General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User call_centres
(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:33:31
Print Post

Re: BT waste of time

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Any call centre that asks for a password is one you SHOULD NOT be doing business with.

Passwords should NEVER be visible to call centre operators or even a providers technical support staff.

Some operators have a specific 'verification code' for verification of your identity but even then you should only be asked for part of the code to ensure that staff cannot then leak a full phrase.

Perhaps you need to take your case formally to the ICO and get a complete revamp underway of how call centres operate when dealing with business and residential customers in the UK

Over this I beg to differ. The password is the only piece of information that both the caller and company know. It really is the only piece of secure information.

Scammers use the whole procedure to well errrr scam. Just to highlight this - I was with TalkTalk. I had a call from someone claiming to be from TalkTalk. I allowed him to talk. He claimed that my machine was compromised with viruses and worms etc and that talktalk have noticed this. But its ok, all I had to do was login to my computer and follow his instruction to stop the problem. I said ok but first tell me what my password is? He could not answer. He then put the phone down. Not the first time that not cooperating withthe caller has saved my bacon.

I am in the practrise now if someone calls to say OK to prove that you are from the company tell me what my password is? If they cant answer, then I tell them to go away.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:37:14
Print Post

[re: call_centres] [link to this post]

I agree with MrS here - contact centre staff should have no access to your password. What if a contact centre staff member has a falling out with their employer - all they have to do is grab a load of passwords before they go and then they can ring you up and "prove" they work for the company.

A shared secret is normal. But, they would normally only see a few characters of it to verify identity - they shouldn't see the whole thing. Also, I have to say I have never dealt with a company that will tell me the password to talk to me - if I get a call from a company then I assume they aren't who they say they are and will ring back on a known number - I don't care what information they have about me as any data can be compromised. If I call them then they don't have to prove who they are.
(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:37:29
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
The problem is you haven't given any information about what your actual complaint was (ie what the list was - without that list we have only your word that what you were asking for was a reasonable request).

Also, you are being incredibly aggressive and seem to be blaming people here about what happened when no one here, as far as I know, works for the BT call centres. You are challenging people here as to why your list was ignored - we can't answer that as we weren't on the call. If you want people to discuss this with you then stop blaming everyone here for your experience and answer people's questions.

As it stands your posts are just a rant. And as we don't have access to the call recording we have no idea if your rant is reasonable and you won't give more detail to support it.

I'm being incredibly aggressive? All I did was post my experience with BT. The rest followed from the other posters. Al I am doing is defending my position.

"As it stands your posts are just a rant. And as we don't have access to the call recording we have no idea if your rant is reasonable and you won't give more detail to support it." - what not aggressive by saying that I am ranting. This forum is about complaints. its not about how great the isp is - now is it? Sheeshh!!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:45:21
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Seeing one or two characters is VERY different to seeing all the characters of a password.

If banking call centre staff can see ALL your password then the banking regulator would love to hear from staff to report this

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:46:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
I agree with MrS here - contact centre staff should have no access to your password. What if a contact centre staff member has a falling out with their employer - all they have to do is grab a load of passwords before they go and then they can ring you up and "prove" they work for the company.

A shared secret is normal. But, they would normally only see a few characters of it to verify identity - they shouldn't see the whole thing. Also, I have to say I have never dealt with a company that will tell me the password to talk to me - if I get a call from a company then I assume they aren't who they say they are and will ring back on a known number - I don't care what information they have about me as any data can be compromised. If I call them then they don't have to prove who they are.

You make some fair points but - lets talk about bt. They will contact you and ask whether you are the account holder, before they will continue. The point I am trying to make is that when you contact them they are not lenient, and you have to do everything they want - they are strict. But if they call you, then you cannot be strict with them or hold them to the same standards as they hold you. Should you hold them to the same standards, they will find an excuse to put the phone down then write notes on the account that you was to blame in yet another attempt to cover their job.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:47:00
Print Post

Oh ok so no point in posting or attempting to help you then, as you are basically saying all avenues of help have no power.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:47:52
Print Post

At what point do you really think that BT do not lie? Seriously.
You as many people are, are way to forgiving of call centre staff.
Ah - so I take it you are call centre staff.
And that would be another point I would charge against call centre staff. You are a law onto yourselves. you believe that you can do what you want, and the caller has to do what you want - or else!!!
I already know that the display shows the number that is calling. So then why the trick question - what is your telephone number? Answer me that call centre staff.

And call centre staff, you did not answer why when you have been given a list, after asking what can you do to help, do you then ignore the list, and ask again what it is I want?
I have to admit, I am surprissed at you lot. You are not like the forum that was on broadbandgenie. There, complaints were accepted. They was not automatically shouted down.

Its easier to fool people, than to convince them they are being fooled - mark twain

This is what I am experiencing here.

You keep asking us to answer why call centre staff are not doing what you want as if we are the staff you are talking about - how do you expect us to answer the question?

Also, you seem to think we should just agree with you - well, I'm afraid I require more detail to be able to decide whether I think you were mistreated - not just your word for it. This forum is generally quite well balanced rather than taking extreme views on things - we thrive on information rather than emotion.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:51:04
Print Post

If they want to talk to my account then I will ask for a reference and call them back. If I am expecting a call (ie engineer coming) then I would be less likely to bother questioning but if it is unsolicited then I would not discuss my account from a cold call.

I did once have a phone company (not BT) call me and ask me to give them my password. I refused. They said we can't talk unless I give them the password - I said that was fine as I didn't initiate the call and didn't want to talk to them anyway. They were somewhat confused by that...

However, don't blame the staff. The staff work within the rules of the company - they are just normal employees.
(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 14:01:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Actually I thought this forum was about unhappiness about an isp, not shout down anyone who has unhappiness about an isp?

I did not post to elicit advice either. I just wanted to share my experience.

Yes the dead sheep is a quote from a poltician - I already know that.

Not being played like a fool? Picture this. You decide as the isp is raising prices to take advantage of the ofcom guidline to move to another isp. So you contact the existing isp and tell them of your intention. They say - ok you can leave because of the ofcom guidline, but (here it comes) for you the price is not increasing. Therefore you cannot leave.

Pop quiz -

A) can you still leave - and explain why.

B) Can you not now leave - and explain why.

Just to put you out of your misery. Yes the answer is A - you can still leave. The very act of saying that the price ios not going up for you is an admittal that the price has gone up - otherwise they would not have to do that with you - now would they?

Think they are not trying to play the caller as a fool - I would think again.

But as always no offence.
(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 14:14:23
Print Post

But I am not demanding that you just agree with me - but neither am I trying to solicit an argument either. Which is what many of you lot seem to think. I will state again, I thought this was a forum to post unhappiness not a shout down anyone who posts unhappiness about an isp.

Totally amazing.

I think I will produce my own forum, where if one is unhappy about an isp, they wont automatically be shot - so to speak.

It remind me of that grief thingy.

1) mock and ridicule.
2) argue
3) Negotiate
4) Acceptance.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to