General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mevvie
(newbie) Thu 10-Aug-17 21:06:54
Print Post

John Lewis already having problems 8 hours into buying

[link to this post]

So they said that the earliest available date for our internet to be activated was within 5 working days, we chose the 17th and they said that was fine and I just got a text out of hours saying they've 'moved' it to the 23rd, almost a full week later. They didn't call to discuss this or give any information so I'll be calling tomorrow to ask them to either put it back or say why they have.

I know that engineers are Openreach and therefore more of an Openreach issue, but I've not been told why so I'll not assume anything yet.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Aug-17 21:23:42
Print Post

Re: John Lewis already having problems 8 hours into buying

[re: mevvie] [link to this post]

This has happened with Plusnet before believe its a case of they have sets of provisional dates and only once it has been confirmed do you find out the proper date

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Aug-17 23:29:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The OP may not have been aware that John Lewis is provided by Plusnet and wonder about the relevance of your post!

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8

Edited by jelv (Thu 10-Aug-17 23:30:08)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pistolpete1980
(newbie) Mon 14-Aug-17 11:40:42
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

The 5 day lead time would indicate restarting of a stopped line or an engineer install (but as not mentioned I imagine this is not the case). The 10 day lead time is related to a migration or working line takeover (home move scenario). I would imagine that the ISP originally assumed the order was to reactive a stopped line but now changed this to migrating a working line. If this is not what you ordered then you may want to drop them a line to find out which type of order they have placed
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(regular) Mon 14-Aug-17 12:51:08
Print Post

[re: pistolpete1980] [link to this post]

I have never heard of JLB, i hope you get better service than these when you eventually get sorted - http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband/providers/john-...

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 14-Aug-17 19:17:13
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

So better than EE, Sky, BT and Talk Talk but not as good as Plusnet who provide the service.

Michael Chare
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(regular) Mon 14-Aug-17 19:31:57
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

TalkTalk (my ISP) have a bad reputation but from the two sites i have visited today i can honestly say i wouldn't touch JLB with a bargepole -
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.johnlewisbroadb...

Standard User kebabselector
(member) Wed 16-Aug-17 07:43:59
Print Post

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

My new line install from JohnLewis is scheduled for today - so we'll see how it goes. Only issue so far has been the fact that Openreach believed I already had a line installed despite me telling the ISP i'd need and engineer visit due to the old line being physically disconnected.

In contrast I tried to get Talktalk to install the same line and also change my dad over to them a few months back. We had constant contradictory emails about both accounts. Cancelled both accounts so after.

ISP's:
Zen: Around 6mb down - .8mb up
JohnLewis BB: TBA
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - Virgin rates variable so not bothering with them.....
Standard User mevvie
(newbie) Thu 24-Aug-17 18:22:39
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

Well, we got our internet setup on the 24th. We had to walk out the Flat towards the Openreach van since he was eating his lunch near to the end of our slot (got a bit worried). He then told us to leave the router unplugged for 30 minutes, drove off without saying he was going to the cabinet and then I called JLB and they said it had been connected. Plugged it in and everything works however we're at 62mbps and not the 'minimum guaranteed access line speed' of 69.4mbps, I don't know if that's worth it to complain about.

It's not gone down yet, nor have I had any 'issues'. If anything, more annoyed with Openreach than JLB. Both times I spoke on the phone to customer service it was UK based so I could actually understand what they were saying.
Standard User 961a
(committed) Thu 24-Aug-17 18:57:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by mevvie:
Plugged it in and everything works however we're at 62mbps and not the 'minimum guaranteed access line speed' of 69.4mbps, I don't know if that's worth it to complain about.

It's not gone down yet, nor have I had any 'issues'. If anything, more annoyed with Openreach than JLB. Both times I spoke on the phone to customer service it was UK based so I could actually understand what they were saying.

Unless you have a house full of folk all on line at the same time you'll never tell the difference in practical terms

If it stays like that there are more important things in life
Standard User mevvie
(newbie) Thu 24-Aug-17 19:07:43
Print Post

[re: 961a] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 961a:
Unless you have a house full of folk all on line at the same time you'll never tell the difference in practical terms

If it stays like that there are more important things in life

I download all of my stuff, every mb counts wink
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-Aug-17 17:50:34
Print Post

Should have gone for a leased line then. smile

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 26-Aug-17 09:54:38
Print Post

Is that 62Mbps the connection/sync speed, or a speedtest result?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 72213/12265Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User mevvie
(newbie) Sun 27-Aug-17 19:13:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Speedtest, would have no idea how to check the sync speed on this router.

found it:

Attainable Net Data Rate: U 16.865 Mbps D66.040 Mbps

Edited by mevvie (Sun 27-Aug-17 19:18:31)

Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Sun 27-Aug-17 20:19:45
Print Post

No that's a calculated maximum value, you want actual net data rate or sync speed.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 28-Aug-17 09:44:26
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

And with luck, in the same place will be the noise margin (SNR margin) and attenuation.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 72213/12265Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User mevvie
(newbie) Mon 28-Aug-17 19:14:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Line Rate: 17.025 Mbps 66.141 Mbps
Actual Net Data Rate: 17.002 Mbps 66.037 Mbps

Total Attenuation: 9.4 dB 11.7 dB
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to