General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User call_centres
(newbie) Sat 25-Mar-17 12:35:19
Print Post

BT waste of time

[link to this post]

Admittedly this is what I have posted on another forum. Buts its relevant.

I have just been doing online chat with BT. I did three sessions. Never received an answer and all three sessions were closed by them. In the end I abandoned asking about the problem to ask what is the point of entering all those details only for you to ignore what I am writing. The answer was that they deal with bt service issues. However the question was about a bt service issue ie online chat provided by bt. But try as I might the question was too much for them to answer. So they kept closing the session.

In the end I wrote something like - what you are doing is avoiding answering certain questions by pretending that the question about a BT service has not been asked. And then trying to reset by asking what the issue is, again and again and again. You are not allowed to answer certain questions, this is despite you claiming that you are there to help with any issue.

Other issue. I have received a deadlock letter by a certain matthew gallagher, who basically did the same thing via email communication. He asked what I wanted and how the problem could be resolved. So I gave him a list of 6 to 8 points or things I would like to stop happening. He then, after receiving this list, asked me how the issue can be resolved - in other words refusing to acknowledge the list, although to be fair he did write that he knew about the list, but what do i want. Surely the list is what I wanted - right? He then went on to issue a deadlock letter - not without trying to use one delaying tactic after another. The deadlock letter containing untruths about the situation. But the last paragraph gave an invitation to contact him either by email or telephone. So I contacted him by email to point out what he had written is wrong. Three times I asked him why and was telling him what was wrong and why give contact details at the end of the deadlock letter if he did not want to be contacted.

Bt telephone staff do not even have basic technical knowledge of a router. they have no idea. Not a clue. But will blag that there answer is correct. I contacted them at the beginning to ask for the network username and password to place in the router to connect to the BT network. I made 22 calls that morning to in the end be connected withthe actual technical department. The answer is that its generic. Bt uses the same username and password across all routers. Here are some of the answers I got from BT. Have you looked on the bottom of the router, or better yet, contact the manufacturer of the router. How does that make sense? Why would the manufacturer of the router know the BT username and password? But no, just as joseph goebels quipped - if caught lying, keep on lying!

They also have no security. When you call and they claim they will help they then go on to ask question which is common knowledge. That neighbours, friends, colleagues, family would know and be able to answer. But point this out and they go into denial. Its basically an exercise to find out how stupid the caller is, and to put the caller in their place. Here is the cheek. they already know who is calling because of or in combination with voice recognition software and if you are calling from a number they know - they know who you are. Its an exercise, as it has been for years of training the voice recognition software.

I like as well how they hold the caller over-a-barrel until they get what they want. Even then there is no garuntee that the caller will get what they want - but they do get what they need to keep the job from the caller. And really this is the exercise, this is the point. Mine the call from beginning to end for everything the hapless call centre staff need while make false promises that they are there to help. Customer service should be renamed the customer serves us!!

Needless to say I am leaving.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-Mar-17 15:53:40
Print Post

Re: BT waste of time

[re: call_centres] [link to this post]

In short what were the actual questions?

As for the voice recognition software, never seen any official say they do this, and how do they handle this when its the first call someone has made?

The router password, sounds like you may have confused the support person, who was thinking you were asking for the wireless security details, which on the BT hubs are on the label, as is the admin password, and this is not uncommon on other devices. BT Consumer supplies the Home Hubs to avoid the complicated support issues of supporting those who source their own hardware, and at least unlike some providers the generic login lets you use your own hardware easily - Vodafone require unique username/pwd and now don't share them with the public, i.e. built into router and not visible.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sat 25-Mar-17 18:07:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think you will find, if you think about it, that the questions do not constitute security, because anyone could call them and give them such simple details - remember with BT there is no password. All the questions are public knpwledge. How would they be able to sort out right person from wrong person giving the same answers?

Bear this in mind. When I was with TalkTalk they completely gave the game away, in all sorts of ways. The classic of course is telling me my name three times, and then when I point out that they must know who they are talking with, I was given this "I need you to say your name".

At what point have you heard your isp typing when you are giving the so called security details? I asked BT once that I am not hearing any typing - remember they all use cheap microphones which means they pick up all noise in the room the hapless call centre staff is working in - I asked a lady at bt. She replied she was using a noisless keyboard. In other words she blagged.

Of course no official would say this - its a truth that dare not say its word. But it has being going on for years. That software needs to be trained - right!! And that takes some time of repetition.

About the router. Yes she was confused because she had no idea what she was talking about - while at the same time could not give the game away that she had no idea. Anyone with any basic technical knowledge would instanly know what I was trefering to. As the person at the last call of that day understood instantly. He though was an actual british technical support person. Unlike two calls that went like this after asking to be put through to technical support:

Indian guy: Hello - customer services.
Me: I asked to be put through to technical support.
Indian guy: Oh. Technical Support.
Me: But you just said you were customer services.

At what point do you really think that BT do not lie? Seriously.

You as many people are, are way to forgiving of call centre staff. They are there supposedly to help you - not the other way round. You as a caller are not supposed to be training them.

I always think its a neat trick, Taking peoples money and then getting more for free.

BTW I use my own router. Its not wireless. And it doesnt take much to confuse them BT call centre staff.

The engineer who installed said he was not and avoids speaking with BTs call centre. Should have taken that as a hint.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-Mar-17 18:21:12
Print Post

Are so complaint is about how they verify you as the account holder and the quality of support.

Arguing over whether the support line is called 'customer services' or 'technical support' is splitting hairs.

Time to leave in your case and find an ISP where the support staff are pure techies

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 26-Mar-17 11:33:55
Print Post

Ah - so I take it you are call centre staff.

To get in a huff, and concentrate on whatever the huff makes you focus upon, does not really view the broader picture. Does it?

No its not purely about 'technical support'. Its about not being lied too, or not being played, as a fool that call centre staff think every caller is.

Its not about arguing, as you put it over a particular name. Its about the customer support being efficient, and doing what is asked. Not doing whatever they feel like, and when caught out lying to try to cover their tracks by doing some more lying.

BTW according to a pdf I have they are supposed to be proficient or have had adequate training in the technical side of the job. I think its laid out by OFCOM.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Mar-17 11:58:49
Print Post

Am not and never have been call centre staff.

If you believe they are breaking an Ofcom mandate then raise it with Ofcom, am sure a fine will be most welcome by HM Treasury

(newbie) Sun 26-Mar-17 12:47:12
Print Post

Now thats sweet - calling ofcom to get something sorted out.

Ofcom like any other body setup by the UK government, has been de-clawed and de-toothed. Yes they have a telephone number, that you can call them on. But as far as dong anything is concerned they cop out. Its like being savaged by a dead sheep for any organisation that is supposed to be governed by this body.

Voluntary agreements - what a laugh. Its all smoke and mirrors. Pretending there are guidelines - notice "guidelines" not actual rules that they have to abide by. This is what all bodies are doing playing with phrases and words.

That must make telecom companies sweat at night!!

No offence.

Edited by call_centres (Sun 26-Mar-17 12:51:00)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 26-Mar-17 14:13:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by call_centres:
No its not purely about 'technical support'. Its about not being lied too, or not being played, as a fool that call centre staff think every caller is.
I've never been treated as a fool by call centre staff. If you are regularly experiencing such treatment it may be time to reflect. You are certainly not giving an impression of wisdom on this forum.
Admittedly this is what I have posted on another forum. Buts its relevant.
Came here after being banned perhaps? Needing to let off steam? Relevant to what? You haven't actually said what your reasons for contacting BT Call Centres was, despite being asked earlier, so we can't form any judgement on how they answered the question.

You must have had some reason for mentioning it, as I think it highly unlikely anyone here would be aware of your so doing. We
Its like being savaged by a dead sheep ....
That phrase was created by an extremely astute politician about another. Do you use it a lot?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Mar-17 15:32:32
Print Post

So perhaps you should enter into ADR or take them to small claims court

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Mar-17 20:32:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by call_centres:
At what point have you heard your isp typing when you are giving the so called security details? I asked BT once that I am not hearing any typing - remember they all use cheap microphones which means they pick up all noise in the room the hapless call centre staff is working in - I asked a lady at bt. She replied she was using a noisless keyboard. In other words she blagged.

It might just surprise you that many call centers use very high quality mic's that do not pick up noise outside a certain area. In order that customer cannot here anything other than what they should be hearing, reps voice.

YES I work in a call center and if my mike drops too low. People start complaining that they can't hear me...
I also know that when I ring the same call center I can't here any typing, despite knowing exactly what that person is doing.
Also note that their display will also show the number that is calling in. So this helps balance security....

TBH. Having read all your posts, I'm still at a loss to understand just what your problem is....

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....

Edited by JohnR (Sun 26-Mar-17 20:34:46)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to