General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Cruncher
(member) Thu 24-Nov-16 10:40:44
Print Post

Moved from Plusnet to Zen and lost ~10Mb off my max rate.

[link to this post]

So I switched from Plusnet to Zen yesterday and lost a lot off my sync and download rates.

Long story short despite syncing at full speed with PN I was only getting around 68Mb down rather than the 75Mb I should be. (max rate of 77Mb) and assumed it was them having the issues given the recent goings on with them of late.

I'm a bit miffed as I've always been at full sync, with a line length of ~150m. frown

Do these stat from the router tell you anything? Before the switch my sync with Plusnet was ~75000 and the max rate was ~77000. My upload has not changed at all.

Text
Line Status:  Connected
DSL Modulation Type:  VDSL2Annex Type:  Annex A
                       Upstream  Downstream
Current Rate(kbps)      19999   70338Max Rate(kbps)          28030   70342
SNR Margin(dB)          15.4    6.2Line Attenuation(dB)    10.9    6.3
Errors(pkts)            220     461

Could it be something as simple as crosstalk? Or maybe REIN? It just seems odd that al that has changed is the username and password from the ISP to connect to the new service.

I can't do a test on the BTW site to check my IP Profile as it just say this:

"The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."

I've raised this with Zen.

Any thoughts and advice would be great as I'm not as clued up on all this as you guys surely will be. smile

Ta!

Asus RT-N66U with Merlin FW - FTTC Plusnet Unlimited Fibre - 80/20 Max Sync, 150m from the cab - My BQM
Standard User Cruncher
(member) Thu 24-Nov-16 10:44:35
Print Post

Re: Moved from Plusnet to Zen and lost ~10Mb off my max rate

[re: Cruncher] [link to this post]

Interestingly I seem to be getting way more packetloss from Zen than PN according to my BQM. Could this be a clue?

PN:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/ba92d94f8a4...

Zen:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/b9b5bbe7196...

Asus RT-N66U with Merlin FW - FTTC Plusnet Unlimited Fibre - 80/20 Max Sync, 150m from the cab - My BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Nov-16 11:55:31
Print Post

Have you also moved your line rental to Zen?

If so, does this checker still recognise your phone number?

Which exchange are you on please?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/14463kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Cruncher
(member) Thu 24-Nov-16 12:04:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No, line rental was and is with BT.

Yes it does:

Text
VDSL Range A (Clean)    80      72.4    20      20
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80      59.3    20      18.2

Edited by Cruncher (Thu 24-Nov-16 13:43:27)

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Nov-16 12:07:26
Print Post

I have noticed that any product reset/move between ISPs causes G.INP to be disabled on the line, temporarily, because DLM will be re-training. This will reduce your highest attainable sync rate slightly. Give it a few days (maybe a couple of weeks), this should be re-enabled, at which point your sync will jump back up.

IDNet Fibre Unlimited 55/10 with Native IPv6
Automated Hourly HTTP×6 TBB Speed Tests (3×IPv4+3×IPv6)
Previous ISPs » Zen (40/10 FTTC) | aaisp.net (40/10 FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being bløcked?

Edited by mixt (Thu 24-Nov-16 12:08:36)

Standard User Cruncher
(member) Thu 24-Nov-16 12:16:55
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Is that right? As I had someone from Zen yesterday say 'there is no 10 day training on fibre', then today the chap I spoke to said there was. So I don't know what to believe anymore lol.

Asus RT-N66U with Merlin FW - Unlimited Zen Fibre 2 - 80/20 Max Sync, 150m from the cab - My BQM
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Thu 24-Nov-16 12:17:50
Print Post

I would have expected higher going by your line attenuation.

Here's mine on PlusNet for comparison

6. Data rate: 19999 / 79903
7. Maximum data rate:31744 / 95177
8. Noise margin:14.9 / 10.1
9. Line attenuation:11.5 / 11.5
10. Signal attenuation:11.4 / 11.5
Standard User Cruncher
(member) Thu 24-Nov-16 12:18:43
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

Whats your line length out of interest? smile

EDIT:

I've just check again, here are my stats now:

Text
Line Status:  Connected
DSL Modulation Type:  VDSL2Annex Type:  Annex A
 Upstream        Downstream
Current Rate(kbps)      19999   68487Max Rate(kbps)          29327   71136
SNR Margin(dB)          16.4    6.7Line Attenuation(dB)    11      6.6
Errors(pkts)            556     21414

Those errors look bad?

Asus RT-N66U with Merlin FW - Unlimited Zen Fibre 2 - 80/20 Max Sync, 150m from the cab - My BQM

Edited by Cruncher (Thu 24-Nov-16 12:26:24)

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Nov-16 12:22:09
Print Post

This is what I have observed, having gone through 2 ISP moves and 1 product move (a downgrade, whilst with Zen - 80/20 -> 40/10, a year and half ago). Also, you are currently at 6 dB SNR. This is the lowest value the DLM will set your line at currently, but as has already mentioned in other posts, this figure will be lowering to 5, 4 and 3 dB values in March next year, automatically determined by the DLM, depending on how stable your line is.

But for now, I reckon @ 6 dB SNR, once G.INP is back on, you will regain the 10 Mb you've lost (G.INP allows for a higher sync rate with the same SNR margin).

IDNet Fibre Unlimited 55/10 with Native IPv6
Automated Hourly HTTP×6 TBB Speed Tests (3×IPv4+3×IPv6)
Previous ISPs » Zen (40/10 FTTC) | aaisp.net (40/10 FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being bløcked?

Edited by mixt (Thu 24-Nov-16 12:24:05)

Standard User IanBB
(committed) Thu 24-Nov-16 13:14:43
Print Post

I don't know the line length but the cabinet is only 175m away (as the crow flies) with a block of flats between me and it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Nov-16 13:42:12
Print Post

There is no 10-day training wrt the actual DLM settings, but the way I read what BT Wholesale say is that they still set the MSR and FTR after ten days. Rather irrelevant figures these days.

The point about G.INP possibly having been on previously and now dropped makes sense, I've seen it reported before and later reinstated automatically. Though when I moved from Plusnet to AAISP I don't think it happened. Perhaps it's to do with the new ISP requesting a reset and not all do.

Which brings me back to my other question, the exchange please? If Zen are showing as LLU that could explain the G.INP as you will have moved off BT Wholesale backhaul. Hence perhaps no IP Profile - that's a wayout guess, but if the exchange has Zen LLU ask them if you expect to be able to retrieve your IP Profile from the BTW speed tester.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 24-Nov-16 13:46:41)

Standard User Cruncher
(member) Thu 24-Nov-16 14:09:00
Print Post

How can you tell if G.INP is active on your line? if at all?

Edited by Cruncher (Thu 24-Nov-16 14:12:33)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 24-Nov-16 14:55:29
Print Post

He already said High Wycombe which is Huawei only.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Nov-16 15:45:26
Print Post

It only gets applied if interleaving has been. It reduces the interleaving depth to 8 or 16, and removes the latency 8ms addition that comes with standard interleaving.

Ways of detecting. If you have full stats as per the unlocked HG612 then the presence of Bearer 1 is definitive.

Max: Upstream rate = 14664 Kbps, Downstream rate = 59540 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 14548 Kbps, Downstream rate = 60000 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps

That is "present". The 0Kbps is because the bandwidth allocation is 200bps, rounded giving 0Kbps. The detailed stats also have entries for Bearer 1.

If your stats don't show Bearer 1 then the latency depth is a good clue. I haven't seen any with standard interleaving having depth less than a few hundred.

Depth 1 1 is of course Fast Path.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Nov-16 15:48:33
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Where?

It's the backhaul from the exchange I'm after anyway smile. Not the cabinet. AIUI Zen LLU "isn't", it is where they pull the backhaul off to their own POP in the area. I was wondering if that triggers a DLM reset.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 24-Nov-16 16:35:18
Print Post

Must have been edited out. Forget I mentioned it.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 16:49:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Where?

It's the backhaul from the exchange I'm after anyway smile. Not the cabinet. AIUI Zen LLU "isn't", it is where they pull the backhaul off to their own POP in the area. I was wondering if that triggers a DLM reset.

They recently migrated my service over onto their LLU as they recently installed the GEA cable links at my exchange apparently, this caused a reset due to the migration between BT WMBC & GEA The only reason for this that i can think of is the dlm stability options , they would have to be set once the circuit was migrated which would initiate a resync /reset of dlm , I too lost G.inp for 5 -6 days and i'm still syncing at 3mbps lower than i did before , Initially i was on fastpath and getting bursts of errors ending up at around 2500 in nearley every 24 hr period

Zen's GEA routeing, routes everything via london instead of manchester, Which is fine if you live in or near the place, but when you live up north it makes no sense especially when they have peering ect at manchester but don't use it on their GEA, So pings to some locations have increased as a result of this there is also the single- low throughput threaded issue that is/has affected lots of customers who are routed through london

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 24-Nov-16 16:53:09)

Standard User Cruncher
(member) Thu 24-Nov-16 16:56:14
Print Post

Yeah my bad I edited it out, thought you'd seen it. Sorry.

I'm starting to wonder if there might be an issue with my line, twice today its resynced of its own accord and there was some major noise a few times too I've been told.

That would be backed up by Plusnet saying there is/was an intermittent fault on the line. - "An Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network"

Joy....

Edited by Cruncher (Thu 24-Nov-16 16:57:02)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 24-Nov-16 17:00:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by Cruncher:
That would be backed up by Plusnet saying there is/was an intermittent fault on the line. - "An Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network"
That's the sort of fault that G.INP will deal with wink
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 24-Nov-16 17:26:26
Print Post

Tis OK, now I know it is correct smile.

The exchange is Zen LLU. Assuming it is the fibre headend. Add tommy's post about Zen GEA and looks like this is the OP's problem.

Another nail in my mentally held coffin for Zen. I ruled them out for myself and stopped recommending them well over a year ago, if not two years ago. Mainly because I got the impression from several Zen users' posts of when they had problems and Openreach or BTW said "nothing the matter", Zen CS just relayed that back to the users. It was obvious from what they users posted here that there were serious issues with their broadband.

Worth noting that professor973 has had a line problem including the low single stream one for a long time, and including on TT Business (Pulse8). On my advice moved to AAISP Home::1 and found the same there on day 1. Reported it day 1 or 2. OR fixed it at his cabinet the following day.

Still only a few days in so watching ....

(Home::1 & SOHO::1 allowances all increase by 50GB on 1 December. See their forum here if anyone interested in more detail).

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 24-Nov-16 17:28:50)

Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 20:36:56
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
Zen's GEA routeing, routes everything via london instead of manchester, Which is fine if you live in or near the place, but when you live up north it makes no sense especially when they have peering ect at manchester but don't use it on their GEA, So pings to some locations have increased as a result of this there is also the single- low throughput threaded issue that is/has affected lots of customers who are routed through london
I don't believe that is true. Zen's "own network" used to use gateways in London and Manchester, the same as for those connecting over BT Wholesale, and I believe this is still the case. If both London and Manchester are still being used, the gateway to which traffic is routed from a location depends on network considerations (including, I guess, topology and link loading) rather than geographic ones. I live around 40 miles north of London. When I first moved to Zen FTTC, I was on the London gateways over BT Wholesale. When I moved to their own network, I was on the Manchester gateways for almost a year, then I moved to the London gateways.

The single thread performance issues on Zen's "own network" often turns out to be a backhaul configuration issue. Anyone affected should make contact with Zen via PM (see this post for details). The fix implemented after I made contact has solved single thread performance issues for me.

Zen are not perfect; no ISP is. The single thread performance issue have taken rather longer to address that is ideal, but it seems they are getting somewhere with many of the affected lines. It is important those affected make contact as requested in the post I linked to, otherwise they might have no idea about your problem.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 20:51:02
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
I don't believe that is true. Zen's "own network" used to use gateways in London and Manchester, the same as for those connecting over BT Wholesale, and I believe this is still the case. If both London and Manchester are still being used, the gateway to which traffic is routed from a location depends on network considerations (including, I guess, topology and link loading) rather than geographic ones. I live around 40 miles north of London. When I first moved to Zen FTTC, I was on the London gateways over BT Wholesale. When I moved to their own network, I was on the Manchester gateways for almost a year, then I moved to the London gateways.

The single thread performance issues on Zen's "own network" often turns out to be a backhaul configuration issue. Anyone affected should make contact with Zen via PM (see this post for details). The fix implemented after I made contact has solved single thread performance issues for me.

Zen are not perfect; no ISP is. The single thread performance issue have taken rather longer to address that is ideal, but it seems they are getting somewhere with many of the affected lines. It is important those affected make contact as requested in the post I linked to, otherwise they might have no idea about your problem.
Well it's what they have told me, that the GEA cable link at my exchange routes all traffic to London, when i was on BT wholesale i got routed to manchester,

And yes i too have heard or read forum posts in the past where people who live in the same part of the uk as me get routed via manchester on their GEA , so what has changed i doesn't know,

As for the single thread issue the isp rep who posted on here knows all about it, and said some time ago last week he would look in to it, but so far no changes I was actually looking forwards to the migration from BTW , No BTW IP profile slowing down my throughput and the possibility of seeing lower latency too , but those hopes were shattered i have lost some sync due to a line fault that impacts the bb ie phone rings and there is a burst of FEC and error seconds on the upstream due to the voltage increase not the connected phone, as i can do the same with no phone in the socket, zen so far seem reluctant to investigate, wanting me to swap modems before they will proceed , and unable to run a cidt test because of the migration order lol
So not exactly helpful

A different tech support member has said that zen are migrating the circuit back to BTW and the order is progress , funny it isn't showing on the BT checker as a pending cease or in the zen portal

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 24-Nov-16 21:01:36)

Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 21:02:55
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Well it's what they have told me, that the GEA cable link at my exchange routes all traffic to London, when i was on BT wholesale i got routed to manchester, And yes i have heard or thread forum posts in the past where people who live in the same part of the uk as me get routed via manchester on their GEA , so what has changed i doesn't know,
We were at crossed purposes. I took your earlier post as saying that Zen "own network" has stopped using gateways in Manchester and only uses the London gateways. What you were actually saying is that the Zen network routes traffic from your FTTC handover point through the London gateways.

What has changed compared to BT Wholesale is that you are using a different backhaul network. The best routing from a network perspective is not necessarily the shortest geographic route. For a while, I was in the opposite situation to you: I'm closer to London but my traffic went via Manchester. Only Zen will know why the chosen routing is in use and whether there is any scope to use an alternative routing.

As for the single thread issue the isp rep who posted on here knows all about it, and said some time ago last week he would look in to it, but so far no changes

A different tech support member has said that zen are migrating the circuit back to BTW and the order is progress , funny it isn't showing on the BT checker as a pending cease or in the zen portal
I expected you would be working with Zen already. The reference to that thread was for anyone else affected by single thread performance issues who had stayed quiet and was hoping that their issue would automatically get fixed in due course.

As I understand it (which might be wrong!), there are a lot of exchanges potentially affected. At the very least, making contact with Zen as requested lets Zen know an exchange is definitely affected and that there is someone to contact if they want more speed tests run. This, in turn, might move the customer's exchange up the list of exchanges to be fixed.

When I contacted Jon, he confirmed my exchange was potentially affected and let me know that the network engineers were going to make a configuration change. After that change was made, he made contact again and I was pleased to confirm my single thread speed test results had gone from ~25Mbit/s to ~74Mbit/s.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 21:06:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by David_W:
Well it's what they have told me, that the GEA cable link at my exchange routes all traffic to London, when i was on BT wholesale i got routed to manchester, And yes i have heard or thread forum posts in the past where people who live in the same part of the uk as me get routed via manchester on their GEA , so what has changed i doesn't know,
We were at crossed purposes. I took your earlier post as saying that Zen "own network" has stopped using gateways in Manchester and only uses the London gateways. What you were actually saying is that the Zen network routes traffic from your FTTC handover point through the London gateways.

What has changed compared to BT Wholesale is that you are using a different backhaul network. The best routing from a network perspective is not necessarily the shortest geographic route. For a while, I was in the opposite situation to you: I'm closer to London but my traffic went via Manchester. Only Zen will know why the chosen routing is in use and whether there is any scope to use an alternative routing.

As for the single thread issue the isp rep who posted on here knows all about it, and said some time ago last week he would look in to it, but so far no changes

I expected you would be working with Zen already. The reference to that thread was for anyone else affected by single thread performance issues who had stayed quiet and was hoping that their issue would automatically get fixed in due course.

As I understand it (which might be wrong!), there are a lot of exchanges potentially affected. At the very least, making contact with Zen as requested lets Zen know an exchange is definitely affected and that there is someone to contact if they want more speed tests run. This, in turn, might move the customer's exchange up the list of exchanges to be fixed.

When I contacted Jon, he confirmed my exchange was potentially affected and let me know that the network engineers were going to make a configuration change. After that change was made, he made contact again and I was pleased to confirm my single thread speed test results had gone from ~25Mbit/s to ~74Mbit/s.
Single thread affects many who route through london gateways on zens llu/gea doesn't affect BTW customers in the same ways, but recent changes that zen did make ,cause or may be the underlying cause for a small increase in latency to locations going via london such as tbbqm

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 24-Nov-16 23:08:49)

Standard User Cruncher
(member) Fri 25-Nov-16 11:48:39
Print Post

Just caught up on this thread, Anyone care to give me a layman's version of the last bunch of posts??

Do I qualify as having this single thread issue?
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Anyway in short Zen say they can't do anything as the speed is within acceptable range etc. So I'm stuck with it. Blame the copper line I guess.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 25-Nov-16 12:13:48
Print Post

Yes it qualifies.

If first-line on the phone are giving you the push-off, raise a ticket with a link to that post about contacting them. (The remote post, not the one in this thread).

A better idea. Do as the Zen rep jongreen84 suggests in this thread, which is all about the problem. If that fails, PM him here with a link to this thread of yours.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 25-Nov-16 12:20:30)

Standard User Cruncher
(member) Fri 25-Nov-16 15:24:43
Print Post

Thanks Rob, will do.

Out of interest, and not just RobertoS but anyone reading this, what would you do if you were me.

TL;DR I move from Plusnet to Zen, instantly loosing 7Mb on my max rate (from ~77000 to ~70000), I used to download at 74Mb then for some reason it dropped to 70 with PN - I thought it was PN's network given the issues they have had recently and decided to jump ship. Now I've connected to Zen its down to around the 66Mb. - They have basically said tough [censored].

The 14 days cooling off period starts on the day you order the service which means the same 14 days it takes to activate Ergo once the service is live its too late.

That to me is BS.

Do I have any recourse? I know its still within the remit of 59Mb, so does that mean I need to lump it? Given that I know it should be and can be faster?

EDIT, I still can't run the further diagnostics on the BTW site to find out my IP profile either, just says contact your ISP if this problem persists.

:|

Edited by Cruncher (Fri 25-Nov-16 15:25:53)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 25-Nov-16 17:17:28
Print Post

You probably moved out of the IP Profile regime when they moved you to the Zen backhaul from the exchange. So the BT Wholesale tester won't let you continue to that page.

IP Profile (as we normally understand it here) is purely a BT Wholesale feature.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 25-Nov-16 17:26:15)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 25-Nov-16 22:51:57
Print Post

What would I do? I'd wait until G.INP is re-enabled and then see how the landscape looks.

If you move back to Plusnet, that will not bring back G.INP any quicker.

You're disappointed with your download speeds? Are you sure it's affecting you in any way at all? Anyway, you seem to have been advised how to get the the single thread download issue resolved.

However, you're paying the bill and it's up to you to decide. You know why you moved to Zen.

You could try looking up Buyers Remorse https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buyer's_remorse
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Nov-16 09:14:33
Print Post

Out of interest, and not just RobertoS but anyone reading this, what would you do if you were me.

Not worry about it and get on with doing what you do via the internet.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Cruncher
(member) Mon 28-Nov-16 09:02:34
Print Post

:rolleyes:

Its not buyers remorse. It being [censored] off that I'm paying more for a poorer service when I know I can and indeed have got faster speeds in the past from other providers. Hell given my line length I should be getting the full 80/20 like I have for the past 4 years..

Yes its my fault for moving and no If I had known then what I know now I wouldn't have moved.

[censored] me for trying right?

...and for the record, yes it does make a difference, given that I stream in 4K and my typical usage is anything up to ~1TB the slower speeds are having an impact.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 28-Nov-16 09:32:02
Print Post

Fair enough but please know I was only responding to this
So the question is, what will you do?
Standard User Cruncher
(member) Mon 28-Nov-16 10:11:02
Print Post

Fair enough, maybe I took the buyers remorse comment as a personal dig.

Well what can I do? It seems I can't cancel as the 14 days grace period is the same 14 that it takes to go active, so by the time I find out they have issues it too late. Maybe I should have done more research I admit, I guess I blindly accepted their reputation.

That said, I am going to talk to them regarding it and see if we can come to an agreement. I want nothing to do with them. They are not worth the premium they charge.

So without paying the early cancellation fee's I'm stuck with the useless [censored] it would seem.

I was on the phone with Zen for an hour on Friday evening doing various tests, now they're telling me there is congestion on their network at my exchange.

That's the 3rd excuse/reason they've given me now.

Edited by Cruncher (Mon 28-Nov-16 10:12:49)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 28-Nov-16 11:36:12
Print Post

omg no, I didn't mean it as a personal dig. afaik it is a real phenomenon which I have (and do) experienced myself.

That 14 day grace period is a complete sham then.

This seems to be a danger with forums like this - it is easy to become dissatisfied with your current supplier and to choose another one based on recommendations which don't actually meet your needs.

I still think you need to hang fire until G.INP turns on which should hopefully solve your speed problem. Note you can't rush it, it comes on in it's own sweet time so don't keep rebooting the modem etc.
Standard User Cruncher
(member) Mon 28-Nov-16 12:00:49
Print Post

That seems to be my best bet I guess.

I might be missing something, but how will G.INP make a difference?

If however your line ran happily without any DLM intervention, then no it won't increase your line rate. G.INP can only give back some of the speed previously taken away by Error Correction overheads and Interleave delay.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/retransmission.htm

I'm pretty sure I've never had interleaving on my line. Pinging BBC for example is always 7 or 8ms.

Edited by Cruncher (Mon 28-Nov-16 12:12:29)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 28-Nov-16 12:21:16
Print Post

For my connection G.INP improves my sync from 66-odd to 80.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 28-Nov-16 12:47:52
Print Post

But surely only after Interleaving has previously taken it away?

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Mon 28-Nov-16 13:12:35
Print Post

From the OP it appears the sync has only reduced by 5Mbps anyway as follows:

Do these stat from the router tell you anything? Before the switch my sync with Plusnet was ~75000
Text
Current Rate(kbps)      19999   70338

Edited by BatBoy (Mon 28-Nov-16 13:17:01)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 28-Nov-16 13:18:48
Print Post

True. So the Subject is wrong - as the Max Rate is only down 7Mbps from those stats.

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Nov-16 15:03:07
Print Post

I thought that 4K required 25mbps so you can have 2 x 4K streams.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Cruncher
(member) Mon 28-Nov-16 16:08:40
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
True. So the Subject is wrong - as the Max Rate is only down 7Mbps from those stats.
Well as its sitting at 68Mbps at the moment its more like 9. My bad on the subject line. I guess I kind of rounded it off a bit.

In reply to a post by broadband66:
I thought that 4K required 25mbps so you can have 2 x 4K streams.
25Mbps is the minimum.

"We recommend an Internet connection speed of at least 25 megabits per second to stream Ultra HD titles."
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

Anyway, I guess ts still better than a lot of people and for that I should be grateful, and it is stable which is better than it dropping out every 5 mins I guess... so I will wait and see what this burst speed fix is, as well as G.INP.

Is there any way I can 'test' my own phone line? Aside from the 17070 option 2 and an AM radio for REIN. I'm trying to rule out all the possibilities.

Standard User Cruncher
(member) Mon 28-Nov-16 20:24:26
Print Post

So they put me on a new VLAN (I think thats what they said they were doing, I was at work and doing several things at once when they called) Apparently the one I was on was congested.

Overall speed hasn't improved sadly but burst is fixed.

The result:

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Nov-16 15:29:34
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mixt:
I have noticed that any product reset/move between ISPs causes G.INP to be disabled on the line, temporarily, because DLM will be re-training. This will reduce your highest attainable sync rate slightly. Give it a few days (maybe a couple of weeks), this should be re-enabled, at which point your sync will jump back up.

ADSL training starts with a low speed and then increases. FTTC works in the opposite direction, ie starts fast and slows down. That has been my experience.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 29-Nov-16 16:30:24
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
ADSL training starts with a low speed and then increases.
On Sky. On most others it opens unrestricted except by attenuation and noise, or the product cap if lower than the possible sync.

Your description cannot be right on BT Wholesale circuits, as the infamous 10-day training does not directly affect the line itself. It merely records the lowest sync in those ten days and sets the Maximum Stable Rate (MSR) to that.

It then calculates and sets a Fault Threshold Rate at 80% (or historically probably 70%) of MSR. If your sync stays normally above the FTR then the chances of BTW accepting a fault report from your ISP are low.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15329kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Cruncher
(member) Wed 30-Nov-16 11:41:37
Print Post

Jumped up to 70Mbps overnight. Pings has doubled according to TBB, though Speedtest.net still showing it at 9ms.

Interleaving?

Edit 2: No difference in my BQM though. maybe its just that test.

Edit: Also, I've decided I want to unlock my HG612, I want to see the stats etc. Might do it this weekend. Or should I just leave it alone and let it do its thing?

I've been reading around on the Kitz site, but just wondering, I take it unlocking it doesn't have any negative impact does it?

Thanks. smile

Edited by Cruncher (Wed 30-Nov-16 11:53:17)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 30-Nov-16 11:52:27
Print Post

No negative impact at all. As long as you get the 30SP08. I recommend the option with the GUI unlocked as well, as there are a couple of things done easily there that are complex through telnet. The 28SP10 is earlier not later, as the SP number is within the 30/28 main version number.

The GUI line stats (power/attn/SNRM) are screwed up on the display though - use telnet for them. The sync and attainable in the GUI are fine.

Telnet also shows you if G.INP is on or not.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15393kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Cruncher
(member) Wed 30-Nov-16 12:01:13
Print Post

Yeah will be grabbing the latest FW.

I recommend the option with the GUI unlocked as well,
I'm probably being thick, but what do you mean by this?

I'm looking to use HG612 Modem Stats by Bald Eagle. Is that the best option? Then https://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk/

Sound good?

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 30-Nov-16 12:16:52
Print Post

In the repository cited in this post http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14262.0 I would click on the folder B030SP08 and use the fw ending in _webgui

For stats gathering I use DSLstats by Roseway as this simply runs as a windows application, produces graphs and uploads to https://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk/ . It can also run on a Raspberry Pi.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 30-Nov-16 12:38:25
Print Post

See BatBoy's link, and the 30SP08 options listed.

Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 60000/15393kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Cruncher
(member) Wed 30-Nov-16 12:41:45
Print Post

Ah got ya, will do. I haven't got as far as downloading anything yet. Ta! smile

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 30-Nov-16 16:47:33
Print Post

I agree with batboy, losing g.inp is the likely reason you lost speed.

Another possible reason also is that the sync speed you had on plusnet was with a low snrm, meaning 'any' resync would reduce your speed isp swap or not.

You didnt provide the snrm figures for the plusnet sync speed.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User Cruncher
(member) Wed 30-Nov-16 17:14:20
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I agree with batboy, losing g.inp is the likely reason you lost speed.

Isn't G.INP a new thing though? I've had full sync long before G.INP, I got 80/20 in March 2012 with ADSL24 and its been the same ever since. - I'm only asking here as you guys know more than I do.

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
You didnt provide the snrm figures for the plusnet sync speed.

I don't have them unfortunately The stats in the OP were from the TPLink VR600 with Zen after the switch (which I sent back the other day as it kept dropping the connection) and I didn't think to make a note of the stats with PN before I moved, which in hindsight is a sod. This is one of the reasons I want to unlock the modem now.

I did just find these stats though. I'd forgotten I had them hidden away on my PC. Any help? (I had to exchange the modem hence it was unlocked and isn't now)

They were from when I first moved onto 80/20 in March 2012 and I was with ADSL24 at the time.

Text
# xdslcmd info --show
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY statusStatus: Showtime
Retrain Reason: 0Max:    Upstream rate = 32937 Kbps, Downstream rate = 90168 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps 
Link Power State:       L0Mode:                   VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:          Profile 17aTPS-TC:                 PTM Mode
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ONLine Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime                Down            Up
SNR (dB):        8.8             15.1Attn(dB):        0.0             0.0
Pwr(dBm):        13.3           -4.6 
 # xdslcmd info --pbParams
Retrain Reason: 0Max:    Upstream rate = 32921 Kbps, Downstream rate = 90168 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps 
Discovery Phase (Initial) Band PlanUS: (0,95) (868,1207) (1972,2783)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963) (2792,3939)Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207) (1972,2783)DS: (32,859) (1216,1963) (2792,3939)
       VDSL Port Details       Upstream        DownstreamAttainable Net Data Rate:      32921 kbps         90168 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:    -   4.6 dBm          13.3 dBm============================================================================
  VDSL Band Status        U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3  Line Attenuation(dB):  2.4     10.3    14.1     N/A    5.9     12.7    20.2
Signal Attenuation(dB):  3.1     9.4     12.9     N/A    5.9     12.7    20.2        SNR Margin(dB):  15.8    15.1    15.1     N/A    8.8     8.8     8.9
         TX Power(dBm): -18.7   -36.2   -4.8      N/A    10.1    7.9     6.9

Edited by Cruncher (Wed 30-Nov-16 17:18:24)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 02-Dec-16 09:14:42
Print Post

no snr figures for plusnet essentially means you got no idea what the attainable signal was at the time of the move, this is very important information.

e.g. my line right now is synced at over 71mbit/sec, however due to increased crosstalk my snrm has dropped from 6.4db to around 4.7db in the past 6 weeks. Looking at it in very simple terms just at my sync speed it would appear everything is fine, but of course the lower snrm means if I resync the modem, I will sync at a lower speed which the modem estimates to be around 67mbit.

3 year old data is useless.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 02-Dec-16 09:17:13)

Standard User Cruncher
(member) Fri 02-Dec-16 13:36:09
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
no snr figures for plusnet essentially means you got no idea what the attainable signal was at the time of the move, this is very important information.

e.g. my line right now is synced at over 71mbit/sec, however due to increased crosstalk my snrm has dropped from 6.4db to around 4.7db in the past 6 weeks. Looking at it in very simple terms just at my sync speed it would appear everything is fine, but of course the lower snrm means if I resync the modem, I will sync at a lower speed which the modem estimates to be around 67mbit.

I hear you, but I forgot to take note of the numbers. I did intend to, but just didn't get round to it. As I said in the OP the only thing I can remember from the PN connection is that the max attainable rate was 77xxx.

In hindsight I wish I had an unlocked modem or had just taking more of an interest in the connection. Frankly as it was working fine I just carried on without giving it a second thought. Now its not I need that data! haha.. Nevermind, its my fault I guess. I've got a lot on at the moment anyway and BB speeds aren't one of them. It's up to 70Mbps at the moment, that'll do for now.

I do intend to unlock the modem either this weekend or next.

3 year old data is useless.
Yeah I understand, and thought as much. Thanks for replying though. smile

Standard User Cruncher
(member) Fri 02-Dec-16 21:33:58
Print Post

Unlocked the modem tonight, anything of interest? Ta.

Text
# xdslcmd info --pbParams
Retrain Reason: 1Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 26749 Kbps, Downstream rate = 73424 KbpsBearer: 0, Upstream rate = 19999 Kbps, Downstream rate = 73953 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 KbpsDiscovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2782)DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3970)
Medley Phase (Final) Band PlanUS: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2782)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3970)                  VDSL Port Details               Upstream                Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:           26749 kbps              73424 kbpsActual Aggregate Tx Power:         -   4.0 dBm               13.4 dBm
====================================================================================        VDSL Band Status                U0              U1              U2        U3              U4              D1              D2              D3
  Line Attenuation(dB):  3.6     11.1    15.9     N/A     N/A    6.9     13.5    21.7Signal Attenuation(dB):  3.6     10.2    14.9     N/A     N/A    8.2     13.4    21.6
SNR Margin(dB):  16.3    16.5    16.3     N/A     N/A    6.6    6.6     6.6TX Power(dBm): -18.7   -32.2   -4.3      N/A     N/A    10.4    7.9     7.0
# 
  xdslcmd info --showxdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last initialization procedure status:   0Max:    Upstream rate = 26789 Kbps, Downstream rate = 73424 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 19999 Kbps, Downstream rate = 73953 KbpsBearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Link Power State:       L0Mode:                   VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:          Profile 17aTPS-TC:                 PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ONLine Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime                Down            Up
SNR (dB):        6.6             16.4Attn(dB):        11.2            0.0
Pwr(dBm):        13.4           -4.0                        VDSL2 framing
                        Bearer 0MSGc:           -6              26
B:              243             237M:              1               1
T:              0               42R:              10              16
S:              0.1051          0.3781L:              19341           5374
D:              8               1I:              254             127
N:              254             254Q:              8               0
V:              0               0RxQueue:                60              0
TxQueue:                20              0G.INP Framing:          18              0
G.INP lookback:         20              0RRC bits:               0               24
                        Bearer 1MSGc:           154             -6
B:              0               0M:              2               0
T:              2               0R:              16              0
S:              6.4000          0.0000L:              40              0
D:              3               0I:              32              0
N:              32              0Q:              0               0
V:              0               0RxQueue:                0               0
TxQueue:                0               0G.INP Framing:          0               0
G.INP lookback:         0               0RRC bits:               0               0
                        Counters                        Bearer 0
OHF:            0               1477327OHFErr:         6               14
RS:             222352456               1890805RSCorr:         76836           212
RSUnCorr:       0               0                        Bearer 1
OHF:            365073          0OHFErr:         0               0
RS:             3650116         0RSCorr:         4               0
RSUnCorr:       0               0 
                        Retransmit Countersrtx_tx:         567502          0
rtx_c:          102             0rtx_uc:         100856          0
                         G.INP Counters
LEFTRS:         24              0minEFTR:        73923           0
errFreeBits:    10589274                0 
                        Bearer 0HEC:            0               0
OCD:            0               0LCD:            0               0
Total Cells:    833908977               0Data Cells:     17842860                0
Drop Cells:     0Bit Errors:     0               0
                         Bearer 1
HEC:            0               0OCD:            0               0
LCD:            0               0Total Cells:    0               0
Data Cells:     0               0Drop Cells:     0
Bit Errors:     0               0 
ES:             23              12SES:            21              1
UAS:            69              48AS:             5864
                         Bearer 0
INP:            49.00           0.00INPRein:        0.00            0.00
delay:          0               0PER:            0.00            3.98
OR:             0.01            64.22AgR:            74028.99        20063.54