General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Steelvenom
(newbie) Sat 03-Dec-16 20:33:25
Print Post

GCi Alaska monopoly

[link to this post]

I came to these forums to see if someone could give me some ISP advice.

I am currently residing on a military installation in Alaska "Wainwright" and my ISP is GCi. They have no competition here and charge you extremely high rates for very substandard internet speeds. They cap EVERYTHING!

You have the option for internet speeds "That they cap" but I NEVER see anything even close to these speeds even off rush hours.

They also have data caps so if you go over your data, there are severe penalties and overcharges are outrageous...

Does anyone have any experience for someone like me that can boost their internet speed from home by purchasing certain hardware from say Best Buy or "Home rigging" by purchasing from Lowe's / Home depot so I can at least improve my internet speeds?

I really do appreciate any advice I can get.

Thanks much, Sv
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Dec-16 21:29:53
Print Post

Re: GCi Alaska monopoly

[re: Steelvenom] [link to this post]

Sorry to say but this is very much a UK based forum.

And many in our great little country think they have it bad....

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Sat 03-Dec-16 23:28:40
Print Post

Re: GCi Alaska monopoly

[re: Steelvenom] [link to this post]

Heard bad things about GCI. In the cities they use DOCSIS so it's fine but in rural areas apparently they use satellite for the backhaul which would explain all the data caps. Good luck, and no there's nothing you can do. Can you get a 3G/4G signal from any network? That might be a better way to go.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to