General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Dec-16 13:17:26
Print Post

Re: Virgin

[re: Pureedfruit] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pureedfruit:
and make the point that gaining 4,000 new customers but losing 1,000 existing customers will not do their cash flow (a key financial) any good what so ever.

So a net gain of 3000 customers is going to hit the cash flow?????

So just how do you work this out?

To me 3000 extra customers = a lot more profit.

Companies like this always have a high turnover of customers. All that matters to the bean counters is that customer base increases and profits rise.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Dec-16 17:16:24
Print Post

[re: Pureedfruit] [link to this post]

VM are perfectly aware of the issues, and in some cases it's down to simple physics and money isn't really the issue.

Unless of course you can work out how to place more equipment into a site than its racks will hold, or how to ensure it can cool more equipment than the HVAC can serve.

Extending buildings, collapsing down hardware and upgrading cooling aren't simple, two of the three require planning permission.

There is another issue with regards to network rebuilds being needed, which are being done.

Project Lightning is pretty much irrelevant to this. The people digging the streets aren't the people who would be upgrading the HVAC, extending buildings, collapsing down racks or improving power supplies. Network rebuilds have to be done a bit at a time for risk of triggering a ton of faults. Even if there were unlimited funds there simply isn't the manpower to do all the work - BT can attest to that.

Appreciate it's frustrating and in a number of cases there should've been more forward planning but it's really not as simple as throwing money at the problem.

Regarding the numbers you quote, Project Lightning is planned to pass 4 million premises, it won't result in 4 million new customers unless every property signs up. VM do not have 7 million households as customers.

I don't recognise your £0.5 billion number for upgrading the existing premises passed, however it would be enough for a full DOCSIS 3.1 upgrade and a gigabit throughout. The upgrade 'budget' isn't a single budget. There is more than one upgrade train. One is the HVAC, etc, upgrades I referred to. The overbuild to upgrade local networks is another. Node splits, reducing the number of customer sharing bandwidth are another, the line cards customers connect to are another.

There is no way to upgrade local networks without causing outages. The equipment receives its power supply through the coaxial network, so can't simply be switched in, there is no re-routing path. You should have received a card through your door indicating there would be an outage if it was of all services - they messed up.

What can one do about it? Go elsewhere. It's always resolved my service issues both with VM and others.
Standard User Spookyville
(newbie) Fri 13-Jan-17 13:46:27
Print Post

[re: foxuk] [link to this post]

We are on the 200mb package but since April 2016 have been getting a fraction of that at peak times, usually around 2mb. Has dropped as low as 0.2 on occasions. Either way its virtually unusable all weekend and every weeknight.
Its due to being in an oversubscribed area (where they continue to sign people up) and the "fix" date has been continually put back with the latest date now April 2017. That will be a year by that time.Getting harder to hide the frustration with them!!

We do get a credit back each month for the inconvenience but I'd rather have the service I am paying for!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 13-Jan-17 14:05:51
Print Post

[re: Spookyville] [link to this post]

Would the credit back be enough to afford a backup DSL connection?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Jan-17 16:21:09
Print Post

[re: Spookyville] [link to this post]

Will they let you leave, they did me almost immediately?

Best decision I've made in a while smile
Standard User Skorpgem
(newbie) Sat 14-Jan-17 18:27:20
Print Post

[re: foxuk] [link to this post]

No you're not wrong. Virgin services are terrible and been ongoing for almost a year. I pay for the 150mb and would be lcky to get 1MB download.
Have complained several times to no avail only to be told there is over-capacity in my area and yet still more users are being put on.
A capacity upgrade was supposed to happen and finish in December but you guessed in it never happened now been told April yet no announcements or information to customers.

VirginMedia services are the worst I have experienced yet and despite not getting the service paid for you can't get out of the contract. Now I have to pay for infinity as well
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 14-Jan-17 21:01:03
Print Post

[re: Skorpgem] [link to this post]

You should get a discount. And dont worry they put their prices up about 3 times a year - each time you get a chance to leave without penalty. Must be one soon.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to