General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Cruncher
(member) Mon 28-Nov-16 16:08:40
Print Post

Re: Moved from Plusnet to Zen and lost ~10Mb off my max rate

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
True. So the Subject is wrong - as the Max Rate is only down 7Mbps from those stats.
Well as its sitting at 68Mbps at the moment its more like 9. My bad on the subject line. I guess I kind of rounded it off a bit.

In reply to a post by broadband66:
I thought that 4K required 25mbps so you can have 2 x 4K streams.
25Mbps is the minimum.

"We recommend an Internet connection speed of at least 25 megabits per second to stream Ultra HD titles."
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

Anyway, I guess ts still better than a lot of people and for that I should be grateful, and it is stable which is better than it dropping out every 5 mins I guess... so I will wait and see what this burst speed fix is, as well as G.INP.

Is there any way I can 'test' my own phone line? Aside from the 17070 option 2 and an AM radio for REIN. I'm trying to rule out all the possibilities.

Asus RT-N66U with Merlin FW - Unlimited Zen Fibre 2 - 80/20 Max Sync, 150m from the cab - My BQM
Standard User Cruncher
(member) Mon 28-Nov-16 20:24:26
Print Post

[re: Cruncher] [link to this post]

So they put me on a new VLAN (I think thats what they said they were doing, I was at work and doing several things at once when they called) Apparently the one I was on was congested.

Overall speed hasn't improved sadly but burst is fixed.

The result:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Asus RT-N66U with Merlin FW - Unlimited Zen Fibre 2 - 80/20 Max Sync, 150m from the cab - My BQM
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Nov-16 15:29:34
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mixt:
I have noticed that any product reset/move between ISPs causes G.INP to be disabled on the line, temporarily, because DLM will be re-training. This will reduce your highest attainable sync rate slightly. Give it a few days (maybe a couple of weeks), this should be re-enabled, at which point your sync will jump back up.

ADSL training starts with a low speed and then increases. FTTC works in the opposite direction, ie starts fast and slows down. That has been my experience.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 29-Nov-16 16:30:24
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
ADSL training starts with a low speed and then increases.
On Sky. On most others it opens unrestricted except by attenuation and noise, or the product cap if lower than the possible sync.

Your description cannot be right on BT Wholesale circuits, as the infamous 10-day training does not directly affect the line itself. It merely records the lowest sync in those ten days and sets the Maximum Stable Rate (MSR) to that.

It then calculates and sets a Fault Threshold Rate at 80% (or historically probably 70%) of MSR. If your sync stays normally above the FTR then the chances of BTW accepting a fault report from your ISP are low.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15329kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Cruncher
(member) Wed 30-Nov-16 11:41:37
Print Post

Jumped up to 70Mbps overnight. Pings has doubled according to TBB, though Speedtest.net still showing it at 9ms.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Interleaving?

Edit 2: No difference in my BQM though. maybe its just that test.

Edit: Also, I've decided I want to unlock my HG612, I want to see the stats etc. Might do it this weekend. Or should I just leave it alone and let it do its thing?

I've been reading around on the Kitz site, but just wondering, I take it unlocking it doesn't have any negative impact does it?

Thanks. smile

Edited by Cruncher (Wed 30-Nov-16 11:53:17)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 30-Nov-16 11:52:27
Print Post

No negative impact at all. As long as you get the 30SP08. I recommend the option with the GUI unlocked as well, as there are a couple of things done easily there that are complex through telnet. The 28SP10 is earlier not later, as the SP number is within the 30/28 main version number.

The GUI line stats (power/attn/SNRM) are screwed up on the display though - use telnet for them. The sync and attainable in the GUI are fine.

Telnet also shows you if G.INP is on or not.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15393kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Cruncher
(member) Wed 30-Nov-16 12:01:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yeah will be grabbing the latest FW.

I recommend the option with the GUI unlocked as well,
I'm probably being thick, but what do you mean by this?

I'm looking to use HG612 Modem Stats by Bald Eagle. Is that the best option? Then https://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk/

Sound good?

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 30-Nov-16 12:16:52
Print Post

In the repository cited in this post http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14262.0 I would click on the folder B030SP08 and use the fw ending in _webgui

For stats gathering I use DSLstats by Roseway as this simply runs as a windows application, produces graphs and uploads to https://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk/ . It can also run on a Raspberry Pi.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 30-Nov-16 12:38:25
Print Post

See BatBoy's link, and the 30SP08 options listed.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15393kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Cruncher
(member) Wed 30-Nov-16 12:41:45
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Ah got ya, will do. I haven't got as far as downloading anything yet. Ta! smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to