General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Jun-18 10:11:11
Print Post

Re: Plusnet

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In the same vein, on changing the servers at a migration there is a slight chance of losing a few incoming emails as the MX records have to propagate through the system. I suppose the same problem is there if you migrate between hosts, but for most of us that is a rarer move than ISP migration. I did it when moving from Prodigynet to TsoHost and Iíve also moved some since to elsewhere. Iím not aware of having lost anything.
Not an issue if you move the mail a week or so before you migrate - when I did this from Plusnet to AAISP it was seamless.

jelv

AAISP November 2016
(Previous ISP Plusnet November 2001 to October 2016) Why I left Plusnet
Telephone rental: Pulse8
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Jun-18 10:13:05
Print Post

[re: sneekyhen] [link to this post]

taking Years to fix known problems is unacceptable
Yes, and one of the reasons I wouldn't go back to them. However, as long as lots of people continue to use them because they are cheaper then there is less incentive for them to improve - why bother if they are getting the income anyway?

Not a great way to look at business but companies do become complacent and in the fight to be the lowest price in broadband these things inevitably happen. What I don't understand is why people put up with being with an ISP if they have serious problems with the way the ISP manages their services?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 14-Jun-18 10:24:33
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

But that was a (very) minor part of my post. Also I wasnít aware of ISPs enabling oneís access to their mail servers before actual migration, but from what you say at least one (well run one) does.

However, it makes my main objection far stronger. It means not simply updating the mail servers on your mail clients, but completely duplicating the accounts in order to access both ISPsí servers for an overlap period.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71307/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Jun-18 13:34:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Waiting to see what happens, my migration away was smooth apart from a lack of 'sorry you are leaving notification' from PlusNet. Ticket appeared after I prodded them - staff could see a migration was underway, so not sure why automated systems could not.

That said the new provider has hardly been a paragon of communication, little or no comms after initial order and online failed, had to phone and they tried to add P&P, queried and got waived immediately.

18 months (or next price rise) and will be trying someone else again

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Thu 14-Jun-18 14:21:24
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

For everyone who complains I suspect there are thousands who are satisfied with their ISP service. I am perplexed by some posters complaining that they get only 78Mb instead of their expected 80Mb, while others boast about downloading 30Gb in one night Ė we wouldn't use that in a month. Fair enough, but again the majority of people may not be so demanding.

We ourselves need reliable and secure BB for banking, Govt agencies such as income tax, car tax and MoT, occasional catchup TV, and internet research. We prefer a landline phone as mobile signal can be dodgy at times. For the past four years PN has provided our ADSL2 package with unlimited phone calls for about £28 per month which we think is good value. Maybe we're lucky but we have never had an outage.

I didn't bother with Plusnet's email because it requires the longwinded address [myname]@[myPNusername].plus.com compared with [name]@fastmail.com as suggested on this forum. Again as suggested, this gives independent mail if one wants to change ISP.

As to the PN forum, voluntary moderators do their best but it's a thankless task especially when the nitpickers come online. I think these mods do a pretty good job Ė as they do on TBB -- and console them with the thought that nobody can please all the people all the time.

Edited by Malwaremike (Thu 14-Jun-18 14:26:54)

Standard User wowitsme
(newbie) Thu 14-Jun-18 15:40:41
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

I will be with my new provider within 12 days time, leaving plusnet for good. Cant wait to move out!!

Getting back to the topic of unhappiness maybe plusnet banning you from the forums was a good thing, maybe you will move to a better isp with better support.

Edited by wowitsme (Thu 14-Jun-18 15:42:29)

Standard User sneekyhen
(newbie) Thu 14-Jun-18 16:33:31
Print Post

[re: wowitsme] [link to this post]

And here lies the problem , If plusnet fixed their problem rather than just giving platitudes to its customers it could be as good as it was when i joined .
But at present its a race to the bottom with Talk Talk , they dont do you proud , they just want customers to sign up
Standard User wowitsme
(newbie) Thu 14-Jun-18 19:37:19
Print Post

[re: sneekyhen] [link to this post]

Plusnet used to be great now ...... there meh
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Jun-18 18:05:45
Print Post

[re: wowitsme] [link to this post]

My line was cut off totally a few weeks ago - I didn't want to migrate as I think FTTC is going down hill around here - so I took out another VM 350 line and so now I have 3 and I bond them together using a bit of cicso kit. I use them for business and they are all business packages.

As everyone, BT included, seems to want to deny me FTTPoD even though it shows as available I took the cheaper option. The rules around wayleave etc changing helped - I can have 5 if I want to but that would probably cause problems at the box.

I have no idea why in this country you have to fight hammer and tooth to get anything,
Standard User sneekyhen
(newbie) Tue 19-Jun-18 07:17:41
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

while i agree Plusnet is a cheap ISP but that is no reason to have Cheap support .
if you report problems with their webmail all you get is a reply " we are aware of problems " ???
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to