General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 01-Dec-17 23:29:31
Print Post

Re: Moved from Sky to Post Office - please help!

[re: Mml] [link to this post]

The 17Mbps advertised is ADSL2+.

ADSL is up to 8Mbps sync. ADSL2 up to 12Mbps, ADSL2+ 24Mbps. But advertised "up to" speeds have to be attained by at least 10% of existing customers.

The + is often missed out by forum users, and may perhaps be by the less savvy ISPs. Basically ADSL2 is not offered at the wholesale level in the UK, so you can be almost certain it doesn't mean that. (It can be configured by many ISPs on problem lines but is not an advertised product).

Those are connection speeds of course, and the actuals vary as explained in most ISPs' blurb. Then throughput/speedtest speed is always lower. By how much and at what time of day is what separates good and cheap ISPs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 74145/13476Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 01-Dec-17 23:29:54)

Standard User dwg1
(newbie) Sat 02-Dec-17 01:07:37
Print Post

[re: Mml] [link to this post]

I am under the impression that the Post Office, use old technology. What has worked for some is changing the DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 (these are Google's public servers). Other public servers are also available, a quick Google search should point you in the right direction smile
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Dec-17 02:29:31
Print Post

[re: dwg1] [link to this post]

This wonít solve the posters problem, and nor will it change your mode from ADSL2 to ADSL2+. Post office use the same technology as all other ISPs, namely ADSL2+ with a noise margin set slightly higher to competitors, a decision taken for stability rather than speed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flippery
(experienced) Sat 02-Dec-17 08:37:02
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Surely stability is more to do with condition of line. A speed limit would reduce bandwidth thus congestion problems of undersize pipe/server
I have run at 3db on TT reseller line without problem, although reseller saying no less than 12db because of errors.
Standard User dwg1
(newbie) Sat 02-Dec-17 10:24:43
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Changing the DNS servers did work for me. My download speed went from 0.5 to 5.5. Before changing the servers I couldn't even get BTWs speed check web page to load up. After the change no problem at all... In addition to this the Sky Q TV box was dropping its internet connection every couple of minutes, after the change of DNS server, no more internet drop outs...

Edited by dwg1 (Sat 02-Dec-17 10:26:30)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Dec-17 12:55:58
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Every line is different, hence why I am a big supported of DLM running. Some lines will drop frequently with 3db noise margin, others are ok.

Almost all lines are stable at 12db, hence by virtue 12db rather than 3db, as a default, is more stable (across all lines).
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to