General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 01-Jul-17 10:51:50
Print Post

Re: Zen - Packetloss Issues

[re: alexsiwft] [link to this post]

Traceroute looks a little odd with the double final hop.

Doing some manual ones, the 6ms jump inside the Zen network between London and Manchester is high, but if consistent no issue

Am seeing some packet loss via traceroute as sometimes pauses, but oddly when I try to ping the IP directly I get no response at all. Being able to traceroute but getting no ping responses to me suggests something configuration in the router.

Time to drop a different modem/router onto the line to rule out oddity in the Fritzbox

Reason being that at times there are distinct patterns to your ping, and even when connection looks idle the packet loss is not reflected by an increase in average latency usually (this changed at 10 pm last night maybe using connection?)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 01-Jul-17 10:57:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Interesting ping woke up for a while then went back to sleep.

To me it looks like maybe some DoS code in the Fritzbox may be causing issues

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User alexsiwft
(newbie) Sat 01-Jul-17 16:15:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Mr Saffron.

So what should my next course of action be? If its a duff modem, Zen need to send a new one, right?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 01-Jul-17 16:30:17
Print Post

Did Zen supply the Fritzbox? If so, how long ago?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 71288/12440Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User alexsiwft
(newbie) Sat 01-Jul-17 16:38:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Less than 2 months ago - yes Zen supplied it.

The BT Engineer tested the line with another modem - that should be enough to justify the modem being the issue then?
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Sun 02-Jul-17 10:13:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by alexsiwft:
Less than 2 months ago - yes Zen supplied it.

The BT Engineer tested the line with another modem - that should be enough to justify the modem being the issue then?

I had this problem in spades about 4 months ago on my Zen FTTC connection using a Fritz!Box 7490. I tried absolutely everything: I rolled back the firmware; re-set the Fritz!Box from scratch (ie; not loading a back up); I sent full diagnostics off to AVM, and the result was nada. I even went through a BT to Zen GEA backhaul upgrade and the problem persisted. I came down one morning and looked at my BQM and the problem just went away. I am now running the latest firmware and my connection has been up and running for 86 days without a re-synch and with a normal BQM.

Thinking back, I found this bit of advice relating to having 2 BQMs running:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/FRITZ-...

I recall turning off the IPv6 BQM at some time during the diagnostics process. Finally, I should add that it was only the BQM that was showing pocketless. Streming etc were absolutely fine as they have always been on the two Fritz!Boxes that I have owned.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to