General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User HaShCaKe
(member) Mon 21-Aug-17 14:53:19
Print Post

BT home move woes

[link to this post]

Firstly, sorry for the long post, hopefully it doesn’t come across as a rant.
On Friday 21st July I did the online application for the BT home move and informed them that would be moving on the 28th July and that I wanted to have my line and infinity 2 moved to my new address.
I was given a date of the 7th August for the engineer visit, I thought it was quite good that I would only be offline for a week considering it took a month from date of order to get the install done at my previous address.
I couldn’t find a BT socket at the new address but assumed that as this place was built in the 60s, at some point it would have had a BT line.
When the engineer arrived on the 7th I told him the only phone socket I could find was one for Virgin media.
He took the face plate off and discovered that they had used the same access point for the cable into the property but Virgin had pushed the BT cable back and he was unable to pull it through.
He informed me that the powers that be at Openreach would have to organise digging up the path at the front of the house, run some ducting through and pull the cable through and that this should take about a week to complete.

Within 24 hours I logged onto my account only to find that my activation had supposedly completed so I called BT to find out what was going on.
I was informed that their contractor (Openreach I presume) need to write to the local council to get permission to dig up the path and that the next update would be on Tuesday 15th August and that someone would call me with an update.
So on the 15th I waited patiently until 5pm and no phone call came so yet again I called BT.
This time I was told there was some confusion as they hadn’t originally received the update from the engineer but they had now chased this information and the next update would be on Tuesday 22nd August.
On Wednesday 16th August I received a call from a BT case manager informing me that there was a fault on the line and the next update would be on Friday 1st September.
I informed her that there was no fault as such as the Openreach engineer had checked that the service was working up to the underground junction which is no more than 2 metres from my house and the problem was the lack of cable to my house.
She looked on the system and said “oh yes a dig team has been requested” but insisted that she could not give me any further updates until Friday 1st September.
However, she did agree that BT would refund up to £30 if I bought a mobile broadband package which I have done and also emailed the receipts to her and waiting for the refund.

My frustration is that there seems to be a lack of communication between Openreach and BT there is a chance that even after 4 weeks after they were supposed to install the line, I still won’t have any idea for almost another 2 weeks what is going on.
I could run the cable myself from the junction box (if I knew the wiring but obviously we are not allowed to do this) to the house in a few minutes where it will take Openreach / BT god knows how long to get it sorted out.
I’ve been using a BT line via them of another provider for over 25 years and never had such a long delay with an install or any major problems but I am getting close to considering moving to another company who too be honest have a fibre cable running to the front of my house.
I have spoken to BT about getting out of the contract but got the usual spiel about having to pay the remainder of the contract.
However, there has to surely be a reasonable amount of time they can hold a customer to this before allowing them to cancel without reasonable charges.
I’d rather stay with BT but lack of genuine updates from them is starting to really bug me now.

After searching the forums and the interent in general it seems like I'm the only person to have experienced this in the UK....
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Aug-17 10:02:22
Print Post

Re: BT home move woes

[re: HaShCaKe] [link to this post]

If a public path has to be dug up to provide you with a phone service then it is bound to take a while. It maybe unusual but I doubt that you are the first person to have this problem. Maybe you can monitor the progress by looking out of the window smile

Michael Chare
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 22-Aug-17 10:30:40
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

If you can run a cable in from the junction box, why can't BT?

Where is this junction box?

Edited by BatBoy (Tue 22-Aug-17 10:31:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 22-Aug-17 10:36:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by HaShCaKe:
On Wednesday 16th August I received a call from a BT case manager informing me that there was a fault on the line and the next update would be on Friday 1st September.
I informed her that there was no fault as such as the Openreach engineer had checked that the service was working up to the underground junction which is no more than 2 metres from my house and the problem was the lack of cable to my house.
She looked on the system and said “oh yes a dig team has been requested”.
Presumably promoted from first-line support to stop her talking garbage off the cuff to callers, so she had time to read up the case before calling the customer instead. But just looks at the "Subject" of the problem not the content.

Fail!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 72213/12265Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Aug-17 15:10:22
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

You can't if it requires a path/road/public land dug up... Unless it's on your property. Which from the op, is not clear... Also can you do this anyway?

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....

Edited by JohnR (Tue 22-Aug-17 15:12:42)

Standard User HaShCaKe
(member) Tue 22-Aug-17 20:31:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
If a public path has to be dug up to provide you with a phone service then it is bound to take a while. It maybe unusual but I doubt that you are the first person to have this problem. Maybe you can monitor the progress by looking out of the window smile

I agree, I was never expecting a quick fix, would just like to know what exactly is going on.
Even if Openreach are still waiting to get permission to dig up the path, I'd rather be kept in the loop.
Standard User HaShCaKe
(member) Tue 22-Aug-17 20:35:09
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JohnR:

You can't if it requires a path/road/public land dug up... Unless it's on your property. Which from the op, is not clear... Also can you do this anyway?
[/quote

The path is public and not on my property, if the junction was on my property I would have gladly dug it up if it speeded up the installation.
As the underground junction belongs to BT, I very much doubt a member of the public would be allowed to touch it.
Standard User HaShCaKe
(member) Tue 22-Aug-17 20:37:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
She looked on the system and said “oh yes a dig team has been requested”.
Presumably promoted from first-line support to stop her talking garbage off the cuff to callers, so she had time to read up the case before calling the customer instead. But just looks at the "Subject" of the problem not the content.

Fail!

I have to agree with you as at first she thought it was a line fault.
Standard User HaShCaKe
(member) Tue 22-Aug-17 20:39:53
Print Post

It's on a public footpath so I won't be allowed to touch it.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 22-Aug-17 21:26:11
Print Post

So how does the cable actually enter your property?

Because I have a "junction box" in the street outside and my telephone cable runs underground from there up the side of my exterior house wall to a junction box BT66 like this https://ip2.i.lithium.com/ee114268bbef0cbc52245cd406... and the master socket is on the interior wall. So if the feed to the master socket has been mangled by Virgin, it's a simple task to replace it.
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Aug-17 22:29:28
Print Post

Roadworks.org might well show when the digging will take place.

Michael Chare
Standard User HaShCaKe
(member) Wed 23-Aug-17 00:04:34
Print Post

So how does the cable actually enter your property?

Because I have a "junction box" in the street outside and my telephone cable runs underground from there up the side of my exterior house wall to a junction box BT66 like this https://ip2.i.lithium.com/ee114268bbef0cbc52245cd406... and the master socket is on the interior wall. So if the feed to the master socket has been mangled by Virgin, it's a simple task to replace it.

The only junction box fitted to the external wall of the house is a brown one belonging to Virgin.
It seems like the original BT cable that fed the master socket was originally run directly to the underground BT junction box a few metres from my house, that was also the impression I got from the Openreach engineer when he could not access the cable that he needed to connect to the master socket.
He did say that a junction box would need fitting to the external wall so I guess he was talking about a set up like yours (this would make sense as it would future proof any future connections(s) to the house without needing to dig up the path once they have done it for my connection).
I'm not really up on phone tech but I know that the cables laid down here were done long before Virgin took over the cable network.
I assumed that Virgins system worked via fibre but it appears that they also used the same type twisted pairs copper cable that BT use when they connected this house to their phone service.
Standard User HaShCaKe
(member) Wed 23-Aug-17 00:07:56
Print Post

Thanks for that Michael, unfortunatley it doesn't show any activity for here but I will keep an eye on it.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 23-Aug-17 11:13:03
Print Post

I assumed that Virgins system worked via fibre but it appears that they also used the same type twisted pairs copper cable that BT use when they connected this house to their phone service.
AIUI the VM fibre stops at the larger cabinets, (you can also hear their cooling system running), just like Openreach FTTC.

From that larger cabinet VM run some sort of copper cable to the smaller distribution ones, I don't know what. From those smaller ones they run coax to the premises.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 72213/12265Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Aug-17 13:29:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Fibre to the node which is a cabinet that covers some 2,000 or so premises for the usual DOCSIS cable, then coax cable to sub cabinets which then further split to the coax that runs down streets with amplifiers installed if needed to boost signals

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User HaShCaKe
(member) Wed 23-Aug-17 23:49:49
Print Post

There's an updqte on roadworks.org, looks like BT have scheduled the work to be done between 25-30th.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Aug-17 00:22:18
Print Post

I am glad that it has worked for you. I don't think the way that Openreach is split from BT Retail helps information flow in situations such as you have.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to