General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Wed 06-Dec-17 12:20:07
Print Post

Re: TalkTalkBusiness taking forever to fix a fault

[re: Charlaba] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Charlaba:
Have exactly same issue, in that I can not see my web site. It just times out.
Have raised a ticket with Vidahost in hope they have more clout to get issue resolved. Have you done this too? After all not in Vidahost's interest for their clients to be inaccessible.

Vidahost have a bank of servers to host domains on and it looks as though you are also on the same server that we are on which is ns31.sovdns.com This server seems to be the only one that TTB cannot see despite a trace route from other community members from their ISP completing.

To us Vidahost have offered to move our hosting to one of their other servers which TTB can see. The implications of this would mean reconfiguring all our email clients with the new server address, no mean task. But the sting in the tail would see all historical emails being duplicated in Outlook.

Least pain for us would be to change ISPs but a migration can't be completed until after Christmas, requires a migration fee and entering into a new 12 month contract. The ongoing monthly fee would be about £10 more against TTB prices. And all because TTB cannot provide routing to ns31.sovdns.com - it all worked fine until two weeks ago, so what has gone tits up?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 06-Dec-17 12:24:33
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Was it this? https://help.vidahost.com/status/report/6238
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Wed 06-Dec-17 13:25:31
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

What a coincidence this is when the ebb and flow of emails using TalkTalk stopped for us.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Charlaba
(newbie) Wed 06-Dec-17 17:26:22
Print Post

Hi, we have been on to TalkTalk and they are referring to their network team. But they say may take a few days....
Happy to do what you want if you tell me what command you want me to run.
None of my friends with talktalk broadband can see the Vidahost server 195.238.172.50 or my web site www.coachcottagenorfolk.co.uk which sits on the server ns31.sovdns.com .
Have raised a ticket with Vidahost - Viewing Ticket #2249237 but as yet no response from them. waiting on chat for a reply. Would expect action from Vidahost as surely not in their interest to have their clients sites invisible.
Standard User Charlaba
(newbie) Wed 06-Dec-17 17:32:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
In reply to a post by BatBoy:

What a coincidence this is when the ebb and flow of emails using TalkTalk stopped for us.

Interesting. Curious though that Sky Virgin and BT broadband users can see my domain and appear to have no problem.....
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Wed 06-Dec-17 18:06:48
Print Post

[re: Charlaba] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Charlaba:
Hi, we have been on to TalkTalk and they are referring to their network team. But they say may take a few days....
Happy to do what you want if you tell me what command you want me to run.
None of my friends with talktalk broadband can see the Vidahost server 195.238.172.50 or my web site www.coachcottagenorfolk.co.uk which sits on the server ns31.sovdns.com .
Have raised a ticket with Vidahost - Viewing Ticket #2249237 but as yet no response from them. waiting on chat for a reply. Would expect action from Vidahost as surely not in their interest to have their clients sites invisible.

Your domain name is hosted by Vidahost and it sits on the same server that our domain uses. Its IP address is 195.238.172.50

A TalkTalk subscriber who does a tracert command for coachcottagenorfolk.co.uk will find there isn't a path through to the target server, Whereas there are no known instances of a failure from any other ISP.. As end punters we can't imagine what the issues are or how to fix them. But what is blatantly true is there is nothing wrong with our set up when using a VPN connection . All we can say is it used to work fine but hasn't worked ever since the server ns31.sovdns.com was rebooted.

The command prompt command to use is tracert coachcottagenorfolk.co.uk

I'll come back to you later with an update.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Dec-17 18:20:47
Print Post

Perhaps Vidahost are blocking TalkTalk IP addresses? In that case there's nothing TT can do about it, only Vidahost can. I would get on the blower to Vidahost and firmly ask them to sort it out with Talktalk, irrespective of who is to blame.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Wed 06-Dec-17 18:59:08
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Perhaps Vidahost are blocking TalkTalk IP addresses? In that case there's nothing TT can do about it, only Vidahost can. I would get on the blower to Vidahost and firmly ask them to sort it out with Talktalk, irrespective of who is to blame.

Nope not the case, we are assured our fixed IP address is not blocked and they have gone the extra mile by even white listing.our fixed IP. All other servers at Vidahost can 'communicate' with TalkTalk.

The issue started following a kernel update to the ns31.sovdns.com on the 29 November. Probably the number of users that have the combination of being a TalkTalk Business customer AND are hosted on ns31.sovdns.com is tiny but this thread has brought up one other user experiencing the same problem.

As a temporary fix, we have a VPN connection to friend not with TalkTalk and everything is working fine but obviously slower through this scenic route.

To me TalkTalk have messed up big time with the kernel update to ns31.sovdns.com and don't know how to fix the issue. Complete assumption on my part, but what else am I to think?

What a lovely thought of Vidahost and TalkTalk working together to resolve this issue. I think a pig would have to fly over the moon first,

Moving our domain off of ns31.sovdns.com has unacceptable consequences. For that reason we have taken the first steps to migrate to another ISP.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 06-Dec-17 19:04:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
To me TalkTalk have messed up big time with the kernel update to ns31.sovdns.com and don't know how to fix the issue. Complete assumption on my part, but what else am I to think?
I can't see how TT are implicated in any way in a problem occurring when Vidahost updated one of their servers. The fault to me obviously lies with Vidahost.
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Wed 06-Dec-17 19:07:34
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I agree, I doubt TalkTalk Business are responsible for this at all. Vidahost must have done something their end, possibly blocked TalkTalk Business's IP range? I tried tracerouting from my connection as I'm on the TalkTalk Business backhaul, albeit with an AAISP IP address and obvious result was I could traceroute to the domain name mentioned a few posts ago without any problems.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to