General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PatchworkOwl
(newbie) Fri 02-Mar-18 20:54:38
Print Post

KCOMHome/Eclipse: Download speed consistently <500KB

[link to this post]

Honestly, it's like I've borrowed the TARDIS and gone back to 1998 sometimes! Took me 80 minutes to update MacOS yesterday (2GB download). Problem is, I'm stuck with it because it's my father who pays for it and he's "perfectly happy" because he "never downloads anything" (he has an iPad and a MacBook Pro, so he's kind of insinuating that he's never bothered to update their operating systems!).

The thing is, though, I don't understand what package he's paying for (and I've given up trying to get an answer from him). I know it's complete (includes landline and mobile), but I've no idea what it's called! He pays £51 a month (including VAT), and the bill states:

Home Broadband and Calls (50GB)
Fibre broadband 2Mb up. Unlimited calls.

Well I know the upload speed was increased to 9Mb some while ago, and he's told me that our broadband is uncapped. I've never seen a bill from an ISP that states the up speed but not the down (which, surely, is the more pertinent). Any ideas what that might be...? It certainly doesn't match up with any of the KCOM packages listed on TBB (most of the Lightstream packages are less than that and if we were on LS, then even on its shittiest days I'd be getting more than 500KB!).

I'm not entirely sure what the maximum speed is we can get round here anyway (I've checked the availability/exchange map thingy, but it doesn't seem to give an exact figure. Gives BT WDC as 10-20 and FTTC as >40Mb. I had thought that we could get something like 80 or 100, but I've no idea where I've got that figure from (I'm in SL9. Is there anyone else in these parts who could give me an idea?)

Finally, am I labouring under a misapprehension that KCOMHome and Eclipse are two names for the same company now...? I'm confused because 'Eclipse' doesn't have any social media presence, but KCOMHome does. Has Eclipse now been fully integrated into/assimilated by KCOM? Looking at my Web portal on the Eclipse site, there are no packages listed, am I right to presume that's because KCOM is slowly killing Eclipse off...? What's the deal?

He may refuse to migrate from Eclipse/KCOMHome, but I need help to at least persuade him to switch to a better package, because I've been waiting for an 8GB download to finish for the past 6 hours! It's from EA, [censored], so it's hardly going to be a bandwidth issue! I can't cope with this for much longer! The speed is so dire that even streaming radio buffers - even if I drop the streaming quality to 128K! I have given up trying to watch anything on iPlayer/YouTube!

Apologies for this being so long - as you can probably tell I'm more than a little confuzzled (as my grandad used to say).

Thanks for making it to the end (hope it makes some kind of sense!)

PO
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 02-Mar-18 21:40:43
Print Post

Re: KCOMHome/Eclipse: Download speed consistently <500KB

[re: PatchworkOwl] [link to this post]

Difficult for you, I agree.

But surely the bill shows who it is from? It's a legal requirement. Even if it's sent online, the "From" domain will almost certainly show it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 02-Mar-18 21:43:53
Print Post

A second post in case you fail to see an edit smile.

If you run the thinkbroadband speedtest, that will tell you the ISP, or at least the underlying wholesaler.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 76102/14089Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Mar-18 21:56:27
Print Post

I'm with Eclipse and have been since ~2003. After a few years they were bought by KCOM.

A few (4-5?) years ago Eclipse announced they were no longer taking on new domestic business and focusing on business customers. But they would continue to support their existing domestic customers.

I know from my own experience and that of another household I assist that Eclipse continue to provide good UK-based customer support. House moves are also ok. When I had a performance issue last year Eclipse support were very helpful in progressing it, no sign of them not continuing to provide support to domestic users.

A year or two ago Eclipse customers were sent letters/emails stating that from a certain date the broadband package would be unlimited. Don't know whether that was all domestic, I and my friends certainly received that communication.

I haven't looked back to confirm the dates of the various changes I've mentioned so it's best recollection.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
(newbie) Fri 02-Mar-18 22:01:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think you might have misunderstood, sorry if I wasn't too clear. I've done speed tests and they range from 4Mb/s to 7.2. What I'm meaning is that Eclipse is refusing to tell me the speed we're (supposed to be) PAYING for, there are no packages listed on its website (which seems to be a sub of KCOM's business site now), so I literally have no idea but, if I was paying £51 a month, I'd expect at least... well the maximum we can get here is 80, so that).
(newbie) Fri 02-Mar-18 22:15:01
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

I'm pretty certain we've had no such communication - I think we've been with them longer than you. My father had to request to be switched, and Eclipse customer service (if you can call it that) is, as I said, swearing blind we're still on a capped package. I'm getting precisely nowhere with them.

So, if you're saying you were automatically switched to unlimited several years ago, that's very interesting. Could you give me an idea as to when that was (Dad likes to know dates)...? He's been paying 'overdraft' fees (can't think what else to call them) for years because he's refused to switch. If that's the case and we should've been switched automatically then he ought to be entitled to a full refund, right...? So if that's the case, why is George in support denying it...?

I'm EXTREMELY tired and my head hurts.
(newbie) Fri 02-Mar-18 22:21:49
Print Post

I don't think I can post email addresses here but, if Dad wants more info, would you be willing to communicate with him?).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Mar-18 23:02:10
Print Post

A speed test will help to identify what technology you are on, and for ADSL and FTTC (fibre/VDSL2) the key limit is the distance to the exchange or cabinet respectively

You mention 80 which suggests you think you are on a fibre service, but you'd never see 80, since due to overheads maximum speed test is 76 Mbps and then you need to be VERY close to the cabinet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 02-Mar-18 23:25:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by PatchworkOwl:
I think you might have misunderstood, sorry if I wasn't too clear.
I agree I misunderstood, as I failed to realise you know the ISP. I was trying to trace which it was so as to look at their current, and legacy, packages. My apologies.

I was also half asleep it seems, as your Subject "<500KB" looks from other posts to be 4Mbps, which although low by the latest standards is far from lousy.

You said earlier about the BT Wholesale estimates. If you are using the postcode, those are not reliable. Next best is the full address option, and best of all of course, the phone number option.

If you can post up the BT Wholesale estimates using your phone number (or address if necessary), either a screenshot uploaded to somewhere or copy and paste with the load of line feeds removed, including the exchange and cabinet number but removing the phone number or address, that would help us help you smile.

Given that, it is possible some posters may be able to look at past packages that your Dad may be on, though I can't promise they can.

Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-Mar-18 08:46:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by PatchworkOwl:
I'm pretty certain we've had no such communication - I think we've been with them longer than you. My father had to request to be switched, and Eclipse customer service (if you can call it that) is, as I said, swearing blind we're still on a capped package. I'm getting precisely nowhere with them.

So, if you're saying you were automatically switched to unlimited several years ago, that's very interesting. Could you give me an idea as to when that was (Dad likes to know dates)...? He's been paying 'overdraft' fees (can't think what else to call them) for years because he's refused to switch. If that's the case and we should've been switched automatically then he ought to be entitled to a full refund, right...? So if that's the case, why is George in support denying it...?

I'm EXTREMELY tired and my head hurts.
Ok, Prior to being uncapped I was on a 50 GB/month package. I've now gone back through my email archives, and here they are. Not as long ago as I'd thought, memory plays funny tricks.
12 October 2016

Dear Mr ....

Here at Eclipse, we know that you rely on fast broadband connections for your everyday lives. So, we’ve reviewed our range of broadband products to make sure your product doesn’t limit how you want to use the internet; and, as a loyal customer, we want you to be the first to benefit from this change.

Our broadband services have been designed solely for users like you - prioritising your traffic, especially at peak times, to make sure your connection is as fast as possible and giving you completely unlimited monthly usage with no download limit.

Over the next 30 days we’ll move your Home Select X service to Home Pro X unless you’re in the process of moving house or changing product, in which case we’ll review your line when that order completes. To make sure you know when this has been done, we’ll email you to confirm that the switch over is complete.

Best of all, this upgrade is entirely free*, with no change to your current contract length. We’ve also kept your monthly cost at £xx.yy exc. VAT and you’ll still be able to enjoy all of the great features you’re used to with your current service.

If you have any questions about your service, please call us on 0345 122 4111 and we’ll be happy to assist you. In the meantime, we hope you enjoy your new broadband service.

Yours sincerely,

Nick Shepperd
Product Manager

*Only applies to specified service
And then, ok more than 30 days...
14 December 2016

Hi there,

We recently contacted you to let you know that we were upgrading your broadband service.

This is now complete and you can start enjoying your new service, at no extra cost, from today.

We're here if you need us

Making sure you have all the help you need is important to us. Please give our team a call on 0345 122 4111 if anything is unclear or if you have any questions and we will be happy to go through it with you.

Yours sincerely,

Nick Shepperd
Product Manager
I started with Eclipse August 2003 after taking early retirement, I have Broadband only, and still happy with my ADSL service.

Checking my Eclipse Portal I'm on Home Pro X. In the past I've looked at both Fibre and bundling in the telephone service but decided they were expensive and, for me, unnecessary. I get download of about 6.5Mbps and upload of around 0.9Mbps, fine for my present needs.

PM me if you wish to.

I've just spotted this on the Eclipse forum.

Edit to add link.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement

Edited by cheshire_man (Sat 03-Mar-18 08:57:44)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to