16.4Mbps. Here the gap between the green and yellow lines shows us clear congestion. I am expecting yours to look like this, but if not, it is probably something else at play.
Standard User Skilty
(committed) Mon 05-Sep-16 16:09:10
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
the sad thing is he cannot move back now as pro is gone.

Aye, waiting to see reports of Sky Fibre Max. No static IP or dedicated support but for just over £30 a month (with curent offers) it is good value.

plusnet Fibre > Sky Fibre Pro > Pulse8 Fibre XL - 14ms Ping, Sync ~ 65.78/18.73Mbps - BQM
Standard User m1ssed
(newbie) Mon 05-Sep-16 20:03:17
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

taken close to 8pm

Router uptime is solid at 5 days since last restart 55/9.99
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Sep-16 20:14:27
Print Post

Weird that's not suggesting typical congestion.

Are you using a wired Ethernet cable when testing and have wireless fully disabled?

Do you have a BT smart hub or a homehub 5?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to