General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Psyman
(newbie) Fri 02-Jun-17 15:22:47
Print Post

BT Infinity 1 - Router or network fault?!?

[link to this post]

Hi, hope someone can help please with an issue I'm having with my BT Infinity 1 service (52/10)?

I'm lucky in that I always normally get the full 52/10 (and previously got 75/25 on Infinity 2) as the cabinet is just down the street (maybe 300m away)

About a 2-3 weeks ago my new 'Smart hub' (HH6) started behaving like a disco - disconnecting, reconnecting, going through all the colours. I called BT and after going through the normal checks, factory reset of the router etc, none of which helped, eventually they did a "hard line reset", which seemed to solve the problem - to me this suggested it was some kind of network problem.

Since then, my wireless HP printer has been playing up (periodically dropping its IP) and I continually have to turn it off and on again to get it to work (I suspect the HH6 is the culprit, though hadn't noticed anything untoward in terms of the lights on front panel).

Last Thursday night (25th May) the HH6 started doing the disco thing again (broadband dropping in and out and strange BT wholesale messages coming up on browser screen providing "Service Information" and a list of things I needed to do to proceed?!?). Would post a screenshot but don't know how!

This time the disco included some flashing purple mixed in (indicating no broadband service), which didn't happen before. Called BT and they did tests which showed no issue with network and, infact, they reckon the HH6 had only reconnected once in the last 5 days (despite it cycling through the colours multiple times whilst on the phone to them). The rep I spoke to did indicate that some HH6's are a "bit temperamental" (and some had suffered from internal short circuiting) though...?!? Anyway, they agreed to send an engineer to establish if it was a line or router fault - booked for Tues 30th, because of Bank hol.

Over BH weekend, I got so annoyed with lack of internet (first world probs) that I dug out my old white Openreach router and Home Hub 5. Plugged it all in and internet was stable and usable again - no issues. I always found I got better performance when using the separate modem for some reason, rather than use the HH5 modem, so I stuck with what I know works best.

Called BT to provide an update - they agreed this suggested the HH6 was faulty, cancelled the engineer visit and agreed to send me a replacement HH6 under warranty (though it's yet to be received due to delays in their distribution warehouse & they charged me for delivery - grrr!).

Last night out of curiosity I did some speed tests and the speed was 32 down and 4 up. I repeated these on the BT Wholesale tester and the results were the same and it reported this was OK as my IP Profile was 35 down and 5 up. So for some reason my IP profile / sync speed has dropped.

I obviously couldn't tell if this happened before or after I switched to the HH5, but happened to notice a little noise on the line when I was calling BT before, so carried out a quiet line test (using 17070) and detected occasional but not very loud crackling on the line. Not sure if this is / was significant enough to cause problems or whether this test sound be perfectly quiet?

Called BT again - explained the above - mentioned the slight crackles on the line and IP Profile reduction resulting in significant reduced speeds. They have now arranged for the line to monitored over the next 24-48 hours and, depending on what comes of that, have also arranged a call back for Tues to discuss resetting the IP Profile back to its max for the service.

I couldn't get any connection stats from the HH5 when connected via the OR modem, but I know you guys are going to ask. So have connected the phone line direct to the HH5 and got the following after about an hour uptime:

1. Product Name: HomeHub5
2. Serial number: +076284+1448003295
3. Firmware version: v0.07.06.09028-BT (Type B) Last updated 2/6/2017
4. Board version: 01
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 01:12:43
6. Data Rate: 4296 / 32400
7. Maximum Data Rate: 20275 / 85507
8. Noise Margin: 16.9 / 18.4
9. Line Attenuation: 14.7 / 13.9
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0
11. Data sent/received: 20.7 MB / 475.4 MB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Now the questions:

1) Could the reduction in IP Profile be due to the (probably) faulty HH6 or noise on the line or maybe both?

2) Has anyone had similar experiences with the HH6 and how did they solve it?

3) The line stats seem "normal"... is that right? Speedguide.net suggests SNR of 11-20 is "good" and attenuation of <20 is "outstanding".

i) Wouldn't you expect the two to be related though? I.e. is the fact that the SNR is also not "outstanding" suggestive of noise on line, given how close I am to the cab?
ii) Has mentioning "crackling" on the line started BT on a wild goose chase?
iii) Or is it more likely the potentially faulty HH6 has caused the IP profile / sync speed to fall?

4) Is there anything else I should ask of BT at this stage?

Thanks for any advice / answers / suggestions - you guys are awesome helping someone with little knowledge (but keen to learn!)

Much appreciated!

Simon
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Jun-17 15:31:16
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity 1 - Router or network fault?!?

[re: Psyman] [link to this post]

Any instability that causes modems to resync can mean that the DLM reacts and slows you down to make the connection stable, so it may be the HH6 is failing, broke or just does not like your line conditions.

The max data rates suggest line can do a lot more, and the noise margins indicate there is some spare at the time you grabbed those stats.

To get your speeds back now I'd suggest leaving your modem + HH5 setup in place for a number of weeks, i.e. forget the HH6 totally (one annoyance with HH6 is lack of Ethernet WAN port to allow you to do what you are doing with an external modem).

It is possible the DLM system has banded your connection speeds, but if the line proves much more stable now, this banding should relax in time.

Crackling - if its enough to annoy during a voice phone call when ALL broadband kit (including microfilters) is disconnected then you may have a fault to get fixed.

NOTE: Recent lightning storms may be to blame for a dying modem, they are very sensitive and can be damaged even if no obvious local strikes sometimes.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to