General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User raysdna
(newbie) Sun 15-Jan-17 19:19:25
Print Post

Light user punished by DLM cutting speed to 0.2Mb

[link to this post]

BT DLM programming reduced my download speed from 5-8Mb to 0.2Mb, leaving uploads unaffected.
This is verbally admitted by Plusnet technical and they claim to have no control over DLM (Dynamic Line Management).
There is no contractual requirement to leave the router permanently synchronised and indeed it leaves it open to hacking if you do so. Also several million routers left on for no reason adds up to a lot of uneccessary electricity use.
The Plusnet complaints procedure is a farce of back and forth, leading nowhere, and failing to issue a Deadlock code for CISAS, although they have already refused to let me leave without penalty.
OFTEL are investigating the contractual legality of taking normal payment for 0.2Mb service, but if you have also been punished in this way, you could add your complaint to the many they have already received.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 15-Jan-17 19:26:42
Print Post

Re: Light user punished by DLM cutting speed to 0.2Mb

[re: raysdna] [link to this post]

You mean if you leave the router on, DLM will speed up your connection? There's the solution then.
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(learned) Sun 15-Jan-17 21:22:29
Print Post

That stinks, i switch my router off when i am not going to be using it for a few hours for the same reason you do, i am with Talk Talk and get 10 - 13 Mbps and never lower than 10Mbps.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vitrocmax
(newbie) Sun 15-Jan-17 22:13:45
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

TalkTalk are currently rolling out DLM on their ADSL2+ network, so you might not be on DLM yet, if that's the case it won't matter if you switch off. OP currently does have DLM.

They (TT) can't/won't advise individual changeover dates so there might be a time when you notice DLM kicking in, if your speed drops.

I for one prefer it as it is, but I'm resigned to the fact that it will change in time.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Jan-17 22:37:00
Print Post

Switching the router off over night should be no issue, but switching it off/on multiple times in the day may trigger DLM

Is this ADSL or ADSL2+? If ADSL it may be you are suffering the old IP Profile system which is slow to recover from low speed connection events.

Pleased to hear Oftel have taken on an individual case (presume you mean Ofcom) as usually they do not intervene in individual situations, preferring to only act when large numbers are affected with the deadlock process being the normal preferred method.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Jan-17 00:37:27
Print Post

Simply put these devices are designed to be always online.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 16-Jan-17 04:00:30
Print Post

[re: vitrocmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vitrocmax:
TalkTalk are currently rolling out DLM on their ADSL2+ network, so you might not be on DLM yet, if that's the case it won't matter if you switch off.

TalkTalk have had DLM on their ADSL2+ (LLU) network for donkeys years. Its switched on by default, however you can request to get it switched off via the forum OCEs.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Mon 16-Jan-17 08:11:48
Print Post

Hi

The other reason they should be left on is for consistency for everyone else. Especially true for VDSL and forthcoming G.Fast, as technically lots happens behind the scenes to prevent and mitigate crosstalk.

Modems switching on and off make it harder for this automatic management to take place, and other users who remain connected will see an inconsistency with their connection and speeds, maybe to such an extent the modem drops the connection as a few people turn their modems back on, and reconnects back up at a much lower speed, only to gain the speed back later when they other people switch off again, raising the possibility of a complaint to the ISP.

Regards

Phil
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Jan-17 08:42:48
Print Post

What does http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome say for your predicted speeds?

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016)
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Jan-17 09:52:08
Print Post

Something isn't right there
If you are on ADSL as opposed to fibre Plusnet can initiate a line reset although, if the line shows major instability, they may ask you to raise a fault
Why don't you post over at the Plusnet Forums where a member of staff will be able to help https://community.plus.net/t5/Forum/ct-p/Forum
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Jan-17 16:33:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by raysdna:
There is no contractual requirement to leave the router permanently synchronised and indeed it leaves it open to hacking if you do so. Also several million routers left on for no reason adds up to a lot of uneccessary electricity use.

You could also argue that there is NO contractual requirement to turn them off. Hacking is not really a issue with decent security and changing passwords etc.
As to electricity... Well who care's as I'm paying for it.
While I do not use the internet 24/7, It is used by our mobiles via wifi for emails etc. Which is better than using our data allowance.

As others have said leave router on and you should see your line speed go back to what it was before.

This is really a non issue caused by user.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
(learned) Tue 17-Jan-17 16:05:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Switching the router off over night should be no issue, but switching it off/on multiple times in the day may trigger DLM

Ours is usually switched off mid morning then back on again in the early evening then off gain around midnight, we suffer no speed issues.

Standard User scragglymonk
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Jan-17 23:25:40
Print Post

Might be worth checking out how much power the router uses

Only turn mine off when I want a reset, yes it could be hacked, but in 15 years it seems to have survived.

Maybe the cost of the freezer is going to be more than the cost of the router, why not turn the power to the freezer off ?

Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface for an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition. Merula FTTC
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Jan-17 09:52:15
Print Post

May I recommend a look at http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/01/energy-...

On minimum wage, you have most certainly spent more of your time complaining to Plusnet, Ofcom, etc, than you would save over a very long period turning your router on and off on demand.

In terms of vulnerability of the router to hacking, the difference is minuscule between having it on all the time and switching it off when not in use. Your home machines are far more vulnerable than your router unless you've played with the settings and opened it up to the world.

Life is surely far too short for this?
(learned) Sat 28-Jan-17 20:37:00
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

You are right, i turn my router off as i do everything that doesn't need to be switched on when i am out with no reduction in speeds over several years, what would i gain by leaving it on, nothing.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Jan-17 00:19:41
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chippy_Tea_:
In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

You are right, i turn my router off as i do everything that doesn't need to be switched on when i am out with no reduction in speeds over several years, what would i gain by leaving it on, nothing.

To each their own - it's not caused you any problems so not big deal.

I need mine active all the time as I use it to connect back to my home network when I'm out and about, I also work from home, and lastly we have a signal booster, a femtocell, connected to it too so need it active all the time to make calls.

Huge thanks for posting, will check out that HomeBrew forum.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Jan-17 10:03:11
Print Post

If security is the main concern use a two box solution: a modem (or router converted to modem only mode) which you leave on all the time to keep the DLM happy and a separate router that you turn off when not required. You could turn the router off and on 100 times a day with no ill effects.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016)
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User ironman12345
(regular) Sun 29-Jan-17 17:52:08
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
If security is the main concern use a two box solution: a modem (or router converted to modem only mode) which you leave on all the time to keep the DLM happy and a separate router that you turn off when not required. You could turn the router off and on 100 times a day with no ill effects.

I agree with jely , I use the original 2 box setup [first router and modem that were released by BT/OR] and just turn the router off when not needed , but leave the modem on to keep DLM happy.
Never had a problem on Infinity 2 80/20.
Connect with cat5/6 wire for internet and gaming as more stable than wifi which is dependent on a lot more variables , like positioning etc.

Edited by ironman12345 (Sun 29-Jan-17 18:34:46)

(learned) Mon 30-Jan-17 18:56:46
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Huge thanks for posting, will check out that HomeBrew forum.

Send me a PM over there if you decide to join. wink

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to