General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User woodwalker
(newbie) Thu 22-Jun-17 15:06:42
Print Post

BT HomeHUb6/SmartHUb

[link to this post]

In Brief: I have a question I hope someone here can answer for me: why does my hub disconnect every 14 days, like clockwork?

Longer explanation: I have BT infinity and get 74mb downloads rock solid. I had the BT homehub 5, which was okay, but would disconnect like clockwork every 14 days and then reboot itself. then it suddenly screwed up the home wifi (i read this was due to a bad update which BT knew abaout but took their own sweet time fixing) so I swapped to a TP Link Archer VR2600, great results, great home wifi speeds, rock solid connection, never once in over a year did it ever disconnect - then for some strange reason, probably another update, my xbox nat settings went and no matter what we tried nothing worked to get access - so long story short, bought the BTHH6, wow, great to set up, great speeds and even faster wifi even out in the garden (40 foot), everything working like a dream - then bang, last night, 14 days later from set up it went off - did not reboot itself and i had to reboot manually - so looks to me like a BT issue - why 14 days? - if it was, as has been suggested in some forums noise on the line or some such then it would be random, not regular like clockwork -- i have noted 14 days in the diary and will see what happens, but it looks like i am back to BT's silly 14 day connection - why?

Sorry for length of post.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 22-Jun-17 15:20:37
Print Post

Re: BT HomeHUb6/SmartHUb

[re: woodwalker] [link to this post]

Why? A lot of people have the 14 day problem. No one knows but many people will guess an answer. The only real solution is to use a different router.
Standard User woodwalker
(newbie) Thu 22-Jun-17 16:31:34
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

thanks - already been down that route as stated and was okay - i was hoping to get some idea of a technical reason why bt would do this or if it can be sorted out not to happen - someone at BT must know!?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 22-Jun-17 16:39:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodwalker:
someone at BT must know!?
So ask them wink
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Jun-17 18:18:03
Print Post

It is also one of my pet hates...
Standard User woodwalker
(newbie) Thu 22-Jun-17 18:31:55
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

thanks for the response - any clues as to what it is? it must be set to do that somewhere, maybe at the exchange or server? i am not technically minded and this stuff confuses me a lot! LOL
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 22-Jun-17 19:27:00
Print Post

It has been happening as long as I can remember. It is clearly deliberate on BT's part, for whatever reason.

I have seen it suggested it is to clear memory leaks before they crash it, and other feasible explanations, but I don't think anybody has ever had confirmation of any particular theory.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 71288/12440Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Thu 22-Jun-17 20:45:33
Print Post

if you look in the router logs it will indicate what triggers the reboots (normally remote update requests)
I have a hub5b, and at times it has done the 14 day reboot, but currently its running at over 90 days
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Jun-17 00:45:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Interestingly the Plusnet router which is just a rebranded home hub 5a does not reboot supposedly.

Some interesting talk in the past of some areas and lines not getting the remote command to reboot... The forums seem to suggest it may be down to differences in equipment on some lines. In all honesty I have zero idea why most lines have this but a select few users do not.

You will find the odd user with 50+ days uptime whilst the rest of us reboot like clockwork.
  Print Thread

Jump to