General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 20:36:56
Print Post

Re: Moved from Plusnet to Zen and lost ~10Mb off my max rate

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
Zen's GEA routeing, routes everything via london instead of manchester, Which is fine if you live in or near the place, but when you live up north it makes no sense especially when they have peering ect at manchester but don't use it on their GEA, So pings to some locations have increased as a result of this there is also the single- low throughput threaded issue that is/has affected lots of customers who are routed through london
I don't believe that is true. Zen's "own network" used to use gateways in London and Manchester, the same as for those connecting over BT Wholesale, and I believe this is still the case. If both London and Manchester are still being used, the gateway to which traffic is routed from a location depends on network considerations (including, I guess, topology and link loading) rather than geographic ones. I live around 40 miles north of London. When I first moved to Zen FTTC, I was on the London gateways over BT Wholesale. When I moved to their own network, I was on the Manchester gateways for almost a year, then I moved to the London gateways.

The single thread performance issues on Zen's "own network" often turns out to be a backhaul configuration issue. Anyone affected should make contact with Zen via PM (see this post for details). The fix implemented after I made contact has solved single thread performance issues for me.

Zen are not perfect; no ISP is. The single thread performance issue have taken rather longer to address that is ideal, but it seems they are getting somewhere with many of the affected lines. It is important those affected make contact as requested in the post I linked to, otherwise they might have no idea about your problem.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 20:51:02
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
Zen's GEA routeing, routes everything via london instead of manchester, Which is fine if you live in or near the place, but when you live up north it makes no sense especially when they have peering ect at manchester but don't use it on their GEA, So pings to some locations have increased as a result of this there is also the single- low throughput threaded issue that is/has affected lots of customers who are routed through london
I don't believe that is true. Zen's "own network" used to use gateways in London and Manchester, the same as for those connecting over BT Wholesale, and I believe this is still the case. If both London and Manchester are still being used, the gateway to which traffic is routed from a location depends on network considerations (including, I guess, topology and link loading) rather than geographic ones. I live around 40 miles north of London. When I first moved to Zen FTTC, I was on the London gateways over BT Wholesale. When I moved to their own network, I was on the Manchester gateways for almost a year, then I moved to the London gateways.

The single thread performance issues on Zen's "own network" often turns out to be a backhaul configuration issue. Anyone affected should make contact with Zen via PM (see this post for details). The fix implemented after I made contact has solved single thread performance issues for me.

Zen are not perfect; no ISP is. The single thread performance issue have taken rather longer to address that is ideal, but it seems they are getting somewhere with many of the affected lines. It is important those affected make contact as requested in the post I linked to, otherwise they might have no idea about your problem.
Well it's what they have told me, that the GEA cable link at my exchange routes all traffic to London, when i was on BT wholesale i got routed to manchester,

And yes i too have heard or read forum posts in the past where people who live in the same part of the uk as me get routed via manchester on their GEA , so what has changed i doesn't know,

As for the single thread issue the isp rep who posted on here knows all about it, and said some time ago last week he would look in to it, but so far no changes I was actually looking forwards to the migration from BTW , No BTW IP profile slowing down my throughput and the possibility of seeing lower latency too , but those hopes were shattered i have lost some sync due to a line fault that impacts the bb ie phone rings and there is a burst of FEC and error seconds on the upstream due to the voltage increase not the connected phone, as i can do the same with no phone in the socket, zen so far seem reluctant to investigate, wanting me to swap modems before they will proceed , and unable to run a cidt test because of the migration order lol
So not exactly helpful

A different tech support member has said that zen are migrating the circuit back to BTW and the order is progress , funny it isn't showing on the BT checker as a pending cease or in the zen portal

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 24-Nov-16 21:01:36)

Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 21:02:55
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Well it's what they have told me, that the GEA cable link at my exchange routes all traffic to London, when i was on BT wholesale i got routed to manchester, And yes i have heard or thread forum posts in the past where people who live in the same part of the uk as me get routed via manchester on their GEA , so what has changed i doesn't know,
We were at crossed purposes. I took your earlier post as saying that Zen "own network" has stopped using gateways in Manchester and only uses the London gateways. What you were actually saying is that the Zen network routes traffic from your FTTC handover point through the London gateways.

What has changed compared to BT Wholesale is that you are using a different backhaul network. The best routing from a network perspective is not necessarily the shortest geographic route. For a while, I was in the opposite situation to you: I'm closer to London but my traffic went via Manchester. Only Zen will know why the chosen routing is in use and whether there is any scope to use an alternative routing.

As for the single thread issue the isp rep who posted on here knows all about it, and said some time ago last week he would look in to it, but so far no changes

A different tech support member has said that zen are migrating the circuit back to BTW and the order is progress , funny it isn't showing on the BT checker as a pending cease or in the zen portal
I expected you would be working with Zen already. The reference to that thread was for anyone else affected by single thread performance issues who had stayed quiet and was hoping that their issue would automatically get fixed in due course.

As I understand it (which might be wrong!), there are a lot of exchanges potentially affected. At the very least, making contact with Zen as requested lets Zen know an exchange is definitely affected and that there is someone to contact if they want more speed tests run. This, in turn, might move the customer's exchange up the list of exchanges to be fixed.

When I contacted Jon, he confirmed my exchange was potentially affected and let me know that the network engineers were going to make a configuration change. After that change was made, he made contact again and I was pleased to confirm my single thread speed test results had gone from ~25Mbit/s to ~74Mbit/s.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 21:06:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by David_W:
Well it's what they have told me, that the GEA cable link at my exchange routes all traffic to London, when i was on BT wholesale i got routed to manchester, And yes i have heard or thread forum posts in the past where people who live in the same part of the uk as me get routed via manchester on their GEA , so what has changed i doesn't know,
We were at crossed purposes. I took your earlier post as saying that Zen "own network" has stopped using gateways in Manchester and only uses the London gateways. What you were actually saying is that the Zen network routes traffic from your FTTC handover point through the London gateways.

What has changed compared to BT Wholesale is that you are using a different backhaul network. The best routing from a network perspective is not necessarily the shortest geographic route. For a while, I was in the opposite situation to you: I'm closer to London but my traffic went via Manchester. Only Zen will know why the chosen routing is in use and whether there is any scope to use an alternative routing.

As for the single thread issue the isp rep who posted on here knows all about it, and said some time ago last week he would look in to it, but so far no changes

I expected you would be working with Zen already. The reference to that thread was for anyone else affected by single thread performance issues who had stayed quiet and was hoping that their issue would automatically get fixed in due course.

As I understand it (which might be wrong!), there are a lot of exchanges potentially affected. At the very least, making contact with Zen as requested lets Zen know an exchange is definitely affected and that there is someone to contact if they want more speed tests run. This, in turn, might move the customer's exchange up the list of exchanges to be fixed.

When I contacted Jon, he confirmed my exchange was potentially affected and let me know that the network engineers were going to make a configuration change. After that change was made, he made contact again and I was pleased to confirm my single thread speed test results had gone from ~25Mbit/s to ~74Mbit/s.
Single thread affects many who route through london gateways on zens llu/gea doesn't affect BTW customers in the same ways, but recent changes that zen did make ,cause or may be the underlying cause for a small increase in latency to locations going via london such as tbbqm

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 24-Nov-16 23:08:49)

Standard User Cruncher
(member) Fri 25-Nov-16 11:48:39
Print Post

Just caught up on this thread, Anyone care to give me a layman's version of the last bunch of posts??

Do I qualify as having this single thread issue?
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Anyway in short Zen say they can't do anything as the speed is within acceptable range etc. So I'm stuck with it. Blame the copper line I guess.

Asus RT-N66U with Merlin FW - Unlimited Zen Fibre 2 - 80/20 Max Sync, 150m from the cab - My BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 25-Nov-16 12:13:48
Print Post

[re: Cruncher] [link to this post]

Yes it qualifies.

If first-line on the phone are giving you the push-off, raise a ticket with a link to that post about contacting them. (The remote post, not the one in this thread).

A better idea. Do as the Zen rep jongreen84 suggests in this thread, which is all about the problem. If that fails, PM him here with a link to this thread of yours.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/14463kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 25-Nov-16 12:20:30)

Standard User Cruncher
(member) Fri 25-Nov-16 15:24:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Rob, will do.

Out of interest, and not just RobertoS but anyone reading this, what would you do if you were me.

TL;DR I move from Plusnet to Zen, instantly loosing 7Mb on my max rate (from ~77000 to ~70000), I used to download at 74Mb then for some reason it dropped to 70 with PN - I thought it was PN's network given the issues they have had recently and decided to jump ship. Now I've connected to Zen its down to around the 66Mb. - They have basically said tough [censored].

The 14 days cooling off period starts on the day you order the service which means the same 14 days it takes to activate Ergo once the service is live its too late.

That to me is BS.

Do I have any recourse? I know its still within the remit of 59Mb, so does that mean I need to lump it? Given that I know it should be and can be faster?

EDIT, I still can't run the further diagnostics on the BTW site to find out my IP profile either, just says contact your ISP if this problem persists.

:|

Asus RT-N66U with Merlin FW - Unlimited Zen Fibre 2 - 80/20 Max Sync, 150m from the cab - My BQM

Edited by Cruncher (Fri 25-Nov-16 15:25:53)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 25-Nov-16 17:17:28
Print Post

You probably moved out of the IP Profile regime when they moved you to the Zen backhaul from the exchange. So the BT Wholesale tester won't let you continue to that page.

IP Profile (as we normally understand it here) is purely a BT Wholesale feature.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/14463kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 25-Nov-16 17:26:15)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 25-Nov-16 22:51:57
Print Post

What would I do? I'd wait until G.INP is re-enabled and then see how the landscape looks.

If you move back to Plusnet, that will not bring back G.INP any quicker.

You're disappointed with your download speeds? Are you sure it's affecting you in any way at all? Anyway, you seem to have been advised how to get the the single thread download issue resolved.

However, you're paying the bill and it's up to you to decide. You know why you moved to Zen.

You could try looking up Buyers Remorse https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buyer's_remorse
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Nov-16 09:14:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by Cruncher:
Out of interest, and not just RobertoS but anyone reading this, what would you do if you were me.

Not worry about it and get on with doing what you do via the internet.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to