General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User call_centres
(newbie) Sat 25-Mar-17 12:35:19
Print Post

BT waste of time

[link to this post]

Admittedly this is what I have posted on another forum. Buts its relevant.

I have just been doing online chat with BT. I did three sessions. Never received an answer and all three sessions were closed by them. In the end I abandoned asking about the problem to ask what is the point of entering all those details only for you to ignore what I am writing. The answer was that they deal with bt service issues. However the question was about a bt service issue ie online chat provided by bt. But try as I might the question was too much for them to answer. So they kept closing the session.

In the end I wrote something like - what you are doing is avoiding answering certain questions by pretending that the question about a BT service has not been asked. And then trying to reset by asking what the issue is, again and again and again. You are not allowed to answer certain questions, this is despite you claiming that you are there to help with any issue.

Other issue. I have received a deadlock letter by a certain matthew gallagher, who basically did the same thing via email communication. He asked what I wanted and how the problem could be resolved. So I gave him a list of 6 to 8 points or things I would like to stop happening. He then, after receiving this list, asked me how the issue can be resolved - in other words refusing to acknowledge the list, although to be fair he did write that he knew about the list, but what do i want. Surely the list is what I wanted - right? He then went on to issue a deadlock letter - not without trying to use one delaying tactic after another. The deadlock letter containing untruths about the situation. But the last paragraph gave an invitation to contact him either by email or telephone. So I contacted him by email to point out what he had written is wrong. Three times I asked him why and was telling him what was wrong and why give contact details at the end of the deadlock letter if he did not want to be contacted.

Bt telephone staff do not even have basic technical knowledge of a router. they have no idea. Not a clue. But will blag that there answer is correct. I contacted them at the beginning to ask for the network username and password to place in the router to connect to the BT network. I made 22 calls that morning to in the end be connected withthe actual technical department. The answer is that its generic. Bt uses the same username and password across all routers. Here are some of the answers I got from BT. Have you looked on the bottom of the router, or better yet, contact the manufacturer of the router. How does that make sense? Why would the manufacturer of the router know the BT username and password? But no, just as joseph goebels quipped - if caught lying, keep on lying!

They also have no security. When you call and they claim they will help they then go on to ask question which is common knowledge. That neighbours, friends, colleagues, family would know and be able to answer. But point this out and they go into denial. Its basically an exercise to find out how stupid the caller is, and to put the caller in their place. Here is the cheek. they already know who is calling because of or in combination with voice recognition software and if you are calling from a number they know - they know who you are. Its an exercise, as it has been for years of training the voice recognition software.

I like as well how they hold the caller over-a-barrel until they get what they want. Even then there is no garuntee that the caller will get what they want - but they do get what they need to keep the job from the caller. And really this is the exercise, this is the point. Mine the call from beginning to end for everything the hapless call centre staff need while make false promises that they are there to help. Customer service should be renamed the customer serves us!!

Needless to say I am leaving.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-Mar-17 15:53:40
Print Post

Re: BT waste of time

[re: call_centres] [link to this post]

In short what were the actual questions?

As for the voice recognition software, never seen any official say they do this, and how do they handle this when its the first call someone has made?

The router password, sounds like you may have confused the support person, who was thinking you were asking for the wireless security details, which on the BT hubs are on the label, as is the admin password, and this is not uncommon on other devices. BT Consumer supplies the Home Hubs to avoid the complicated support issues of supporting those who source their own hardware, and at least unlike some providers the generic login lets you use your own hardware easily - Vodafone require unique username/pwd and now don't share them with the public, i.e. built into router and not visible.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sat 25-Mar-17 18:07:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think you will find, if you think about it, that the questions do not constitute security, because anyone could call them and give them such simple details - remember with BT there is no password. All the questions are public knpwledge. How would they be able to sort out right person from wrong person giving the same answers?

Bear this in mind. When I was with TalkTalk they completely gave the game away, in all sorts of ways. The classic of course is telling me my name three times, and then when I point out that they must know who they are talking with, I was given this "I need you to say your name".

At what point have you heard your isp typing when you are giving the so called security details? I asked BT once that I am not hearing any typing - remember they all use cheap microphones which means they pick up all noise in the room the hapless call centre staff is working in - I asked a lady at bt. She replied she was using a noisless keyboard. In other words she blagged.

Of course no official would say this - its a truth that dare not say its word. But it has being going on for years. That software needs to be trained - right!! And that takes some time of repetition.

About the router. Yes she was confused because she had no idea what she was talking about - while at the same time could not give the game away that she had no idea. Anyone with any basic technical knowledge would instanly know what I was trefering to. As the person at the last call of that day understood instantly. He though was an actual british technical support person. Unlike two calls that went like this after asking to be put through to technical support:

Indian guy: Hello - customer services.
Me: I asked to be put through to technical support.
Indian guy: Oh. Technical Support.
Me: But you just said you were customer services.

At what point do you really think that BT do not lie? Seriously.

You as many people are, are way to forgiving of call centre staff. They are there supposedly to help you - not the other way round. You as a caller are not supposed to be training them.

I always think its a neat trick, Taking peoples money and then getting more for free.

BTW I use my own router. Its not wireless. And it doesnt take much to confuse them BT call centre staff.

The engineer who installed said he was not and avoids speaking with BTs call centre. Should have taken that as a hint.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-Mar-17 18:21:12
Print Post

Are so complaint is about how they verify you as the account holder and the quality of support.

Arguing over whether the support line is called 'customer services' or 'technical support' is splitting hairs.

Time to leave in your case and find an ISP where the support staff are pure techies

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 26-Mar-17 11:33:55
Print Post

Ah - so I take it you are call centre staff.

To get in a huff, and concentrate on whatever the huff makes you focus upon, does not really view the broader picture. Does it?

No its not purely about 'technical support'. Its about not being lied too, or not being played, as a fool that call centre staff think every caller is.

Its not about arguing, as you put it over a particular name. Its about the customer support being efficient, and doing what is asked. Not doing whatever they feel like, and when caught out lying to try to cover their tracks by doing some more lying.

BTW according to a pdf I have they are supposed to be proficient or have had adequate training in the technical side of the job. I think its laid out by OFCOM.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Mar-17 11:58:49
Print Post

Am not and never have been call centre staff.

If you believe they are breaking an Ofcom mandate then raise it with Ofcom, am sure a fine will be most welcome by HM Treasury

(newbie) Sun 26-Mar-17 12:47:12
Print Post

Now thats sweet - calling ofcom to get something sorted out.

Ofcom like any other body setup by the UK government, has been de-clawed and de-toothed. Yes they have a telephone number, that you can call them on. But as far as dong anything is concerned they cop out. Its like being savaged by a dead sheep for any organisation that is supposed to be governed by this body.

Voluntary agreements - what a laugh. Its all smoke and mirrors. Pretending there are guidelines - notice "guidelines" not actual rules that they have to abide by. This is what all bodies are doing playing with phrases and words.

That must make telecom companies sweat at night!!

No offence.

Edited by call_centres (Sun 26-Mar-17 12:51:00)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 26-Mar-17 14:13:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by call_centres:
No its not purely about 'technical support'. Its about not being lied too, or not being played, as a fool that call centre staff think every caller is.
I've never been treated as a fool by call centre staff. If you are regularly experiencing such treatment it may be time to reflect. You are certainly not giving an impression of wisdom on this forum.
Admittedly this is what I have posted on another forum. Buts its relevant.
Came here after being banned perhaps? Needing to let off steam? Relevant to what? You haven't actually said what your reasons for contacting BT Call Centres was, despite being asked earlier, so we can't form any judgement on how they answered the question.

You must have had some reason for mentioning it, as I think it highly unlikely anyone here would be aware of your so doing. We
Its like being savaged by a dead sheep ....
That phrase was created by an extremely astute politician about another. Do you use it a lot?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Mar-17 15:32:32
Print Post

So perhaps you should enter into ADR or take them to small claims court

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Mar-17 20:32:40
Print Post

At what point have you heard your isp typing when you are giving the so called security details? I asked BT once that I am not hearing any typing - remember they all use cheap microphones which means they pick up all noise in the room the hapless call centre staff is working in - I asked a lady at bt. She replied she was using a noisless keyboard. In other words she blagged.

It might just surprise you that many call centers use very high quality mic's that do not pick up noise outside a certain area. In order that customer cannot here anything other than what they should be hearing, reps voice.

YES I work in a call center and if my mike drops too low. People start complaining that they can't hear me...
I also know that when I ring the same call center I can't here any typing, despite knowing exactly what that person is doing.
Also note that their display will also show the number that is calling in. So this helps balance security....

TBH. Having read all your posts, I'm still at a loss to understand just what your problem is....

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....

Edited by JohnR (Sun 26-Mar-17 20:34:46)

Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(learned) Mon 27-Mar-17 11:15:20
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

TBH. Having read all your posts, I'm still at a loss to understand just what your problem is....

I am sure if i worked in a call centre and he had the same attitude when speaking to me as he has shown here i would also have given him the runaround.

(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 12:36:25
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chippy_Tea_:

I am sure if i worked in a call centre and he had the same attitude when speaking to me as he has shown here i would also have given him the runaround.

And that would be another point I would charge against call centre staff. You are a law onto yourselves. you believe that you can do what you want, and the caller has to do what you want - or else!!!

Call centre staff should be doing what the caller wants. Its not the other way around.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Mar-17 12:43:52
Print Post

How about a more friendly less confrontational approach, where callers treat workers with respect and call centre staff treat callers with respect.

Seriously, if you have been abused by call centre staff which is what you appear to be alleging/implying in your posts then you need to make it clearer or people will see your posts as just another 'angry person' rant and walk on by ignoring you.

(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 12:51:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by JohnR:

It might just surprise you that many call centers use very high quality mic's that do not pick up noise outside a certain area. In order that customer cannot here anything other than what they should be hearing, reps voice.

YES I work in a call center and if my mike drops too low. People start complaining that they can't hear me...
I also know that when I ring the same call center I can't here any typing, despite knowing exactly what that person is doing.
Also note that their display will also show the number that is calling in. So this helps balance security....

I already know that the display shows the number that is calling. So then why the trick question - what is your telephone number? Answer me that call centre staff.

And call centre staff, you did not answer why when you have been given a list, after asking what can you do to help, do you then ignore the list, and ask again what it is I want?

About 'high quality microphones'. If one person is using high quality microphones, surely at least most of them should be using high quality microphones. I say this as I would imagine that companies upgrade the equipment en-masse And guess what I almost invariably can hear what is going on about the call centre staff - so they are not using high quality microphones are they?

There is no security in asking question that other people would know the answers to. Such as address, name, telephone number, post code. I would accept name and password. But to ask all those other questions is just gilding the lilly, or asking questions for the sake of asking question, to continue the charade that its done for security.

I had a conversation with the organisation that is meant to be regulating the DPA. They said that the questions should be unique - that is only I and the company would know the answer. How does asking the name, address, telephone number, postcode etc qualify as unique information that only the customer and company would know? And BTW call centre staff - who is it that regulates the DPA? How many questions should be asked to satisfy the DPA? And what questions should be asked to satisfy the DPA? (I have given you a clue about this).
(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 12:55:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No I hav not been banned. I posted twice for good measure.

I have to admit, I am surprissed at you lot. You are not like the forum that was on broadbandgenie. There, complaints were accepted. They was not automatically shouted down.

Its easier to fool people, than to convince them they are being fooled - mark twain

This is what I am experiencing here.
(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 12:57:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
So perhaps you should enter into ADR or take them to small claims court

Thanks, but I think you will find that all organisations setup by the government deliberately have no power or any say.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Mar-17 12:57:49
Print Post

Any call centre that asks for a password is one you SHOULD NOT be doing business with.

Passwords should NEVER be visible to call centre operators or even a providers technical support staff.

Some operators have a specific 'verification code' for verification of your identity but even then you should only be asked for part of the code to ensure that staff cannot then leak a full phrase.

Perhaps you need to take your case formally to the ICO and get a complete revamp underway of how call centres operate when dealing with business and residential customers in the UK

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:08:27
Print Post

Any call centre that asks for a password is one you SHOULD NOT be doing business with.

Actually Mr S, on the rare occasions i call my bank (Lloyds) they speed up security verification by asking me a few random characters of my internet banking password. As of yet I've not had my bank account emptied so perhaps I shouldn't be too worried smile

Though TalkTalk Business (Warrington call centre) always ask for my full online password when verifying my identity over the phone.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20..(soon to be FluidOne FTTP 330/30)
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 27-Mar-17 13:09:07)

(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:26:11
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:

Actually Mr S, on the rare occasions i call my bank (Lloyds) they speed up security verification by asking me a few random characters of my internet banking password. As of yet I've not had my bank account emptied so perhaps I shouldn't be too worried smile

Though TalkTalk Business (Warrington call centre) always ask for my full online password when verifying my identity over the phone.

I would be careful with Lloyds. Yes they do blag that the 'security number' means that you do not need to answer any other questions. However the practise is that they will still ask you more questions, which defeats the object of having a security number.

As far as your point is concerned, consider this. I was with Lloyds. My account was compromised. They would not do anything to refund the money - and yes I went through theur security procedure on several occasions. One call I was through to their debit card fraud department. I put this to the hapless call centre staff employee - "the problem is not getting into the account. the problem is getting the information to get into the acount. Once that is got then anyone can get into the account like a hot-knife-through-butter." Now bear in mind that the call centres staff job is to contadict everything you claim. So his reply went like this - eeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (how can I contradict this?)eeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr(you could almost hear the wheels turning)eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - finally - yes you are right.

So keep as little money in that account as possible - just some friendly advice.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:33:11
Print Post

The problem is you haven't given any information about what your actual complaint was (ie what the list was - without that list we have only your word that what you were asking for was a reasonable request).

Also, you are being incredibly aggressive and seem to be blaming people here about what happened when no one here, as far as I know, works for the BT call centres. You are challenging people here as to why your list was ignored - we can't answer that as we weren't on the call. If you want people to discuss this with you then stop blaming everyone here for your experience and answer people's questions.

As it stands your posts are just a rant. And as we don't have access to the call recording we have no idea if your rant is reasonable and you won't give more detail to support it.
(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:33:31
Print Post

Passwords should NEVER be visible to call centre operators or even a providers technical support staff.

Some operators have a specific 'verification code' for verification of your identity but even then you should only be asked for part of the code to ensure that staff cannot then leak a full phrase.

Perhaps you need to take your case formally to the ICO and get a complete revamp underway of how call centres operate when dealing with business and residential customers in the UK

Over this I beg to differ. The password is the only piece of information that both the caller and company know. It really is the only piece of secure information.

Scammers use the whole procedure to well errrr scam. Just to highlight this - I was with TalkTalk. I had a call from someone claiming to be from TalkTalk. I allowed him to talk. He claimed that my machine was compromised with viruses and worms etc and that talktalk have noticed this. But its ok, all I had to do was login to my computer and follow his instruction to stop the problem. I said ok but first tell me what my password is? He could not answer. He then put the phone down. Not the first time that not cooperating withthe caller has saved my bacon.

I am in the practrise now if someone calls to say OK to prove that you are from the company tell me what my password is? If they cant answer, then I tell them to go away.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:37:14
Print Post

I agree with MrS here - contact centre staff should have no access to your password. What if a contact centre staff member has a falling out with their employer - all they have to do is grab a load of passwords before they go and then they can ring you up and "prove" they work for the company.

A shared secret is normal. But, they would normally only see a few characters of it to verify identity - they shouldn't see the whole thing. Also, I have to say I have never dealt with a company that will tell me the password to talk to me - if I get a call from a company then I assume they aren't who they say they are and will ring back on a known number - I don't care what information they have about me as any data can be compromised. If I call them then they don't have to prove who they are.
(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:37:29
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
The problem is you haven't given any information about what your actual complaint was (ie what the list was - without that list we have only your word that what you were asking for was a reasonable request).

Also, you are being incredibly aggressive and seem to be blaming people here about what happened when no one here, as far as I know, works for the BT call centres. You are challenging people here as to why your list was ignored - we can't answer that as we weren't on the call. If you want people to discuss this with you then stop blaming everyone here for your experience and answer people's questions.

As it stands your posts are just a rant. And as we don't have access to the call recording we have no idea if your rant is reasonable and you won't give more detail to support it.

I'm being incredibly aggressive? All I did was post my experience with BT. The rest followed from the other posters. Al I am doing is defending my position.

"As it stands your posts are just a rant. And as we don't have access to the call recording we have no idea if your rant is reasonable and you won't give more detail to support it." - what not aggressive by saying that I am ranting. This forum is about complaints. its not about how great the isp is - now is it? Sheeshh!!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:45:21
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Seeing one or two characters is VERY different to seeing all the characters of a password.

If banking call centre staff can see ALL your password then the banking regulator would love to hear from staff to report this

(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:46:42
Print Post

I agree with MrS here - contact centre staff should have no access to your password. What if a contact centre staff member has a falling out with their employer - all they have to do is grab a load of passwords before they go and then they can ring you up and "prove" they work for the company.

A shared secret is normal. But, they would normally only see a few characters of it to verify identity - they shouldn't see the whole thing. Also, I have to say I have never dealt with a company that will tell me the password to talk to me - if I get a call from a company then I assume they aren't who they say they are and will ring back on a known number - I don't care what information they have about me as any data can be compromised. If I call them then they don't have to prove who they are.

You make some fair points but - lets talk about bt. They will contact you and ask whether you are the account holder, before they will continue. The point I am trying to make is that when you contact them they are not lenient, and you have to do everything they want - they are strict. But if they call you, then you cannot be strict with them or hold them to the same standards as they hold you. Should you hold them to the same standards, they will find an excuse to put the phone down then write notes on the account that you was to blame in yet another attempt to cover their job.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:47:00
Print Post

Oh ok so no point in posting or attempting to help you then, as you are basically saying all avenues of help have no power.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:47:52
Print Post

At what point do you really think that BT do not lie? Seriously.
You as many people are, are way to forgiving of call centre staff.
Ah - so I take it you are call centre staff.
And that would be another point I would charge against call centre staff. You are a law onto yourselves. you believe that you can do what you want, and the caller has to do what you want - or else!!!
I already know that the display shows the number that is calling. So then why the trick question - what is your telephone number? Answer me that call centre staff.

And call centre staff, you did not answer why when you have been given a list, after asking what can you do to help, do you then ignore the list, and ask again what it is I want?
I have to admit, I am surprissed at you lot. You are not like the forum that was on broadbandgenie. There, complaints were accepted. They was not automatically shouted down.

Its easier to fool people, than to convince them they are being fooled - mark twain

This is what I am experiencing here.

You keep asking us to answer why call centre staff are not doing what you want as if we are the staff you are talking about - how do you expect us to answer the question?

Also, you seem to think we should just agree with you - well, I'm afraid I require more detail to be able to decide whether I think you were mistreated - not just your word for it. This forum is generally quite well balanced rather than taking extreme views on things - we thrive on information rather than emotion.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Mar-17 13:51:04
Print Post

If they want to talk to my account then I will ask for a reference and call them back. If I am expecting a call (ie engineer coming) then I would be less likely to bother questioning but if it is unsolicited then I would not discuss my account from a cold call.

I did once have a phone company (not BT) call me and ask me to give them my password. I refused. They said we can't talk unless I give them the password - I said that was fine as I didn't initiate the call and didn't want to talk to them anyway. They were somewhat confused by that...

However, don't blame the staff. The staff work within the rules of the company - they are just normal employees.
(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 14:01:33
Print Post

Actually I thought this forum was about unhappiness about an isp, not shout down anyone who has unhappiness about an isp?

I did not post to elicit advice either. I just wanted to share my experience.

Yes the dead sheep is a quote from a poltician - I already know that.

Not being played like a fool? Picture this. You decide as the isp is raising prices to take advantage of the ofcom guidline to move to another isp. So you contact the existing isp and tell them of your intention. They say - ok you can leave because of the ofcom guidline, but (here it comes) for you the price is not increasing. Therefore you cannot leave.

Pop quiz -

A) can you still leave - and explain why.

B) Can you not now leave - and explain why.

Just to put you out of your misery. Yes the answer is A - you can still leave. The very act of saying that the price ios not going up for you is an admittal that the price has gone up - otherwise they would not have to do that with you - now would they?

Think they are not trying to play the caller as a fool - I would think again.

But as always no offence.
(newbie) Mon 27-Mar-17 14:14:23
Print Post

But I am not demanding that you just agree with me - but neither am I trying to solicit an argument either. Which is what many of you lot seem to think. I will state again, I thought this was a forum to post unhappiness not a shout down anyone who posts unhappiness about an isp.

Totally amazing.

I think I will produce my own forum, where if one is unhappy about an isp, they wont automatically be shot - so to speak.

It remind me of that grief thingy.

1) mock and ridicule.
2) argue
3) Negotiate
4) Acceptance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Mar-17 14:25:31
Print Post

To answer the pop quiz....

If you have not been notified of a price rise then you cannot enact the walk from contract clause, and there may be reasons for this e.g. some offers are fixed price for a period and thus you are not affected by a price rise.

Similarly even if you are affected, often sites like ourselves have news of the price rise before it has gone out to all the customers, and thus best to wait for the official 30 day notification notice, that is part of the contract rules.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Mar-17 14:27:44
Print Post

So you are leaving, which provider do you recommend that follows all your principles for good call centre practice?

That snippet of information would be worth sharing for all those that have some empathy for your situation and want to follow to a provider that behaves how you outline they should.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 27-Mar-17 14:31:53
Print Post

I suggest you check out this call centre.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65618/13914Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Mar-17 14:40:26
Print Post

You make a series of statements that you have not backed up with evidence - what people have asked for is the evidence.

You said you had a list of things you wanted them to deal with and that they ignored it. You were asked what the list was - that would allow us to understand if they were things that were in their gift to sort and therefore if you were reasonable in your requests. For all we know your first item might have been "give me free broadband" - but as we don't know the list we have no idea if it was reasonable.

Most of the posts were just asking for more information. However, you took them as attacks and from my reading and the quotes I posted you then attacked back (seemingly expecting people here to answer why your list was ignored - we don't know).

If you aren't willing to give more info then please say so and we can ignore this post - generally people here are trying to help, if as you say you don't want help then fine we can just let it go as you venting steam and not wanting to discuss. If you want help or a discussion then you need to engage in the discussion and answer the follow up questions that are asked - that is the only way it can progress as we aren't just going to agree with you without further detail.

You also make assumptions about BTs capabilities on voice analysis - MrS was clearly not aware BT have that capability so if you have knowledge that they do then that would be great - but if it is a theory without evidence then we can make our own judgements as to the accuracy of your statement.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Mar-17 14:43:44
Print Post

Just rereading your OP.

Am I correct that you were asking a specific question about the BT chat function on the BT chat function? If so then them saying they are there to answer questions about BT services is they mean services they sell to customers like phone and broadband rather than the support structure (ie call centres, chat, etc).

The chat people are there to talk about the end user products - chat is a support channel rather than a product. They told you they aren't there to discuss the chat function itself - but you still contacted them a further 2 times to ask the same question that they told you they weren't there to answer?

Is that correct?
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Mar-17 17:11:46
Print Post

It's call SECURITY... Have you not heard of spoofing telephone numbers...

And call centre staff, you did not answer why when you have been given a list. After asking what can you do to help, do you then ignore the list, and ask again what it is I want?

So you gave him a list... Do you think that you will get it all? Do you think that it was possible that he could do this? You were asked a simple question. Yet shot off on one.

About 'high quality microphones'. If one person is using high quality microphones, surely at least most of them should be using high quality microphones. I say this as I would imagine that companies upgrade the equipment en-masse And guess what I almost invariably can hear what is going on about the call centre staff - so they are not using high quality microphones are they?

I don't work for BT. So have no idea of the quality of their kit. But do know that we can request different mic's to suit our style. As well as despite being upgraded. Some people still use the old kit they like.

There is no security in asking question that other people would know the answers to. Such as address, name, telephone number, post code. I would accept name and password. But to ask all those other questions is just gilding the lilly, or asking questions for the sake of asking question, to continue the charade that its done for security.

There are only a limited number of questions that can be set. Even then people complain because they can't remember simple stuff they have set up.
Passwords... The biggest cause of failed security... Praise the lord for voice ID.

I had a conversation with the organisation that is meant to be regulating the DPA. They said that the questions should be unique - that is only I and the company would know the answer. How does asking the name, address, telephone number, postcode etc qualify as unique information that only the customer and company would know? And BTW call centre staff - who is it that regulates the DPA? How many questions should be asked to satisfy the DPA? And what questions should be asked to satisfy the DPA? (I have given you a clue about this).

The question has to be unique to you.... And YES you could search the net or dustbins and find just about every bit of info on people if you wanted.
Hence Voice id coming in.
Number of question, well that is upto each company to decide. Hence why some ask more and others less. A lot depend on the level of damage that could be done by a impostor getting in...
Who regulates DPA.... I thought you had spoken to them....

BTW. I have a name... You are the one calling them selves "Call Centers " confused. Or are you just talking to yourself, as I know with attitude like yours. Many staff would simply switch off.

To Infinity
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Mar-17 17:44:59
Print Post

Over this I beg to differ. The password is the only piece of information that both the caller and company know. It really is the only piece of secure information.

And the most anyone should EVER ask is 2 or 3 from said password....
If the staff can see the full password. Then it is as much use as your name as a security question....

Scammers use the whole procedure to well errrr scam. Just to highlight this - I was with TalkTalk. I had a call from someone claiming to be from TalkTalk.
Not the first time that not cooperating withthe caller has saved my bacon.

About the most common scam going... They just change from Microsoft, Talk Talk, BT & another internet related co you can think off....

I am in the practrise now if someone calls to say OK to prove that you are from the company tell me what my password is? If they cant answer, then I tell them to go away.

If you don't want to talk to them, then simply say. "I will call back on a number I know". Simple as that and no staff member would take offence.

Depending on companies. Your password may not be part of the outbound security....

But I know I would never part with any part of a password when called by ANYONE.....

To Infinity
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Mar-17 21:07:11
Print Post

Actually I thought this forum was about unhappiness about an isp
And like others reading this thread I'm still waiting to hear a coherent statement as to your complaint. All I have seen you post to date is a load of irrelevant and incorrect comments rather than explain your problem. We know you don't like Call Centres and have difficulty in explaining your problem however if your conversations are anything like your postings here I would suggest you move on and forget about contacting any call centre as you're not going to find anyone able to help you with your problems.
Standard User fishpan
(learned) Mon 27-Mar-17 22:56:58
Print Post

https://media.giphy.com/media/Vg0JstydL8HCg/giphy.gif
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Mar-17 23:03:43
Print Post

This topic is a waste of time

I expected somewhere in this topic to find a statement of what the issue is. That's 10 minutes I'm not going to get back!

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
(newbie) Tue 28-Mar-17 10:15:39
Print Post

Re: This topic is a waste of time

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
I expected somewhere in this topic to find a statement of what the issue is. That's 10 minutes I'm not going to get back!

Yes you lot have made this topic a complete waste of time.

I imagine that most of those who have commented are actually call centre staff or have been call centre staff. One defensive knee-jerk reaction after another. You are exactly the same here as you are over the phone - arrogant, self-serving, disingenuous, manipulative and narrow minded.
(newbie) Tue 28-Mar-17 10:21:11
Print Post

Well tell me what I already know why dont you.

The point of that entry was to highlight and answer that isp's do indeed perform tricks. Hence, because we have held the price for you, you cannot leave. Comprehend??
(newbie) Tue 28-Mar-17 10:24:54
Print Post

There is no call centre that follows good practise - as you put it. They are all as bad as each other.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Mar-17 10:28:23
Print Post

I do comprehend, but you seem to want a system where if ANY product changes price that even those unaffected are allowed to leave penalty free? Correct or not?

So to give an example, TalkTalk sells broadband with pricing that is fixed for the contract term, but they are allowed to increase the pricing for new customers, so long as existing customers are not affected.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Mar-17 10:29:09
Print Post

So use a broadband provider that does have a call centre - problem solved is it not.

(newbie) Tue 28-Mar-17 10:32:15
Print Post

They admitted that the chat function was a service. And my question after my experience was "whats the point of entering details via the previous page, if when one gets to the actual chat, you have to do it all again?" The only answer they could give was that they was there to answer questions about bt services, which, as they had admitted the chat function is a bt service. So whatever question I asked about the bt chat service was ignored, with could you tell me etc...

Stupid right? To admit that its a bt service then refuse to answer questions about the bt service, while claiming thta they are there to answer questions about bt servce - yes this sentence maybe superfluous.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Mar-17 10:41:19
Print Post

OK, asking for info up front and then not using it is pointless and can see why that would cause some cause for angst - but not to the level you are showing. And whilst they agree it is a "service" it is probably not the "service" that they are there to answer questions about - the workings of the chat service itself are likely dealt with by a back end support team rather than the customer facing teams and so they most likely are not in a position to answer that question.

So, what else specifically did they get wrong? Did they fail to answer your other questions about your other BT services (I am assuming Broadband or phone)?
(newbie) Tue 28-Mar-17 10:42:23
Print Post

There is next to no security.

All you are doing, is finding out whether whomever is calling can give the correct answers. You are not finding out who is giving the correct answers. And yes this point I have made with other organisations such as FOS, when I was making my complaint about Lloyds bank. They agreed.

Thats the stupidity of organisations and their call centre staff. Its kind of like Stockholm Syndrome, or what Joseph Goebels said - if I can repeat a lie enough times, eventually it will be believed". Well mix what Goebels said with Stockholm Syndrome to find the true state of call centre staff.

Besides, security does not lie with call centre staff, it lies with the individual. The trouble is that organisations are hacked - organisations that pool countless security details, that can be got in one go.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Mar-17 10:43:18
Print Post

I imagine that most of those who have commented are actually call centre staff or have been call centre staff. One defensive knee-jerk reaction after another. You are exactly the same here as you are over the phone - arrogant, self-serving, disingenuous, manipulative and narrow minded.

Whilst I don't know for sure I think that is unlikely. At least one person in the thread did post to say they had worked in a call centre but I suspect most of the people posting have never done so (and again at least one has said that is the case). I can also categorically say that I have never worked in a call centre although I did many years ago do second line technical support.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Mar-17 10:48:05
Print Post

It is a problem of any of these services. It is generally quite difficult to categorically prove who you are. Even face to face that is not necessarily easy and is an issue that many companies are grappling with. You want to get a level of certainty that is good enough to secure the transaction but not so much that it makes it almost impossible to deal with the company.

The government tried to do it with rural payments to farmers. They used an identity system which used peoples credit histories to prove identity. There were major problems with the system for various reasons and in the end they abandoned it.

Designing a system that works for everyone has so far been beyond pretty much all companies.

And when you add the potential for hacking of the back end then it doesn't matter what level of secrets you share if the hackers compromise the database then they have access to all of them.

Do you have a magic bullet to resolve this? If so then many companies would pay handsomely for it.
(newbie) Tue 28-Mar-17 10:50:24
Print Post

Asking for info up front and not using it is not limited to online chat, its done over the phone as well. I also like over the phone how they ask why you are calling, then for the rest of the call they claim that you have not told them why you are calling, or you tell them what, and they go on to tell you that you have not told them what you want - repeatedly.

I am old enough to miss the days when you could just call, and not be blagged that they are going to help but first you must anser this question, and once that question is asked, repeat the process that they are going to help but you need to answer this question, then repeat the process again etc .... You used to be treated as a human, not as some machine where if they just say the right phrase they will get the right response for them, like hitting the a on a keyboard and seeing a ont eh screen. It was once civilised.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Mar-17 10:51:34
Print Post

Thats the stupidity of organisations and their call centre staff.
In other words very much like yourself given your postings here. No, I have never worked in a call centre however I understand how they work and also just a little about security, both areas where you appear to know and have learned little and understand even less.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Mar-17 10:56:22
Print Post

There is a solution, close all call centres and if support is needed we pop along to a local help centre and sit across the desk from someone to discuss the problem

(newbie) Tue 28-Mar-17 10:56:52
Print Post

Do I have a magic bullet? The flippant reply is dont do it, dont try.

I once I did some research over the net concerning how many bank accounts are compromised. Its a lot less than you think. Out of 1000 bank accounts 3 are compromised - you can find it on the web yourself.

The point is its highly unlikly that it is going to be anyone else than the real account holder contacting the call centre. We are all nobodies, no marks, are insignificant. Whats the point?
(newbie) Tue 28-Mar-17 10:58:54
Print Post

We can dream, we can only dream!!
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Mar-17 11:08:55
Print Post

There is a solution, close all call centres and if support is needed we pop along to a local help centre and sit across the desk from someone to discuss the problem

There's always Carol Beer from Little Britain LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJQ3TM-p2QI

TalkTalk Business 80/20..(soon to be FluidOne FTTP 330/30)
Netgear R9000 X10 running OpenWRT
My Broadband Quality Monitor
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Mar-17 11:33:44
Print Post

Whilst I don't know for sure I think that is unlikely. At least one person in the thread did post to say they had worked in a call centre but I suspect most of the people posting have never done so (and again at least one has said that is the case). I can also categorically say that I have never worked in a call centre although I did many years ago do second line technical support.

Maybe it's time to stand up and be counted ? I'll start the ball rolling ....

I'm Zarjaz, I use TBB fora, I do not now, and never have, worked in a call centre.

Be loud, be proud sisters. smile

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Mar-17 11:37:21
Print Post

Trouble is, that costs money, and the one thing we brits loathe to do is to pay any more for anything.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Mar-17 11:47:21
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

And very difficult to get to one, when you are working all day yourself.

Perhaps the original poster should join https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/ who promise personal service and no call centres

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Mar-17 12:04:23
Print Post

Also, even if there were local centres they are unlikely to be manned by people any more trained than the call centre. Call centre staff can be highly trained technicians - the reason they aren't is because most calls are pretty basic and paying trained technicians to do first line triage is more than customers want to spend.

In small companies the call centre/front line can be manned by well trained staff because you probably only have a few people fixing things. As you scale up that cannot be maintained cost effectively and so you deskill the front line and give them scripts to answer the simple questions - if they can't answer the questions then you pass up the chain until you hit the level that can.

It's much the same as a doctors/hospital. The receptionist does first line information capture and triage. Then it goes to the second line (perhaps a nurse) who deals with issues within their training. If they can't do it then it goes to a doctor. Then maybe a consultant. Then perhaps a surgeon. No different really in IT / service sector - the difference is the job titles...
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Mar-17 12:38:53
Print Post

they ask why you are calling, then for the rest of the call they claim that you have not told them why you are calling
Judging by your posts on here I can well understand why they would be saying this.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Mar-17 12:42:04
Print Post

Are you saying you want someone on the other end of a chat support service provided by the ISP and running on their web site to explicitly prove that they actually *do* represent the ISP and are not some fake, scam artist? Or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick?

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Mar-17 13:44:29
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

If they initiate the call, then yes. If I initiate the call then no.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Mar-17 13:56:31
Print Post

You are suspicious their web site has been hacked if a chat service box pops up while browsing their site?

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Mar-17 13:58:53
Print Post

You seem a bit paranoid

Have you ever given BT a unique bit of information that you and them could verify? Somehow I doubt it.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Mar-17 14:08:38
Print Post

If you've been informed of a price increase you don't call the EXISTING isp you call the NEW isp you wish to move to. Don't you understand the procedure?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Mar-17 14:45:20
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Sorry, missed the word chat in your post as my mind was on phone calls to call centres...
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Mar-17 15:07:51
Print Post

I once I did some research over the net concerning how many bank accounts are compromised. Its a lot less than you think. Out of 1000 bank accounts 3 are compromised - you can find it on the web yourself.

The point is its highly unlikly that it is going to be anyone else than the real account holder contacting the call centre. We are all nobodies, no marks, are insignificant. Whats the point?

But did that give data on the number of failed (Security worked) cases... I bet not. Sad to say it is a lot higher.
In most cases it is a actual family member as well......

Also depends on just what the compromise is. (but this is not what this thread is about)....

To Infinity
(regular) Tue 28-Mar-17 15:09:15
Print Post

You call us narrow minded then accuse us all of working for call centres.

Why not take the tin foil hat off take a chill pill and be polite next time you ring them you may find they treat you as you expect them to.

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Tue 28-Mar-17 15:22:24)

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Mar-17 15:13:31
Print Post

But just what is the issue here......

Remember that call center staff are there to help you. But when faces with someone like yourself, that simply does not make sense. Given the posts here. I expect you talk in the same riddles.

As well as being very offensive in the way you talk about these very staff....

I have a idea. Take up the chance to work in a call center and see what level of customers you have to deal with...
It will be a eye opener and make you realize just how hard the job really is.

To Infinity
Standard User alexatkin
(regular) Tue 28-Mar-17 16:31:28
Print Post

I have worked for BT, though for directory enquiries. We used http://www.headsetexperts.com/Plantronics_H51_p/H51.htm
Standard User alexatkin
(regular) Tue 28-Mar-17 16:43:03
Print Post

Call centre staff will never WANT to give you the runaround. I can guarantee that their supervisor will be badgering them to get you off the phone ASAP as they have targets to meet.
Standard User ironman12345
(regular) Tue 28-Mar-17 21:45:30
Print Post

The OP does not seem to have a complaint and does not seem to be able to put his/her point over correctly.
Call Centre staff are very busy , these days and just want to try to help.
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Mar-17 23:39:50
Print Post

Reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y wink

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

Andrews & Arnold Data SIM
HUAWEI E5776
(regular) Thu 30-Mar-17 15:47:37
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
Reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y wink

Cheers!

The difference being the video was funny. wink

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Fri 14-Apr-17 18:48:59
Print Post

[re: alexatkin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alexatkin:
I have worked for BT, though for directory enquiries. We used http://www.headsetexperts.com/Plantronics_H51_p/H51.htm

I have used http://www.plantronics.com/uk/product/supraplus-wide... before

CJT.

On Aquiss 80/20 - Speed Test
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Fri 14-Apr-17 19:05:50
Print Post

There is next to no security.

All you are doing, is finding out whether whomever is calling can give the correct answers. You are not finding out who is giving the correct answers.

I used to work for a major ISP, who I won't name. One of the key things that was asked when taking a call or making an outbound call was - "are you the account holder/am I speaking to the account holder"? Why ask that, because if the person say's Yes and completes the security check, but it's NOT the account holder, you (the call centre agent) are not responsible.

There is of course the difference with some companies who allow you to have authorised people on your account, who confirm that they are and maybe give a password, that again is down the the company in question.

I personally worked very hard and did a lot of training to help on the phone, and believe me some people were thankful and others just assumed they knew everything!

It's a job that requires you to have a very thick skin, and lots and lots of patience.

If you have concerns about how a company like BT runs it's call centre, or chat facility, go to BT directly via their own support forum and ask how you can feed back your concerns.

All the best.

CJT.

On Aquiss 80/20 - Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to